Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Safest Tuner for a 04 6.0? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1121734-safest-tuner-for-a-04-6-0-a.html)

PRDATOR 12-10-2011 09:04 AM

Safest Tuner for a 04 6.0?

Guys I've got a 04 6.0 and have had LOTS of issues with it this year its at 167000 and Ive had to do way more to in that I ever thought I should.

With that said I run a Supper Chipps 1704 on High Performance and Im thinking that may be some of the issue ( I don't do real radical stuff with it but do drive it "fast" ( 85 on the turnpike)
I don't have gauges so Im looking at the Edge Juice with attitude, any thoughts on this?

Shaneb75 12-10-2011 09:16 AM

When I saw turnpike I knew you were an Okie... :-X22

I believe that most will suggest SCT with custom tunes my Matt @ Gearhead Performance. There is one other that writes custom tunes for the 6.0 but I can't remember who. This is on my wish list a long with head studs and 4" exhaust.... }>

A lot of folks here have Scan Gauge II to keep an eye on things. The 2 biggies it doesn't read is fuel pressure and exhaust temps. That is because the truck does not have sensors for these items... Very much worth the money and can be bought or ordered from Auto Zone.

PRDATOR 12-10-2011 03:02 PM

I forgot to say I have ARP head studs and just had the head gaskets, oil cooler, egr cooler, and HP oil pump and they were all separate trips to the shop.:-arrgh

The tech said SCT to... SO with one would y'all suggest?

Special Ed 12-10-2011 04:33 PM

SCT
Matt @ Gearhead Automotive Performance
SRL & 8K Tow tunes

cheezit 12-10-2011 06:39 PM

I have been running matts tow tune as a daily driver, works great for me.

Special Ed 12-10-2011 06:45 PM

I just started running the tow tune today myself. I seem to like it over the SRL tune.

cheezit 12-11-2011 09:32 AM

Im running now in the winter. shifts great and wont peel the tires up to bad in the rain, and now with the moring ice that should start to build up soon.

jkudera 12-11-2011 01:46 PM

i went with the new sct touch screen . very nice and you can monitor a whole lot of stuff. got the egt sensor for it also. pricey but very nice. went with erics tunes at innovative

texasdynarider 12-14-2011 07:54 PM

What does the SRL tune stand for if yall dont mind me asking... Will these tunes work for a non studded 04 with a delete

dlibson 12-14-2011 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by PRDATOR (Post 11136399)
Guys I've got a 04 6.0 and have had LOTS of issues with it this year its at 167000 and Ive had to do way more to in that I ever thought I should.

With that said I run a Supper Chipps 1704 on High Performance and Im thinking that may be some of the issue ( I don't do real radical stuff with it but do drive it "fast" ( 85 on the turnpike)
I don't have gauges so Im looking at the Edge Juice with attitude, any thoughts on this?

You surely need gauges ASAP, and a coolant filter if not already installed. I run the Edge JWA, and I love it. I've heard of issues with it and the autos. But I don't have an auto...

Special Ed 12-14-2011 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by texasdynarider (Post 11155013)
What does the SRL tune stand for if yall dont mind me asking... Will these tunes work for a non studded 04 with a delete

SRL= street race lite
They have a good track record so far on non-studded 6.0's is the word on the street but like anything else if you get crazy with it I'm sure you can pop your top. I ran it for a few weeks & it is a bit much for me. Im running his 8K tow tune right now & loving it.

EXbowtieguy 12-15-2011 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 11138272)
I have been running matts tow tune as a daily driver, works great for me.

Any noticeable change in fuel economy between this and the SRL ? I'm still trying to decide between Matt and Eric.

The reason I ask is because I took a nearly 3 mpg hit between the performance and tow50 canned tunes from SCT. Hard to believe the "funner" tune nets better mileage but it did with my set up on a 3 tank per tune hand calculated average.

Special Ed 12-15-2011 11:35 AM

Between the SRL & the 8K tow Im averaging a loss of 2 MPG on both driving the same as with the stock tune. Stocker drove like a worm though but drive ability is much better with either tune.