Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crossovers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum219/)
-   -   spare key ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1124576-spare-key.html)

mnjettr 12-21-2011 10:51 AM

spare key ?

just picked up a 07 edge for the wife. we only got one key with the car so I went down to the local hardware store to get a spare with no luck. what do we need to do to get one?

lsrx101 12-21-2011 09:18 PM

You will need to get a key made at the Dealer or a good locksmith. Most hardware stores don't carry the blanks due to the cost, they're not cheap like other key blanks.
It's a Transponder key (Anti-Theft) so it will have to be mated to the vehicles anti-theft system with a scan tool before it will start the engine.
You may be able to find blanks on Ebay for a reasonable price, but they will still need to be cut and mated to the vehicle.

If you had 2 good keys, you could have a third cut and mate it to the car with a few quick turns of the ignition. However, since you have only 1, the programming must be done with a scan tool (at a cost of .5 to 1.0 hr labor at the Dealer). I haven't had one made in a long time, but I've heard prices from $30-90 or more for 1 key. Sorry I can't nail it down closer.
Yeah, it's pretty pricy and inconvenient, but its a theft deterrent. If it was easy for you it would also be easy for a car thief, according to Ford.

These days, you should ALWAYS insist on 2 ignition keys as a condition of the sale when buying a vehicle. It is also "cheap" insurance to keep 3 keys in case one is lost.

You might try appealing to the good graces of the seller and try and work the cost out, but that's a really long shot.

Hope this helps.

shorebird 12-22-2011 06:38 AM

Do a thread search for PATS keys, Key programming and other variations.
There are several threads with posts by Tylus and myself.
Buy blanks on E bay.
Get three blanks.
Have them cut to match your original.
Have one programmed and program the other two yourself.
With two programmed keys you can always program additional keys.
I keep four keys at any time for my PATS protected vehicles.
If I lose one I can replace it without a dealer visit.

mnjettr 12-22-2011 08:11 AM

Thanks, looks like I will just get one made at the dealer, then a third one off the net

Beechkid 12-27-2011 07:06 PM

You can order from:
Remotes Unlimited
Key Fobs, Replacement Car Alarm Remotes & Keyless Entry Systems : RemotesUnlimited.com
Houston, Texas
877-719-1900
at a cost that is alot less than any dealer.

lsrx101 12-27-2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by shorebird (Post 11184178)
Do a thread search for PATS keys, Key programming and other variations.
There are several threads with posts by Tylus and myself.
Buy blanks on E bay.
Get three blanks.
Have them cut to match your original.
Have one programmed and program the other two yourself.
With two programmed keys you can always program additional keys.
I keep four keys at any time for my PATS protected vehicles.
If I lose one I can replace it without a dealer visit.

Thanks, Shorebird.
One of these days I will reprogram myself to direct folks toward threads dealing with their "well known issue", instead of replying directly, typing the same answers over and over again, and possibly missing other repair options. :-X22
It's an old habit, and the knowledge base on Internet Forums is getting to be HUGE these days. I started out on BBS's and Usenet, where topics weren't very searchable.
D**N, I feel old, even in "Internet" years!!