Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Purple power for coolant flush? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1121226-purple-power-for-coolant-flush.html)

spindler52 12-08-2011 11:28 AM

Purple power for coolant flush?

I've got my oil cooler and egr delete kit ready to install, obviously I have to drain all the old coolant out and do the flush and fill technique before I replace everything. I read the tech article on the chemicals you're supposed to use like VC-9, Fleetguard restore, etc. Someone told me I should use purple power degreaser (diluted of course) along with water to flush out the system, but more than likely I will use Fleetguard restore. Is purple power even safe and/or dependable to use when flushing the cooling system in a case like this?

2004 ford f250, 6.0 4x4

zhilton 12-08-2011 11:37 AM

I use it to wash the truck on the outside...not sure about on the inside of the coolant system. The only reason you'd need a degreaser in your coolant system is if you've had an oil cooler pop. Otherwise the VC9 will do everything you need. You may need to back flush the system after the VC9 because there's a chance it going to knock some crap loose. There have been guys report having their oil cooler fail within a short time after doing a coolant flush.

Maxium4x4 12-08-2011 11:38 AM

First question since I do not the history, do you now have oil in the coolant? That is why you would use the detergent.

spindler52 12-08-2011 11:41 AM

@Maxium4x4: Yes there is oil in the coolant as of now. So purple power would be a go?

Dieselpop 12-08-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by spindler52 (Post 11128830)
I've got my oil cooler and egr delete kit ready to install, obviously I have to drain all the old coolant out and do the flush and fill technique before I replace everything. I read the tech article on the chemicals you're supposed to use like VC-9, Fleetguard restore, etc. Someone told me I should use purple power degreaser (diluted of course) along with water to flush out the system, but more than likely I will use Fleetguard restore. Is purple power even safe and/or dependable to use when flushing the cooling system in a case like this?

2004 ford f250, 6.0 4x4

I have never used purple power and i don't think someone like Cummins use it. I use Restore and Restore+ and 48 gallons of distilled water. Restore first to remove the goo-slim and then Restore+to remove mineral buildup
http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/produ...LI33024-GB.pdf
pop

Dieselpop 12-08-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by spindler52 (Post 11128863)
@Maxium4x4: Yes there is oil in the coolant as of now. So purple power would be a go?

Different story you will need to change out all hoses also and may have to pull the radiator and have it cleaned also.
pop

spindler52 12-08-2011 11:53 AM

Alright, i'll order the hoses today. As for the radiator, is it something I have to take in to have it professionally cleaned or can I do it myself?

Maxium4x4 12-08-2011 12:07 PM

Depends on how much time you have and how bad the system is contaminated. I know most used Simple Green to clean the system.

Dieselpop 12-08-2011 12:10 PM

I would think you would have to take it in but you need to do the flushing first if you can hope the oil leak is not that bad.
pop
PS how bad is the oil leaking into the cooling system

spindler52 12-08-2011 12:20 PM

@Maxium4x4: Ok, well the coolant is slightly brown. Not sure if that reflects the actual amount of contamination in the system but regardless, sounds like i'll be undertaking the project this weekend and picking up some real good degreaser at wal-mart today.

@Dieselpop: I actually discovered the coolant looked unusually darker last week and noticed a thin film of that oil shine on the surface of the coolant. That was enough for me to ground my truck in my garage. It's not a substantial change in color, it just has a darker tint so I suppose the leak's not too bad.

zhilton 12-08-2011 12:34 PM

I've never heard of anyone having to remove their radiator to get it clean. But I guess if you really wanted to spend the time to take the truck apart...go for it:-X22 Personally I'd dump as much coolant out of the truck as I could; and start flushing with a degreaser; then VC9; then back flush to keep the crap from plugging the new oil cooler. Several folks have done that in the past and it worked for them; and when the time comes that's what I'm going to do to my truck.

Dieselpop 12-08-2011 12:43 PM

If you can do an egr delete that would be good and a good place to get parts 2005 Parts - Tousley Ford Parts Depot for an oil cooler and get a good set of gauges ScanGaugeII or Edge Insight CTS they are needed in a 6.0 for many reasons.
other places
BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0
GoGoDiesel EGR Delete System The most advanced EGR delete system for your 6.0L Powerstroke.
This may help
NT Shoptools.com, Mesa
pop

Dieselpop 12-08-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by zhilton (Post 11129026)
I've never heard of anyone having to remove their radiator to get it clean. But I guess if you really wanted to spend the time to take the truck apart...go for it:-X22 Personally I'd dump as much coolant out of the truck as I could; and start flushing with a degreaser; then VC9; then back flush to keep the crap from plugging the new oil cooler. Several folks have done that in the past and it worked for them; and when the time comes that's what I'm going to do to my truck.

I don't know, i have never been down that road this is only what i have read and what bismic has said if i remember right, i have been wrong in the past.:-X19
pop

spindler52 12-08-2011 12:53 PM

@Zhilton: Yeah, i'm not sure if i'm going to actually remove the radiator or not (although i've done it before it's a bit*h) because the leak isn't too bad, i'll just have to see how much time I have, most weekends for me are 95% free ;)

@Dieselpop: I bought an EGR delete kit when I got my oil cooler last week and I plan to get gauges after I get everything put in. One of which is definitely going to be EOT

Dieselpop 12-08-2011 01:01 PM

Looks like you are about 2 weeks ahead of the game good luck to you hope it all goes well.:-X22
pop