Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   2012 Disappointment at the LA Auto Show (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1117637-2012-disappointment-at-the-la-auto-show.html)

cjgeorge32 11-23-2011 01:08 PM

2012 Disappointment at the LA Auto Show

I just returned home from the LA Auto show and I was extremely disappointed with how Ford displayed the 2012 Expedition and the lack of knowledge the Ford reps. had regarding the truck. All 2012 Ford cars and trucks had lights and beautiful displays. The Expedition was stuck in the corner with absolutely no fanfare and it looked very pathetic. I was also very disappointed that the 2012 looked exactly like my 2007. It is very obvious that Ford is not putting any effort into the 2012 Expy and I would not be surprised if we are looking at the last year of production.
I am on my fourth Expedition and I am in the market for a new full size SUV and it looks like I will have to take a closer look at the Suburban. Thanks Ford!!!!

berry1234 11-23-2011 03:27 PM

Yeah, I saw that too. I like the look of the Yukon and Tahoe much better. I am over Ford.

dlibson 11-25-2011 06:26 PM

It sucks not much is done, but I've heard the 2013 is the big redesign...

Never is it bad enough to consider driving a Chevy though!!!!

dlibson 11-25-2011 06:33 PM

Here's what I saw the other day:

Expedition: Ford could freshen or reskin the Expedition SUV for the 2012 or 2013 model year, giving it a redesigned grille and some of the same powertrains as the F-series pickups. Those could include a 3.5-liter V6 for improved fuel economy, and the 5.0-liter V8 currently in the 2011 Mustang, replacing the Expedition's current 5.4-liter V8.

Ford may discontinue the extended-length Expedition EL in the 2012 or 2013 model year because of poor sales.

Read more: Ford future products: New vehicles get lighter, faster and move upscale - Autoweek

TCAS007 11-26-2011 01:23 AM

Be happy they they don't redesign as often as the Asians do. It would make our Expeditions look way old :)

NumberDummy 11-26-2011 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by cjgeorge32 (Post 11071328)
I just returned home from the LA Auto Show and I was extremely disappointed with how Ford displayed the 2012 Expedition and the lack of knowledge the Ford reps. :-huh had regarding the truck.

That's the problemo, they are not Ford reps...at all...but hired employees that follow the autoshow circuit.

I've attended this show since 1951 and at one time, local dealer personnel (sales peeps, fleet managers, dealer principles) attended these shows, knew all the data, but...

Today, the "hired clucks" don't know diddly-squat...except what they are taught by the promotors that put on these shows.

The promotors are also responsible for how the vehicles are laid out.

Originally Posted by dlibson
...and the 5.0L currently in the 2011 Mustang.

The 5.0L is also available in 2011 F150's, as noted in my signature.

tseekins 11-26-2011 05:36 AM

Don't give up the ship yet boys, it'll only be another year or so and we'll see an all new Expy ruling the roads.

IMO, just having two very stout engine options is a milestone.

dlibson 11-26-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 11080232)

The 5.0L is also available in 2011 F150's, as noted in my signature.

I know, I was just quoting the story...

Knukle Head 11-26-2011 08:57 AM

in my opinion all of them are starting to look the same

85e150 11-26-2011 01:28 PM

Yea, I asked them where the Ranger was........}>

Tylus 11-26-2011 11:03 PM

in one respect, this is a good thing that they are downplaying the Expy. It would seem that perhaps a redesign is right around the corner and Ford wants to avoid spending advertising $$$ on the old style. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'd be satisfied if Ford would simply drop the EB, 5.0, and 6.2 into the line-up and drop the 5.4. It had a great ride, but it's time has come and gone.

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 11071719)
Yeah, I saw that too. I like the look of the Yukon and Tahoe much better. I am over Ford.

I'm not totally over Ford just yet despite all the crap I've had to deal with. Kinda hard to "X" them off the list when there are only 2 vehicles that will fit our needs. Expy EL or the Yukon XL/Suburban. Wife and I have been looking hard at the Suburban and discussing our options.

If the EL is dropped from the line-up, we walk away from Ford 100%. I want/need a big vehicle. The standard Expy just doesn't cut it...hence why I have an EL.

tseekins 11-27-2011 07:03 AM

I wish the EL had been an option in '04 when I bought mine. I've never seen many in the lots to begin with so I can't figure why Ford would say that they don't sell. If they built the damned things, they would move.

Anyway, now that my youngest is heading off to college next fall, the Expy is far more family car than we'll ever need again. We'll likely downsize to an Edge or a Taurus.

The Expy is really only still here because the Suburban is and vice versa.

Tylus 11-27-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 11083900)
The Expy is really only still here because the Suburban is and vice versa.

too true. Especially when you look at the Flex which is mostly the same size. The Flex also seems to be on the chopping block because of poor sales. My Dealerships out here don't want them on the lots. They run almost $40k nicely appointed.

maybe Ford will offer up a 3/4 ton Expy like the Suburban does? That would be nice IMO. It'd be on my wishlist

I was building Suburbans last night and looking at options. The 3/4 ton Sub gets a 9,800 tow option with the 6.0 motor (vice 5.3) and locking rear diff. Tow capacity is very low IMO when compared to a Tow Package Equipped 1/2 ton EL with 5.4 motor and 9,200 lbs capacity...but it's there if you want one

tseekins 11-27-2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tylus (Post 11084666)
too true. Especially when you look at the Flex which is mostly the same size. The Flex also seems to be on the chopping block because of poor sales. My Dealerships out here don't want them on the lots. They run almost $40k nicely appointed.

maybe Ford will offer up a 3/4 ton Expy like the Suburban does? That would be nice IMO. It'd be on my wishlist

I was building Suburbans last night and looking at options. The 3/4 ton Sub gets a 9,800 tow option with the 6.0 motor (vice 5.3) and locking rear diff. Tow capacity is very low IMO when compared to a Tow Package Equipped 1/2 ton EL with 5.4 motor and 9,200 lbs capacity...but it's there if you want one

I think you'll see the tow numbers on the Expy increase again if they migrate the 3.5L or 5.0L into the mix.

northernsnooker 11-28-2011 10:23 AM

I had a 2006 F150 SuperCrew from June of 2006 to Nov 2010. It was a great vehicle and I wish I still had it. Last year my family outgrew the F150. So I had to make a decision, Suburban or Expedition EL. I debated for several months and bought a 2011 Suburban in November 2010. I was having trouble deciding but went with the Suburban as Chevy had some good financing/incentives at the time and my local Chevy dealer gave me good money for my trade.

About 2 weeks ago I bit the bullet and traded the Suburban in for a new 2011 Expedition EL. I need a vehicle that can hold 6 people AND tow. The Suburban was nice and rode well, but towed absolutely terrible. The Sub has no low-end or mid-range power. The 5.3 in the Chevy seems OK, but I think the transmission and gearing are not at all setup for towing (and I had the HD tow package).

I couldn't be happier with my new EL. It tows my work trailer and my boat so much better than the Sub. It also gets similar gas mileage. And my Sub was 2WD and the EL is 4WD.

I only wish I had bought the EL to begin with. Probably could have afforded a nicer one. Trading a vehicle after one year is probably the worst idea financally, but I just didn't like driving the Suburban.

If you just need a people mover the Suburban is a great choice. If you need a people mover that can tow, get an Expedition.