Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   how to order a new truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1118616-how-to-order-a-new-truck.html)

nmhs 11-27-2011 08:11 PM

how to order a new truck

I might consider ordering a new truck in the future and I was wondering what's the process to order a new truck and what suggestions would you have?

Thanks

kmonty2 11-27-2011 08:31 PM

Go to the Ford dealership and tell them you want to order a new truck. He should ask you all the questions needed to get what you want on it. You can also go to the Ford web site and build one first, this way you can see all the different packages. XLT does not offer leather or nav. you must go to the Lariat or King Ranch. It will also give you the prices for each option you may want. If you get a Ford discount you don't have to worry about price as it is set by Ford but you do get all the rebates. If you order I doubt you can haggle much on the price but I'm not sure about that point as I got the X plan. If you have any questions about what you might want or need on your truck, ask it here and you will get a answer pretty quick. Look through the 6.2 threads and all the different topics, lots of info here.

powerstroke72 11-27-2011 08:54 PM

Like Kevin said, go to the Ford Build and Price site here Build and Price and build your truck. Then print it out and take the printout to the dealer with you. This way, you've already got the options you want selected and it's easy to reference back to your Build and Price printout.

Another good source is 100% Haggle-Free New Car Price Quotes from Local Dealers - TrueCar. You can get MSRP and actual dealer cost here. It is a good bargaining tool if you don't have X-Plan, A-Plan, Z-Plan, etc. Yet another good source for invoice pricing is Chrome Carbook. As with Truecar, you can get invoice and MSRP pricing to use as a bargaining tool.

The biggest thing is get what you want. Make sure you order everything you want and/or need on your new truck. That's what I did with my '05. When it came time for my '11, I lucked up and was able to find exactly what I was looking for on a lot.

Take into consideration any future needs you may have for your truck. Nothing's worse than finding out after the fact that you actually needed more or less truck than you actually ordered. Also, be prepared. All dealers are different. Some will require a deposit on an ordered truck and others will not. Find out before ordering.;)

It's a great way to get the exact truck you want. I only had two problems with my '05 when I ordered it. I placed the order at the beginning of September 2004. My dealer assured me it would be in by the end of October. By the end of November, it still wasn't there. Finally Ford bumped the delivery date to January 2005 with no explanation. The truck got there December 23rd. And if the wait wasn't bad enough, the dealer screwed up and ordered the split bench seat instead of the captains chairs I had specified. I was frustrated to the point that I took the truck because I didn't want to wait another three months to order and get another one but in exchange for the screwed up seat and the extended wait, my dealer set me up with a bunch of free stuff.

rkmfordman 11-28-2011 08:26 AM

build and price is a great way to start i must have built mine 50 times before i ordered it and go over everything with the salesman 2 or 3 times before placing the order so that nothing is left out.you can change things a little while after you place the order like i changed getting the fifth wheel sub frame after i had done ordered it just didnt want 5 holes in my bed when all i needed was one for a gooseneck ball.there are alot of things to consider and think about a few things i would reccomend are the splash guards and floormats they are really a bargain and are of good quality and also the roof clearance lights are dirt cheap option and look really cool.

2000silverbullet 11-28-2011 11:03 AM

Yup, what these guys all said. Some things you can add after the fact (upfitters, bedliner, accy's, etc) if you don't want to pay for it now, but things like the heated seats, leather, nav, etc are things you'll want to get upfront.

Also, get a copy of the 2012 SuperDuty order guide (post up if you can't find it, but they're out there) and after you place the order, tell the dealer you want a copy of the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement). This has all the data relative to your order and you can cross reference the codes with the order guide to confirm the dealer didn't screw it up (it's happened, and not something you'll want to discover when the truck arrives incorrect).

Changes can be made on the order I believe up until the VIN is assigned.

Oh, and if you order, it's a forum requirement (kidding of course) that you post up what you ordered as we're all interested.

Big_Daddy_O 11-29-2011 04:22 PM

One thing I can say is if you use your truck for anything other then on pavement ask about the tires. I know when I ordered mine the dealer never said anything about that it came with tiny 17" tires that are made for the hiway use only. Now with only 6000 miles on it I am getting new ones!:-arrgh

nmhs 12-04-2011 08:07 PM

Guys, thanks for all the info. Is the process affected by trading in a vehicle? What do you think the rebates will be after January 1

2000silverbullet 12-05-2011 05:23 AM

No idea about the rebates but there's no change in the process when trading in a vehicle. I traded a vehicle when my truck (which I ordered) showed up.

snelldawg 12-05-2011 02:33 PM

You can probably negotiate your trade in when ordering. As long as the estimated mileage is accurate when your new truck arrives, you will get that value.

I was in the same situation, and 2000silverbullet (Matt) encouranged me to try selling on my own, and I did, in two weeks. I was shocked and I got a lot more than the dealer was offering on trade. The used truck market is strong.

I owe Matt a few beers even though he's a Steelers fan, LOL.

2000silverbullet 12-05-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by snelldawg (Post 11116911)
I owe Matt a few beers even though he's a Steelers fan, LOL.

Yuengling FTW!!!!

:-drink

Pat's = :-X18 lmao...

SDF250MW 12-27-2011 02:33 PM

New 2012 F250

I'm new to this site as well as new to Ford. I've been driving a Che...another branded PU for many years, on Dec 19th I had a local dealer place an order for a new F250.

I am glad to say that my dealer didn't require a deposit and since they couldn't find a truck equipped like I wanted, they are going to honor their discounts and trade. The good side of things, ordering a new truck gives me time to sell my "other" HD truck outright. The sad news, it'll be another three to 5 weeks before I see it (at least that's what I'm told, I've heard even longer).

As per 2000silverbullet, here's what's on order

F250 Crew SRW with 6.2 Gas, Sterling Grey

In addition to all the standard ammenities of an F250, I opted for the following:

FX4 Offroad package
Electronic Locking rear axle
Lariat Interior Package
Chrome Package
Upfitter Switches
Universal Garage Door opener
Snowplow Prep package
Block Heater
Line-X spray in bed liner
OWL Tires (I'll most likely swap for after market wheels and tires)

Now it's just a matter of watching the seconds tick by until delivery.

2000silverbullet 12-27-2011 04:13 PM

Nice! Good combination of features/colors in my opinion. :-X22

rkmfordman 12-27-2011 04:39 PM

CAB LIGHTS!!! DONT FORGET THE CAB LIGHTS!!!:-X04:-X04

fg250 12-27-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by rkmfordman (Post 11203577)
CAB LIGHTS!!! DONT FORGET THE CAB LIGHTS!!!:-X04:-X04

my current truck doesn't have them, but I ordered them on my new one which I'll pick up the third or fourth! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!:-hijacked sorry;)

rkmfordman 12-27-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by fg250 (Post 11203859)
my current truck doesn't have them, but I ordered them on my new one which I'll pick up the third or fourth! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!:-hijacked sorry;)

Excellent choice!When is your truck due?I know the waitin is hard the japan sunami slowed mine down a coupla weeks longer than normal i thought i would die!