Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   What Shocks? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1120115-what-shocks.html)

firedaniel 12-03-2011 08:31 PM

What Shocks?

Ive been looking at different shocks for my stock 06 2wd F350. It has Monroe shocks on it when I bought but they are pretty much shot. I doubt I could get the replaced under warranty. Has anyone use Daystar? Saw them on Autozones website. Made in US they seem good just not many reviews. I also saw the Bilsteins and Gabriels. The roads here in TX suck and a pretty rough. I dont want something that rides too rough... Just curious what you guys have done...

Let me know

Thanks
Daniel

Maxium4x4 12-03-2011 10:03 PM

Any shock would be better than worn out. Did you check this thread at the top of the forum? Rancho 7000's Might be a good chance if you contact Rancho they may have a Christmas deal for you, worth a try. :D

dlibson 12-03-2011 10:18 PM

I always use Monroe's myself. Depending on which Monroe you have, they are lifetime warrantied. My preference is the Reflex shock...

firedaniel 12-03-2011 10:26 PM

I wonder if I could get them exchanged somewhere? I didnt purchase them they came with the truck...

dlibson 12-03-2011 10:36 PM

Some of the parts stores will. The base Monroe-matics don't have the lifetime. The Sensatrac and Reflex do. If you have O'reilly stores around, just ask them if they will. They have for me before.

jedlane8870 12-03-2011 10:39 PM

I put bilstein 5100 on my 05 4x4 after putting on the gabriel max shocks and being unhappy with the ride quality

FICMrepair.com 12-03-2011 10:50 PM

I like the adjustable feature of my Rancho 9000XL's. I can switch between harshness levels depending on whether I am towing a lot at that moment or not. I didn't spring for the change on the fly from the cab option since I didn't need to change it all that often. The adjustment takes about two minutes start to finish and can be completed without getting under the truck.

They are awesome.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

SoCalSuperDuty03 12-04-2011 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by firedaniel (Post 11110865)
Ive been looking at different shocks for my stock 06 2wd F350. It has Monroe shocks on it when I bought but they are pretty much shot. I doubt I could get the replaced under warranty. Has anyone use Daystar? Saw them on Autozones website. Made in US they seem good just not many reviews. I also saw the Bilsteins and Gabriels. The roads here in TX suck and a pretty rough. I dont want something that rides too rough... Just curious what you guys have done...

Let me know

Thanks
Daniel

For all the lifted trucks I have done over the years, I have used Fox, King and Bilstein (5100, 5150, 7100's), all with excellent success.

On stock height trucks, both 2WD and 4WD, I have used pretty much everything available, Gabriel, Monroe, Rancho, KYB, Old Man Emu (popular with the Super Duty crowd in Australia), and Bilstein 4600 series.

FWIW, The absolute best shock in my experience for the stock height Super Duties, have been the 4600's. In terms of driveability/ride, heavy tire/wheel assembly control over rough areas, and longevity. I have a set on a truck with 102k... on the shocks! And they still work excellent!

The owner is a friend of mine and he still is amazed at the longevity, and how well they work with all those miles on them (I am too really).

EODguyJake 12-04-2011 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by 5030tinkerer (Post 11111298)
I like the adjustable feature of my Rancho 9000XL's. I can switch between harshness levels depending on whether I am towing a lot at that moment or not. I didn't spring for the change on the fly from the cab option since I didn't need to change it all that often. The adjustment takes about two minutes start to finish and can be completed without getting under the truck.

They are awesome.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

x2 on all of this. I hardly ever adjust mine, but being able to mess around and find the setting I'm comfortable with and then just leave them alone is worth the money to me.

2006powerstroke90 12-04-2011 08:14 AM

I have Monroe Reflex's on my truck, I just installed all 4 of them....I can tell the difference, but then again I believe my old shocks were never changed I have 211,000 on em

firedaniel 12-04-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by dlibson (Post 11111269)
Some of the parts stores will. The base Monroe-matics don't have the lifetime. The Sensatrac and Reflex do. If you have O'reilly stores around, just ask them if they will. They have for me before.

The ones I have are Monroe Magnums. They are lifetime too...

FICMrepair.com 12-04-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by EODguyJake (Post 11111573)
x2 on all of this. I hardly ever adjust mine, but being able to mess around and find the setting I'm comfortable with and then just leave them alone is worth the money to me.

I didn't mention that point, but wholeheartedly agree. I don't even think that I paid a premium for them since 4wheelparts.com had a special going.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Ricson 12-04-2011 01:42 PM

I have a set of 9000XL nice shock the only time i play with adjustments is when I'm towing. I pick them up couple years ago on sale for $299 plus a $100 rebate from Rancho. Pretty reasonable at $50 each.

FICMrepair.com 12-04-2011 01:53 PM

That sounds like the same deal I hopped onto, Rick. It comes around periodically. The shocks were an incredibly easy install and, combined with the RAS system made all the difference in the stability of the ol' Excursion hooked to a 33' travel trailer.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Smokeispower 12-04-2011 03:39 PM

I have to say that the Bilstein 5100's I installed a few weeks ago are a vast improvement over the stock FX4 option shocks. A much more controlled ride at all times and no more axle hop over bumps while turning. I've used Monroes before on other vehicles but all the positives I heard about Bilstein made me go for them. I'm sure there are others, perhaps it boils down to what's on sale.