Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Adjusting Headlights (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1122364-adjusting-headlights.html)

Nobby 12-12-2011 04:58 PM

Adjusting Headlights

Can someone please tell me how to adjust the headlights on a 1994 Ford F150 XLT Flareside? They are cross eyed.....

Thank you,

Gary
Miami Texas

danr1 12-12-2011 05:23 PM

Ya gotta open the hood to see the adjusters, the one accessed from the front by the corner of the headlight rises and lowers point of aim, the adjuster standing vertical behind it adjusts right and left.

Once you have the hood up you'll find em, takes a external star or torx driver something like that to adjust them I don't recall exactly at the moment.

Nobby 12-12-2011 05:35 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

Gary
Miami Tx

DIYiT 12-12-2011 06:42 PM

Unfortunately, what danr1 said will only adjust the height. To take it from cross-eyed to pointing straight ahead, it'll be easiest to pull the grill, then pull the entire black header panel with the lights still installed. The headlights are held on with three mounting points, the bottom outside is the height adjustment while the top outside and top inside are fixed. You'll need to adjust the top inside stud to move the headlights inward and outward.

264WSM 12-12-2011 07:40 PM

That reminds me that mine are looking at the power lines. Never noticed it until we got the short days.

danr1 12-12-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by DIYiT (Post 11146213)
Unfortunately, what danr1 said will only adjust the height. To take it from cross-eyed to pointing straight ahead, it'll be easiest to pull the grill, then pull the entire black header panel with the lights still installed. The headlights are held on with three mounting points, the bottom outside is the height adjustment while the top outside and top inside are fixed. You'll need to adjust the top inside stud to move the headlights inward and outward.

Huh? no no need to remove anything, only need open the hood to access both the vertical and horizontal head lamp adjusters.

Nobby please don't take it all apart if you have any trouble at all in locating the adjusters? doubt you will but if you do? Just let me know and I will go out side and take pictures of them, then post them here for you.

White 97 xlt 12-12-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by danr1 (Post 11146508)
Huh? no no need to remove anything, only need open the hood to access both the vertical and horizontal head lamp adjusters.

Nobby please don't take it all apart if you have any trouble at all in locating the adjusters? doubt you will but if you do? Just let me know and I will go out side and take pictures of them, then post them here for you.

^^^^ X2 ^^^^
No need to do anything but raise the hood to reach BOTH V & H adjusters!!!

If one of the mounts is broken then that is a different story....

TheWhiteBeast 12-12-2011 07:59 PM

I find they are at their best when they sit flush with the bezel.

Scott Stewart 12-12-2011 08:56 PM

Don't know about the rest - but on my 1994 F150 The only adjustment is side to side without taking off the trim bezels. The up and down adjustment was a Philips screw head while the other adjustment was something like a 3/16 or smaller socket. I parked the truck close to the garage and taped a piece of tape in line with the headlights and headlight centers along with the center line of the hood on the garage door. The I backed out about 20 feet and adjusted the lights to centerline on High beams.

DIYiT 12-12-2011 10:41 PM

I'm almost certain that I had only height adjustment without having access to the Phillips screws on the light. I guess I could be wrong since I've got a set of crystal headlights now.

danr1 12-13-2011 04:21 PM

I happen to be outside with the camera by one of the trucks so I grabbed this shot.

Post it a minute for any that might have trouble locating the second one (shows up in any future search results as more complete thread), clear up any confusion there might be on exactly where the head light adjusters are located.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...DSCF6810-1.jpg

Gotta fold the rubber back from rad support little bit to see/access one of them that is hidden from view just below it.

Nobby 12-13-2011 09:03 PM

are there two or three of the adjustment screws?

Gary
Miami Texas

danr1 12-13-2011 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nobby (Post 11151203)
are there two or three of the adjustment screws?

Gary
Miami Texas

Two of them, not to say you can't change the pivot point in or out little if needed really shouldn't need to though.

Easier to do if using something like this.

Lisle 14540 Headlight Adjust Ratchet for Ford