Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Writing a paper Ford Trucks vs Chevy (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/112362-writing-a-paper-ford-trucks-vs-chevy.html)

iloveford 04-16-2003 10:30 AM

Writing a paper Ford Trucks vs Chevy

I am a college freshman and I have to write a classification and division paper in my English class. I decided to write it about Ford Trucks vs Chevy Trucks

i was wondering if anyone could help supply some details about both to compare them together, IT would be so appreciated!!

i was thinking about comparing trucks just in general so if anyone has any specs on mileage, wear and tear on either ford or chevy it would be realll helpful...

you could leave a message or a few it would be real helpful

Thanks a bunch

Erica

cobraguy 04-16-2003 01:55 PM

Sorry, if it were an argumentative paper I could help. Comparitive assignments are supposed to be unbiased. I am biased. There are many differences between the two besides appearence and engine design. Suspension is different front and rear for many years. I never had to slam a ford truck door hard to get it to stay shut. Good luck on your paper, Rich

iloveford 04-16-2003 02:04 PM

it is like an argumentative but it has to be compared also...thanks but i fu have some information to provide it would be real helpful though

Carlene 04-16-2003 02:17 PM

Hi Erica and Welcome to FTE.

If you read through this forum, you'll find all types of comparisons for Ford vs. Chevy to assist you in doing your paper.

Also, reading through the many posts in this forum may give you an idea of what particular differences you want to write about whether it's the looks, performance or comfort.

SpearLA 04-16-2003 08:36 PM

Iloveford,
I first became convinced of Ford (truck) superiority in the mid ‘70s’ while working for my cousin in the oil field business (in a small—hilly--town in northeast Utah). Several times he would purchase fleet trucks, both Chevy and Ford—economically motivated to be sure. However, I noticed some very interesting things about the longevity and performance of each. When new, the Chevy’s seemed to out run the Fords on the highways—sometimes we would travel 30-50 miles to the job site (both relatively loaded the same at this point). However, as the odometer steadily increased the performance edge that the Chevy’s first enjoyed declined in proportion to miles accumulated. After about 40k-50k miles on their clocks, the Chevy’s just couldn’t keep up with the Fords any longer. Add another 10k-20k miles on the odometer clock and the empty (relatively speaking) Chevy’s couldn’t keep up with any of the Fords that were just as loaded and pulling trailers to boot (wielders and gas acetylene setups mostly)!
Not only does Ford build tough trucks, Chevy does too, but also I’m convinced that the difference is the power curves between the two. My current Ford 5.4 Screw develops 350 ft lbs of torque at around 2500 rpm; the comparable Chevy engine only delivers 325 ft lbs at an incredible 4000 rpm (must be a Camaro in disguise—not a truck)! To embarrass the Camaro’s, Ford’s answer is the Lightning F150!
I have to laugh-out-loud, every time I see a Chevy truck commercial on TV where they claim the most HP in class!
Just my personal opinion. LA

Mil1ion 04-16-2003 09:38 PM

Erika,
What you have biten off it HUGE.

There are :
Generation differences
Size of company and where their plants are located.
Philosophies
Market share
Divisions
Design
Marketing
Engineering

Can you narrow it down, or are you trying to write the
"War & Peace" version ?

iloveford 04-16-2003 09:45 PM

i really wanted to compare durability of the both
what kind of truck has the better mileage, what one takes the regular wear and tear better.......virtually the better buy paper

the engineering abd which one has more space used efficiently

Mil1ion 04-16-2003 09:51 PM

For which years ?

Ford has re-designed and engineered a new truck for 2004

GM CHevy will be in 2005 I think.

Which generation ?

iloveford 04-16-2003 09:55 PM

more just in general..

i know that of all the trucks we have owned the Ford's were always the least worked on, the chevy's really didnt perform until you messed with the engine (dad was a mechanic, now he works for ford) then they would go after a few thousand miles

if i go specific i think the easiest comparison would be the chevy z71 to the ford f150

what do u think?

erica

truckfreak69 04-16-2003 11:19 PM

Compare the 88-1998 Chevy to the 80-1996 FORDS :)

Or even 99-present Chevy with 97-present Fords

You can mention the CSK issue with the chevy as well as the DRL's always burning out, etc. But ford had trouble with door cracks and some other things too...

iloveford 04-16-2003 11:23 PM

i see

thank u, im just truying to figure out how to do this in a tasteful unbiased way

what about trim levels chevy vs ford???

that would work and it is all laid out, then i could go into engine performance and personal experience????

what do u think?

Mil1ion 04-17-2003 02:03 AM

I have an idea to make this easier for everyone.

How about,
if you outline everything you already know from your research you have done so far and let us all know how we might be able to help ?

Point form or Scientific experiment form makes no difference.

So please set everything out in say a word program on your puter and paste here in the thread and we'll see how far you have come on this, this would be a benefit for us to help you.

