Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   A Way To Test The 2 Batteries (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1114122-a-way-to-test-the-2-batteries.html)

kneisl99 11-09-2011 10:53 AM

A Way To Test The 2 Batteries

My batteries are not the same brand or even the same age. They are supposed to be similiar in capacity, condition etc or they might play havoc with each other.

So to test them I unhooked the negative terminal from one and started the engine. I noted the effort the starter was putting out. Then I reconnected the battery and disconnected the - terminal of the other one. I waited a few hours and started the engine using the second battery.

Both batteries seemed to make the starter put out the same sound so I concluded they are similiarly matched.

greywynd 11-09-2011 11:35 AM

The best way to test the batteries would be with a loadmeter, that will determine the actual output capacity of the batteries. Sure, they may both roll it over, and even start it, but if one is putting out 400 cranking amps, the other 700, it's not a good situation.

The lower the output voltage and current going to a starter, it in effects creates a higher resistance, and generates more heat in the starter itself. In turn this will lead to premature failure of the starter. It also puts a greater load on the rest of the components, the solenoids, the cables, clamps, etc.

There are lots of folks here that are trying to help you out, and we realize that folks aren't always flush for money, but there are some areas that it's just not a good idea to cut corners on. It becomes a 'pay it now, or pay it later' scenario.

tecgod13 11-09-2011 02:28 PM

Seriously dude, you're posting the same thing in multiple places. We are trying to help, but bandaid fixes and half-assed tests are just that.

Any good parts store should have a loadtester for batteries. If you can't physically lift them out of the truck to bring them in, have one of the associates at the store do it, thats what they are paid for. Many of the machines are mobile and so could be wheeled out to the truck.

My truck had two mismatched batteries when I bought it. I thought it started fine, until one January day when the temperature suddenly plummeted to below 20. I went to leave work, and it wouldn't start, batteries too low. I charged them up that night after getting towed home, and even swapped in a newer battery for the oldest looking one. A few days later it wouldn't start on the way to work, and this was after the block heater had been plugged in for a few hours.
That night it got a pair of new walmart batteries. Yes the Napa ones are better, and I had looked at that, but I damn well couldn't afford it. The walmart ones have lasted like 3 years, and I'm wondering how much longer, but they started my truck no problem in all sorts of weather.

So unless you want to get stranded somewhere, GET 2 NEW BATTERIES!!

1994F2507.3L 11-09-2011 04:04 PM

don't cut corners on batteries as everyone else has said. i had one shoot craps and replaced it. it worked most of the summer until one HOT september day i went out to start it and nothing.... flat nothing the one was a 1040 CA battery and the one i put in was a 1000 the 1040 both dead i had my brothers power stroke jumper cabled to it and the battery charger maxed out..... couldn't get enough juice to plug it and start it after about 45 min. so then i hooked brothers truck up to the ball and hit the plugs one last time and luckily had enough left heat the cylinders and pull start it. drove it down to the shop 20 miles. and load tested up. the 1040 only showed 200 amps and the 1000 ca only showed like 400 and that was after 45 min of charging off other truck and charger and 30 min of the alternator workin them over.

the 1 battery i got warrantied at walmart that i bought the 1000 ca one and then just got another from there so now i got 2 new ones and have had no problems starting since. i wanted to get the big john deere batteries but they were almost 200 a piece

hairyboxnoogle 11-09-2011 04:13 PM

Ya with mismatched batteries, you get some very weird stuff, they will magnetize eachother and even swap polarity.

kneisl99 11-10-2011 04:16 AM

Well I figured out what to do thanks in no small part to you guys.

I will disconnect one of the batteries. That way there is no "two battery problem". And just because both batteries are new doesnt mean there cant be problems.

The truck starts fine on one battery. When it gets colder I will hook up the other one before starting, then disconnect it. I will put the disconnected battery on the charger every two weeks or so.

I only drive the truck to work 7 miles away on Saturdays. Otherwise it just sits waiting for me to think of something for it to do (so far I got my snowblower back from my brotherinlaw) If it starts and i get to work there is a shuttle bus there they keep equiped to jump employees with dead batteries. If it doesnt start I will just take my motorcycle or car.

If worst comes to worst theres always NAPA and a new $130 battery.

Lukes66 11-10-2011 07:25 AM

I know where you are coming from. Sometimes we have to do what we have to do to get by, even if it isn't the ideal solution. They key is to do good at work and spend/save your money wisely. You can buy a couple of matching batteries on down the road a ways.

kneisl99 11-10-2011 07:36 AM

I will keep my eye open for sales.

But this really rasies a question in my mind. Why did Ford go with TWO small batteries, given the problems that can happen? Why not one big one? GM and Dodge do the same (2 batts) as I understand it so there must be a reason.

I wonder IS there a big battery out there that would fit the bill and would it make sense?

Lukes66 11-10-2011 07:59 AM

You can research group 8 D batteries. You could probably get by on just one of those but it still would not have the CCA of a 2 battery setup. Much longer reserve though, if I understand correctly.

bashby 11-10-2011 08:17 AM

I think you'd be better off with 2 mismatched batteries than just 1. It seems to me that running the starter off of one battery would shorten its life more than having both hooked up.

Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle (Post 11019055)
Ya with mismatched batteries, you get some very weird stuff, they will magnetize eachother and even swap polarity.

This statement just seems totally off the wall to me. I'm no battery expert or anything but how could the batteries switch polarity in this situation?

starmilt 11-11-2011 01:47 PM

A 4 d battery is more than enough, buttttt it is hard to fit under the hood.

kneisl99 11-11-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by starmilt (Post 11025903)
A 4 d battery is more than enough, buttttt it is hard to fit under the hood.

What is a 4 d battery?

starmilt 11-11-2011 02:35 PM

Half the size of an 8D battery.

starmilt 11-11-2011 02:38 PM

I don't know how that happened, but a 4 d battery is half the size of an 8 D battery (heavy equipment battery)

Aune163rd 11-11-2011 02:47 PM

haha, nice mistype start lol. I run two 800 CCA batteries, the 83 has two 500 and the 84 has two 1000 CCA batteries, I dont screw around when it comes to batteries. Sometimes it sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do haha.