Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   exploded view of front axle (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1117460-exploded-view-of-front-axle.html)

vasten 11-22-2011 05:57 PM

exploded view of front axle

I need to replace the pass side front axle shaft on my 96 F-250. This is the one where it destroyed the yoke on the wheel side. Does anyone have an exploded view of the axle? I am thinking I should be able to pull most of it apart in large sections. I am thinking pulling calliper, then dropping at ball joints and the knuckle should come out as a unit. I am not sure if I have to open up the hub assembly or not to release any retaining clips in there or if it is designed to slide in and out freely. If I took it out this way could I do this enough to seperate from the truck and have the shaft and hub assembly seperated and work at it on a bench? Would that be easier that piece by piece on the vehicle?

Also the inner side which I would have assumed, went to another univeral then to the diff, has a set of splines on it, and i am not seeing a carrier bearing where they are telling me it should snap into. Since it snapped the yoke at the wheel I am contemplating only replacing that portion and leaving the other sections alone. Thoughts?

SideWinder4.9l 11-22-2011 06:01 PM

Is it a Dana 44, 50, or 60?

danr1 11-22-2011 06:22 PM

It'll give you one here, you can not remove the knuckle without pulling the axle first.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...6z8V-vo7oRZXtw

Remove caliper, lockout, hub and then spindle then axle slides out through knuckle.

Passenger side axle separates at slip joint outboard of inner stub shaft at pig. Undo boot clamp so as axle will slide out of slip joint and out clear of knuckle.

andym 11-22-2011 06:47 PM

You don't need to remove the knuckle to replace the shaft.

The passenger side axle is two pieces. There is a slip joint in the middle covered by a rubber boot. You have to remove the clips holding one side of the boot in place. Then remove the rotor and spindle and the axle will slide out. The inner piece of the shaft stays in the differential (it's clipped) and you don't need to mess with it.

vasten 11-23-2011 09:13 AM

Thank you for the responses on this. It is a dana 50

I am thinking I am probably better off replacing the broken unit with the replacement unit vs just the portion that snapped wheel side. This way I can replace the U- joint on the on that is ready to go back in and have it all set slide in out and done/ vs replacing the u- joint in there. Any Idea roughly how long this takes? I am thinking prob 4-5 hrs? Depending how cooperative each piece is in comingoff.

andym 11-23-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by vasten (Post 11070387)
Thank you for the responses on this. It is a dana 50

I am thinking I am probably better off replacing the broken unit with the replacement unit vs just the portion that snapped wheel side. This way I can replace the U- joint on the on that is ready to go back in and have it all set slide in out and done/ vs replacing the u- joint in there. Any Idea roughly how long this takes? I am thinking prob 4-5 hrs? Depending how cooperative each piece is in comingoff.

The hardest thing to remove will be the spindle. There are a couple different ways to get it off. The easiest is with a slide hammer and a spindle puller attachment. If you can rent one, this is the easiest way. You can also use an air chisel or a 3-jaw puller get it off.

Replacing the u-joint is not that hard and won't take long. Most of the labor is going to be getting it apart and back together. You won't save yourself that much time by using a replacement part. It will cost you a bunch extra to buy the replacement part though.

Diesel_Brad 11-23-2011 12:26 PM

So is the u-joint broke or the outer axle stub?

If the outer axle stup is F-d up, just go get a used one from a Junk yard for about $25 and put a GOOD u-joint in for another $30

vasten 11-23-2011 01:00 PM

kind of the chicken or the egg... the outter axle stub yoke snapped, and the u joint. So not sure if the u joint seized up and snapped and took out the yoke or the other way around.

The only part I could find at a junk yard is the axle shaft that goes from the hub to the slip joint. I was planning on replacing the Universal in that then sliding it all back in as a unit. wish I could have found one for 25.00 when I was searching the only parts I could find was the entire shaft and cheapest one I found was 90.00 the others were over 200.00

jimbo285 11-23-2011 11:24 PM

I removed my spindle from my 96F250 with dana 50 by beating it sideways with a rubber mallet. Hit it each direction and it will loosen up. No tool rental required. No rust up here in Fairbanks though.

Diesel_Brad 11-24-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by vasten (Post 11071306)
kind of the chicken or the egg... the outter axle stub yoke snapped, and the u joint. So not sure if the u joint seized up and snapped and took out the yoke or the other way around.

The only part I could find at a junk yard is the axle shaft that goes from the hub to the slip joint. I was planning on replacing the Universal in that then sliding it all back in as a unit. wish I could have found one for 25.00 when I was searching the only parts I could find was the entire shaft and cheapest one I found was 90.00 the others were over 200.00

That is a Shame. I just scrapped 4 D50 axles

andym 11-28-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo285 (Post 11073573)
I removed my spindle from my 96F250 with dana 50 by beating it sideways with a rubber mallet. Hit it each direction and it will loosen up. No tool rental required. No rust up here in Fairbanks though.

No rust in CA either, and when I tried this all it did was piss the neighbors off something fierce.

rla2005 11-28-2011 02:52 PM

Found this manual at the Dana web site today: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5326.pdf

Better late than never.........

jimbo285 11-28-2011 03:11 PM

Rubber mallet. Less noise.

danr1 11-28-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 11089157)
Found this manual at the Dana web site today: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5326.pdf

Better late than never.........

Nice find!

toby tough 11-28-2011 06:33 PM

Make sure the u-joints on the axle line up the same with the one coming out of the diff. Bad things can happen if they don't.