I'll have the guys hold off posting until you have supplied us with the material have already.

This will keep everything orderly and easier for all to digest.

ktmguy70 04-17-2003 05:34 AM

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...xped_misc.html

Go to this web site, you will Find that Ford complaints in the Truck depratment, NAMELY EXPEDITIONS and trucks with the 5.4 motor
are HUGE... NUMEROUS complaints, problems ,extremely poor service records and just plain design flaws, add to that the horror stories of fords lack of standing behind their customers and its just short of horrific.
Heads Leaking, trannys failing after 13,000 miles, transfer cases, Spark plugs blowing out? Spare tires falling off? Geesh..
There are complaints in their about chevy trucks too, so its not Biased, (as well as dodge etc...) But the Compliants in the ford department outnumber the chevy by a margin of about 7 to 1.
As an Owner of an expedition and already having Tranny rebuilt at 40,000 miles, transfer case leaking, and Oil MYSTERIOUSLY disappearing.. I am not thinking My problems will get any better.

Ron
99 EXPY XLT 4.6 (puny motor)

ktmguy70 04-17-2003 05:56 AM

May 28, 2002
Plagued by plunging profits and embarrassing quality problems, Ford is getting tough with its suppliers, demanding they cut defects by 25 percent or lose Ford's business. At the same time, Ford is preparing another round of reductions in the prices it pays for parts.

Ford's warranty costs increased 16 percent last year to $2.2 billion and the company endured a humiliating round of recalls, callbacks and disastrous publicity surrounding the Explorer rollover problems.

In recent years, Ford has ranked behind both General Motors and DaimlerChrysler in internal reports that measure consumers' satisfaction with overall vehicle quality. The three automakers all rank well behind Honda and Toyota.

Whether Ford's demanding more for less from its suppliers is a realistic solution to its problems is open to question.

"Ford has deep-seated and very significant structural problems that will take many years for them to address," one auto industry analyst told Automotive News. Ford officials say that 76 percent of the company's quality problems are caused by its largest suppliers, the so-called "Tier 1" suppliers who provide 87 percent of Ford's outside parts.

Whatever the cause, quality problems played a major role in Ford's dismal financial performance last year, when the company lost $5.45 billion.

Ford Motor Co.

Ford doesn't seem to be as eager to resolve quality issues as it once was. Not Job 1 anymore? This is nowhere more evident than in Ford's handling of an epidemic of head gasket failures in its widely-used 3.8L V-6 engine. Although Ford has extended the warranty on some models, many questions remain. This type of behavior has turned a lot of longtime Ford owners into bigtime Ford haters, like Preston, who daily tows the hulk of his Ford out to the road where everyone can see it. On the other hand, Automan says some Ford owners have brought some of their misery on themselves.

Airbag problems
Brake problems, Taurus and Sable
Spark plug blow-out, Expedition, F150, et al
Engine problems in the F-350 pickup
Flaming Fords
Fires in the F150
Ford Explorer
Ford Ranger
Ford Taurus
Ford Windstar
Ford Expedition
Lincoln Mercury Villager
Mercury Sable
Paint Problems, Newer Fords
Paint Problems, Older Fords
Transmission Problems

WXboy 04-17-2003 08:55 AM

If you look at recall databases on the internet, you will notice that GM and Ford have both issued tons of recalls over the last decade.

The difference is this: GM's recalls address issues that are potentially life-threatening. Brake line failures, transmission fluid spraying out of the vent tubes starting fires, inadequate brake caliper pressure, failure of steering components, on and on and on. I personally had a scary experience when the transmission on my Z71 locked up on me running 65 miles per hour down the interstate. It in turn locked my rear tires down, sliding me off the road. Fortunately I maintained control of it. That same truck stranded me in the middle of nowhere when the fuel pump died instantly one night.

Ford's recalls are mostly aggravating little problems. Things that are common when you mass-produce a certain product. I feel a lot safer in a Ford than a GM product.

Everyone knows that in the U.S., Dodge trucks have the most consumer complaints among full-size truck owners, so we won't even get into that.

For your paper, you could focus on how GM puts all their engineering into their engines, and forgets about the rest of the truck. Plastic pieces on the interior breaking here and there, body panels losing their paint, doors becoming hard to close over time, electrical problems, 4x4 system failures, all kinds of things that are common among the poorly-engineered GM products.

The overall quality of Ford trucks is SIGNIFICANTLY higher. That can be seen in the fact that the F-150 is the #1 selling automobile on the planet. The Ranger is the #1 selling small truck in the country for 16 years in a row. The Explorer is the #1 selling SUV in the world, on and on.

Opinions are like butt-holes. Everyone has one, and it stinks. Facts are facts...there is lots of evidence that Ford makes better trucks out there. Just dig it up. Good luck on your paper.