Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   1997 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke diesel tranny swap (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1113493-1997-ford-f250-7-3-powerstroke-diesel-tranny-swap.html)

lonemadjoker 11-06-2011 08:14 PM

1997 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke diesel tranny swap

I have a 1997 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke deisel with an automatic transmission. I also have a 2001 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission. My question is can I swap out the tranny from the 2001 and put it into the 97 truck?

Brown Falcon 11-06-2011 08:18 PM

You can, but it will require some modification... It bolts up fine, but I know there's some other things you need to change for it to work.

Someone who knows more than I do will chime in.

lonemadjoker 11-06-2011 09:01 PM

thank you what kind of modification will it take alot?

427 fordman 11-07-2011 06:08 AM

Yes, takes a lot of body modifications to the floor and tunnel to make clearance. I don't know much more than that.

79OldBone 11-07-2011 07:42 AM

OR a small body lift would probably make things work better if you dont want to cut the floor up?

madpogue 11-07-2011 08:29 AM

A lot of folks have swapped from an automatic to a ZF5. A few have swapped from a ZF5 to a ZF6. If you search and read the threads on both these topics, and combine the tips, tricks and wisdom of the two, you should be able to cobble together a plan and get a sense of the challenge ahead of you.

wildstang 11-07-2011 11:23 AM

If you go to powerstrokenation 1994 to 2006 axle swap thread - Page 10 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum guy there just posted a little about it. Maybe ask him some questions also. I think you need a new computer module or get yours reflashed so it knows it is a standard and won't be looking for auto tranny inputs.

madpogue 11-07-2011 10:01 PM

You don't need a _new_ PCM. Just one from a '97 manual truck (van PCMs are different), and the same emissions (Federal vs. Calif) as your truck. This: PCM Codes - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ might help.

wildstang 11-08-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 11012157)
You don't need a _new_ PCM. Just one from a '97 manual truck (van PCMs are different), and the same emissions (Federal vs. Calif) as your truck. This: PCM Codes - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ might help.

I said basically the same thing but shouldn't have said new. Can't you get it reflashed though?

redman84 11-08-2011 06:24 AM

You can get it reflashed but not necessary to run just fine but yeah it will run slightly better. You have to customize drive shafts because there was never anything the same length as a zf 6 on an obs truck. Also the 6 has a cooler and lines to deal with. Seems like someone on the know said it is perfectly ok to delete the cooler since its a manual though

madpogue 11-08-2011 08:24 AM

If you run an automatic PCM in a manual truck, it will probably perpetually throw the CE light with a bunch of tranny codes.

If you have an aftermarket chip, you can also get that re-flashed, and as long as you don't remove it, it will "trump" the PCM.

DIYMechanic 11-08-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 11013228)
If you run an automatic PCM in a manual truck, it will probably perpetually throw the CE light with a bunch of tranny codes.

If you have an aftermarket chip, you can also get that re-flashed, and as long as you don't remove it, it will "trump" the PCM.

O contrar.... the auto pmc does not need any "inputs" from the auto tranny, in fact there are none in the E4OD. The only thing the auto PCM has that is different than the manual PCM is the smarts to shift the E4OD, which will no longer be there. So it will be trying to shift a non-existent transmission, but it won't even know it isn't there, because there are no additional sensors in the E4OD to feed back any info to the PCM. As I understand it the only difference in going from an auto PCM to a manual one is the way the fuel map looks. The fueling is slightly different, but should not affect driveability.

Obviously, you can't drop a manual PCM in an auto truck and expect it to work without re-flashing it to tell it to shift the E4OD, but going the other direction shouldn't really make any noticeable difference. I

f you're really worried about it have a chip with custom tunes burned and tell them what transmission you have.

Mark Kovalsky 11-08-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic (Post 11013433)
O contrar.... the auto pmc does not need any "inputs" from the auto tranny, in fact there are none in the E4OD.

One sensor that will cause a problem is the MLPS. Another missing sensor is the transmission fluid temperature sensor (TFT.) The auto PCM is looking for those sensors and will set codes if they are missing.

Another problem is that the auto PCM is looking for two shift solenoids, one lockup solenoid, an electronic pressure control solenoid, and a coast clutch solenoid. Each one of those will set a code if they are missing.