Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum51/)
-   -   Best 390 Intake for truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1118640-best-390-intake-for-truck.html)

FossenRacing 11-27-2011 09:34 PM

Best 390 Intake for truck

Have a 4x4 1974 F-250. will be dropping in rebuilt 390 with 10.5 compression, a large cam, rebuilt heads, custom built headers, 650 dp holley, and a great ign system.
Need to know what intake to throw on.
Will be running 1500 to 6500 rpm
I know i need dual plane.
I have ford/shelby sidewinder, blue thunder 428cj, or dove 4v single plane in mind.
I am not a fan of edlebrock. so that rules out them.
any other good manifolds out there.
Is the shelby sidewinder the best or ?
can get a C6AE-9424-J sidewinder.

stryder 11-28-2011 07:39 PM

Just find a CJ iron manifold. You can usually find them cheaper than the 3 you mentioned, and it is just as good. Just remember, it's a truck. So the extra weight of the iron is not a big deal.

FossenRacing 11-28-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by stryder (Post 11090334)
Just find a CJ iron manifold. You can usually find them cheaper than the 3 you mentioned, and it is just as good. Just remember, it's a truck. So the extra weight of the iron is not a big deal.

I mud race this truck and shave as much off it as I can. But it doesnt make the truck any faster so I do see your point.
My other truck has a dominator. And I think I can get more out of any other intake. I do have a d5 te 4bbr and a c5 ae intake but don't have the full part numbers. But maybe The c5 is a cj. I will look into it. If it is I will use it and spend the money somewhere else.

Sleepy445FE 11-28-2011 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by FossenRacing (Post 11090761)
I mud race this truck and shave as much off it as I can. But it doesnt make the truck any faster so I do see your point.
My other truck has a dominator. And I think I can get more out of any other intake. I do have a d5 te 4bbr and a c5 ae intake but don't have the full part numbers. But maybe The c5 is a cj. I will look into it. If it is I will use it and spend the money somewhere else.

Don't bet on it. The Street Dominator is a great intake for these power levels. In standard form it performed virtually identical to the CJ in Jay Browns book. Port matched to the heads added an extra 30hp.

I hate to break it to you but the intake that fits the bill here is the Edelbrock Performer RPM. Any reason why you don't want it? I mean it's not a carburetor it's a piece of cast aluminum. No working parts or tuning to have a preference on. The fitment was great on mine.

You've asked quite a few questions about which intake is best. Why not just by this book, FE Power - Dedicated to Building and Racing the Ford FE Engine, 390, 427, 428, SOHC, and find out yourself how they stack up on the dyno.

DeepRoots 11-29-2011 12:46 AM

You've asked quite a few questions about which intake is best. Why not just by this book, FE Power - Dedicated to Building and Racing the Ford FE Engine, 390, 427, 428, SOHC, and find out yourself how they stack up on the dyno.
maybe because it is easier to ask the same question several times until you get the answer that you wanted?

FossenRacing 11-30-2011 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sleepy445FE (Post 11091304)
Don't bet on it. The Street Dominator is a great intake for these power levels. In standard form it performed virtually identical to the CJ in Jay Browns book. Port matched to the heads added an extra 30hp.

I hate to break it to you but the intake that fits the bill here is the Edelbrock Performer RPM. Any reason why you don't want it? I mean it's not a carburetor it's a piece of cast aluminum. No working parts or tuning to have a preference on. The fitment was great on mine.

The book costs me 100 dollars, they dont have a stock 390 stroke and they dont use stock truck heads. so i may as well buy a book on 460 intake comparisons and use that.
Ask here= FREE and usually its a stock 390
I just dont like edlebrock. They dont put the fine detail into stuff.
which is why it cheaper. I dont care where its made as long as you get results for your dollar.
and i havent seen it from edlebrock products on fords.
Edlebrock is directed towards chevies cause thats were they make there money. and if they make a chev look better than a ford more people will build chevs and buy edlebrock.
Its basic marketing. They go for the bigger group.

e-tek 12-04-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by FossenRacing (Post 11099925)
The book costs me 100 dollars, they dont have a stock 390 stroke and they dont use stock truck heads. so i may as well buy a book on 460 intake comparisons and use that.
Ask here= FREE and usually its a stock 390
I just dont like edlebrock. They dont put the fine detail into stuff.
which is why it cheaper. I dont care where its made as long as you get results for your dollar.
and i havent seen it from edlebrock products on fords.
Edlebrock is directed towards chevies cause thats were they make there money. and if they make a chev look better than a ford more people will build chevs and buy edlebrock.
Its basic marketing. They go for the bigger group.

I find it hard to agree with just about everthing you wrote!!:-X19
You'll learn a lot more from books written by pro's than you ever will from "free" forums - the advise is free for a reason!
Edelbrock doesn't put fine detail in? Tell that to any racer around who's using their intakes, heads and easy-tuning carbs. The stuff fits and fits well - you don't hear of people having to massage Edlebrock parts to fit - like you do Dove!
You haven't seen it from Edle's on Fords because you aint looking or reading the right stuff. Barry Rabotnick says the RPM is the best intake out there for an FE.
Edlebrock is directed towards BUYERS. They design every product to make it the best possible product so that when they sell them, people are happy - and by and large - they are, THAT's why they are successful.
If they went only for the bigger group they sure wouldn't make stuff for the relatively TINY FE market - it's called NICHE marketing.

You really should pick up a book. I just read Barry's FE book and it answers every question you asked - plus has a lot more info you're missing out on!