Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum267/)
-   -   F250 Unibody - Buying Advice (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1111560-f250-unibody-buying-advice.html)

Frabal 10-30-2011 10:15 AM

F250 Unibody - Buying Advice

Ok, first post, complete newbie to old trucks.

Came across a f250 unibody in what appears to be pretty good shape (needs a carb rebuild, needs new gasket in oil pan). Body wise thought is is clean, straight, surprisingly no major dents (or a really good patch job that I need to check more), and the bed is clean (one passenger side window is jammed and it needs the door glass runs) . Only thing "missing" is the rear bumper. Price is $1500 - and it's completely drivable to get her home which is important to me.

Now, a couple things worry me, hence the questions.

1) can I still get "parts" for these i.e. are most parts shared with the f100. It needs the door glass runs, passenger door lever/handle (inside) - (minor yes but literally one of the few things it needs). I see these things available at LMC (LMC Truck Parts - Page 16) so are all those parts largely shared between the various styles of those years?

2) Disc brake swap. Something I planned on doing pretty soon however a) is it necessary given that this is a weekend driver at most, and b) is there an easy way to do it. Seen one illustrated here, probably more work than I want to do. Thoughts on this?

So the question really becomes, are the factors above any reason "not" to get it and keep looking around for a f100 or (gasp a chevy) of slightly later year where parts might be easier to come by. Again, not a true restoration, not a show car or anything like that. Just an old truck to tinker with, drive a bit, etc.

Any and all advice appreciated and sorry for the long first post.

garbz2 10-30-2011 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Frabal (Post 10979310)
Ok, first post, complete newbie to old trucks.

Came across a f250 unibody in what appears to be pretty good shape (needs a carb rebuild, needs new gasket in oil pan). Body wise thought is is clean, straight, surprisingly no major dents (or a really good patch job that I need to check more), and the bed is clean (one passenger side window is jammed and it needs the door glass runs) . Only thing "missing" is the rear bumper. Price is $1500 - and it's completely drivable to get her home which is important to me.

Now, a couple things worry me, hence the questions.

1) can I still get "parts" for these i.e. are most parts shared with the f100. It needs the door glass runs, passenger door lever/handle (inside) - (minor yes but literally one of the few things it needs). I see these things available at LMC (LMC Truck Parts - Page 16) so are all those parts largely shared between the various styles of those years?

2) Disc brake swap. Something I planned on doing pretty soon however a) is it necessary given that this is a weekend driver at most, and b) is there an easy way to do it. Seen one illustrated here, probably more work than I want to do. Thoughts on this?

So the question really becomes, are the factors above any reason "not" to get it and keep looking around for a f100 or (gasp a chevy) of slightly later year where parts might be easier to come by. Again, not a true restoration, not a show car or anything like that. Just an old truck to tinker with, drive a bit, etc.

Any and all advice appreciated and sorry for the long first post.

For door glass runs you get what you pay for. DC has the best complete kit. Buy a full kit with the division bars and braces.

No kits exist for F250 eight lug disc brakes. you can convert to five lug pretty easy and use 16 inch 5 on 5 1/2 rims to keep the tires similar. There are a multitude of disc brake kits out there for cheap to really expensive.

Most parts interchange with a 2 wheel drive F250 F100 from 61 to 64 with he exception of doors quarter panels and tailgate.

Bumpers were optional for trucks it may never have had one.

Garbz

Bill W 10-30-2011 11:04 PM

8 lug Disc brakes? been there, done that... not easy and when done you will wish you swapped to 5X5.5 pattern

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...b/HPIM1846.jpg

And Welcome to FTE.

turbohunter 11-08-2011 05:54 PM

Welcome to FTE
Following up on Bill Ws and Garbz remarks, since it is a pain in the A to change over, and since you're looking at a 250 that has the larger/wider drums that work very well when adjusted and in proper working order, why not leave them. You could install a power master cylinder and it will stop on a dime.
Since it will be a weekend warrior you probably won't have to worry about getting he shoes wet in the rain. So disc brakes are less important. Although I admit more desirable.
Just a thought.
And yes, get it.
The stuff you mention you'd replace anyway because of natural wear and tear. The important thing is the bones are good.