Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   locking gas cap (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1117828-locking-gas-cap.html)

michael cook 11-24-2011 07:21 AM

locking gas cap

I have a 2011 f150 with the no cap system !!! any way of putting a locking gas cap on got my tank siphoned last night *******s

gabino 11-24-2011 08:22 AM

http://assets.forddirect.fordvehicle...38_336x248.jpgClick Image to Enlarge
******** type=text/javascript> jQuery("#product-image").fancybox({ 'titlePosition' : 'inside', 'padding' : 30, 'overlayColor' : '#fff', 'overlayOpacity' : 0.2 });*********>Locking Fuel plug

Part No: 8U5Z-9C268-B
<!--<input type="radio" name="price_simple" id="price_simple" value="0" checked />--><LABEL class=label for=price_simple>SRP: $24.99 </LABEL>
Get local pricing

Turn tampering away - enhance your peace of mind with this precision-fit fuel plug.
  • Easy on and off at the twist of a key.
  • For Use with Capless Fuel Filler System.
<!--span class="less-more">Less...</span-->

View Compatible Vehicles

Chris Anchor 11-24-2011 10:45 AM

Buy the Ford part don't buy aftermarket-they don't work as well. Chris

stormsearch 11-24-2011 01:35 PM

You do have a capping system, it is automatic. All previous F150's didn't have "locking" capping systems either and would have been siphoned a little bit easier than what you have now. Be fortunate that they didn't puncture your tank instead.

Also - make sure it simply isn't a fautly gas gauge reading

michael cook 11-24-2011 02:01 PM

cap

When I parked my truck last night my dash showed 145 miles to empty then this morning 16 miles to empty

tseekins 11-24-2011 04:33 PM

A couple of years ago, criminals in the neighboring city were drilling holes in the fuel tanks of larger trucks and larger SUV's to obviously get the gas. The tank cannot be siphoned anyway so vandalism gains the perps access to your hard earned stuff.

So the point is, why spend $25 bucks to prevent something that cannot be stopped anyway? My neighbor got one from the Ford dealer for his 2010 Lariat. I just don't see the point but that's just me.

ebexp94 11-24-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 11075564)
A couple of years ago, criminals in the neighboring city were drilling holes in the fuel tanks of larger trucks and larger SUV's to obviously get the gas. The tank cannot be siphoned anyway so vandalism gains the perps access to your hard earned stuff.

So the point is, why spend $25 bucks to prevent something that cannot be stopped anyway? My neighbor got one from the Ford dealer for his 2010 Lariat. I just don't see the point but that's just me.

Peace of mind is certainly worth something. I lock my doors at night, even though glass windows can be broken.

As for the gas tank getting drilled, I would be calling my insurance company and letting them pay for a new tank. If my gas got siphoned, I'm sure my insurance company wouldn't be willing to pay out considering I could be lying and just want free gas.

At any rate, according to the salesman at my dealership, there is a valve in the filler neck that requires the pressure of gas getting poured in to open, thus it can not be siphoned. Not saying this is fact, but it would make sense.

Chris Anchor 11-24-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 11075564)

I have mine locked not for the removal of gas but for the dumping of something in my tank (sugar/filings/etc). My business and location could tend to make my truck a target. Chris

shortride 11-25-2011 05:43 AM

I think it would be great if ford would build our trucks with the lockable outer fuel door with the release inside the cab like some cars have.

tseekins 11-25-2011 05:21 PM

I love it just the way it is.

meborder 11-25-2011 05:31 PM

I can see a market for an externally lockable fuel door, something akin to the billet style caps i've seen. The fuel door cover just slides off anyway if you just give it a tug

Aquik72 11-28-2011 07:09 PM

Lockable fuel is the way to go, have had them on every truck I owned. Have one on order for the Platinum..:-X03

michael cook 11-30-2011 03:47 AM

cap

I ordered one from the dealer last friday came in today works great easy to use will see how it goes with thieves

shotgunz 11-30-2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by michael cook (Post 11074105)
my tank siphoned last night *******s

No it didn't.

But glad to know you like your new cap.

michael cook 11-30-2011 03:32 PM

tttttttt

explain further!!!!!!