Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   S. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/)
-   -   Dodgers For Sale (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1112349-dodgers-for-sale.html)

SteveBricks 11-02-2011 09:41 AM

Dodgers For Sale

Finally, the McCourt days are numbered.

Frank McCourt finally agrees to sell Los Angeles Dodgers - ESPN Los Angeles

turbohunter 11-02-2011 11:07 AM

Maybe we can take up a collection.

bpounds 11-02-2011 02:53 PM

Now all we need is a buyer dumb enough.

turbohunter 11-02-2011 02:55 PM

I think they're standing in line.

bpounds 01-23-2012 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by turbohunter (Post 10991652)
I think they're standing in line.

Reviving this old thread. Seems Marc is correct.

Tomorrow is the deadline for bids. Quite a list of celebrities are lined up with proposals.

Who would you like to see buy the Dodgers?

SteveBricks 01-23-2012 09:08 PM

As long as it isn't Cuban, Larry King, Eli Broad or Time-Warner I'm pretty much good with it. I guess if I had to pick it would be the Garvey/Herschiser group. Just because.

NumberDummy 01-23-2012 09:18 PM

Dodgers for sale, bye bye Parking Lot Attendant and Screamin' Meanie (LA Times sports reporter T. J. Simers monikers for the unholy duo), but...

It's not total bye bye, cuz McCourt doesn't have to sell the parking lots. Even though in debt to the tune of 900 million buckaroo's, the Bums figure to sell for well over a billion buckaroo's, so...

McCourt can pay off his debts and keep the lots. Not pleasant!

Steve, did'ja know that just before Fox sold the Dodgers to McCourt, they received a higher bid from Eli Broad and Peter O'Malley? They had formed a partnership to buy the Dodgers.

Fox rejected the bid, because they had already loaned McCourt the money to buy the Dodgers. McCourt didn't spend one cent of his own money, it was all provided by Fox.

Bill, isn't tomorrow the first day bidding begins?

IMO, we don't need Peter O'Malley back at the helm. He's well known as a cheapskate, and it was he and Fred Clair that started the Dodgers on the road to ruin, not Fox or McCourt...they just made the road worse.

bpounds 01-23-2012 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by SteveBricks (Post 11328735)
As long as it isn't Cuban, Larry King, Eli Broad or Time-Warner I'm pretty much good with it. I guess if I had to pick it would be the Garvey/Herschiser group. Just because.

I am thinking Cuban would be the best owner. He has the means, and the Dodgers have been bled so badly that they need a major infusion of cash. I'm not a fan of him personally, but I think he can be a good owner.

Sentimentally the Garv would be cool, but I just don't think they have the financial depth to do what is needed. Plus, any kind of consortium has problems. Too many chefs spoil the soup.

What about Magic Johnsons group?

bpounds 01-23-2012 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 11328802)
McCourt can pay off his debts and keep the lots. Not pleasant!

I'm not so sure he can keep them for long. The reports are that if the Dodgers sell for $1B, that will only about cover his liabilities. He's still going to need to raise some cash.

SteveBricks 01-23-2012 09:38 PM

Magic would be a good face for ownership here, no doubt.

bpounds 01-23-2012 09:40 PM

I haven't found who is in Magic's group. I don't think he can do it alone.

SteveBricks 01-23-2012 09:52 PM

He's got these guys to write checks:

Guggenheim Partners | Global Financial Services Firm

bpounds 01-23-2012 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by SteveBricks (Post 11328986)
He's got these guys to write checks:

Guggenheim Partners | Global Financial Services Firm

Yeah, this article makes his bid sound pretty good.
Magic Johnson makes run for Dodgers with potential dream team - Los Angeles Times

The downside is, those guys are going to want a good ROI. They ain't in it for fun. Most owners are lucky to break even.

SteveBricks 01-23-2012 10:14 PM

Yeah, there's the rub.

turbohunter 01-24-2012 11:27 AM

My heart says Garvey /Hersheiser.
My brain (what little there is) says Cuban or Magic.