Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   HD payload package confusion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1111247-hd-payload-package-confusion.html)

flixden 10-28-2011 09:20 PM

HD payload package confusion

Hi all!
Anybody here with the HD payload package? Can you confirm (or not) that it has a heavier frame?
On the build and price section on Ford's website, it lists a "heavy duty frame", however, the frame is not mentioned in the 2012 order guide. See below for both sources.
So what is it? Heavier frame: yes or no?
Besides that, looking at the max tow package, I am wondering what in there increases the GVWR by 500 lbs. The upgraded bumper? :-huh

From "build and price" package details:
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...0HDpayload.jpg

From the 2012 order guide:
HEAVY-DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE (627)
Usage: Increases GVWR to 8200 lbs. for improved payload and
towing
Availability:
• XL and XLT: Regular Cab 145" WB (8.0' box) and SuperCab
163" WB (8.0' box)
• XL, XLT, and Lariat: SuperCrew 157" WB
Not Available with:
• Off-Road Package (55A)
• XLT Custom Package (86C)
Requires:
• 5.0L V8 Engine (99F) or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost™ Engine (99T)
• Trailer Tow Package (535) or
• Max Trailer Tow Package (Max TT Pkg. required when ordered
with 3.5L EcoBoost™ Engine)
- Lariat: Max Trailer Tow Package (60C)
- XL: Max Trailer Tow Package (60M)
- XL/XLT: Max Trailer Tow Package (60P)
Includes:
• XL: High capacity 17" 7-lug steel wheels (64K)
• XLT/Lariat: High capacity 17" 7-lug Aluminum wheels (64W)
• Heavy-Duty shock absorbers
• Upgraded springs, radiator and auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• 9.75" gear set
• 3.73 limited-slip axle
• LT245/75R17E BSW All-Terrain Tire

flixden 10-28-2011 10:05 PM

I think I found the answer myself. Quote from the 2012 F150 Source Book: "(1) 8200-lb. GVWR is included with the optional Heavy-Duty Payload Package and requires either the 5.0L 4V V8 or 3.5L 4V V6 engine. In addition to the equipment listed above, this package also includes Super Engine Cooling, 9-channel oil-to-air auxiliary transmission oil cooler,
frame upgrade (.150 rail thickness).
"

Exactly why Ford does not include this (I think important) frame upgrade in the list of included feature for the HD payload package in the order guide is beyond me.

At the bottom of page 86:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...12_F150_SB.pdf

YoGeorge 10-28-2011 10:06 PM

The max tow package puts you on 7 lug wheels instead of 6 lugs. I don't think the 9.75" axle is used on the lesser GVW trucks but maybe it is. Also heavier springs and shocks, larger radiator and trans cooler, 3.73 axle ratio, and E load rated tires. If I read it right.

Looks like you found the info on the frame rail thickness.

George

flixden 10-28-2011 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by YoGeorge (Post 10974847)
The max tow package puts you on 7 lug wheels instead of 6 lugs. I don't think the 9.75" axle is used on the lesser GVW trucks but maybe it is. Also heavier springs and shocks, larger radiator and trans cooler, 3.73 axle ratio, and E load rated tires. If I read it right.

Looks like you found the info on the frame rail thickness.

George

George, the 7-lug wheels come with the HD payload package, not with the max tow package.

Grodyman 10-29-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by flixden (Post 10974842)
I think I found the answer myself. Quote from the 2012 F150 Source Book: "(1) 8200-lb. GVWR is included with the optional Heavy-Duty Payload Package and requires either the 5.0L 4V V8 or 3.5L 4V V6 engine. In addition to the equipment listed above, this package also includes Super Engine Cooling, 9-channel oil-to-air auxiliary transmission oil cooler,
frame upgrade (.150 rail thickness)."

Exactly why Ford does not include this (I think important) frame upgrade in the list of included feature for the HD payload package in the order guide is beyond me.

At the bottom of page 86:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...12_F150_SB.pdf

Ok, so .150" rail thickness, as opposed to what? What is the difference between the two frames?

Gman

flixden 10-29-2011 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Grodyman (Post 10975331)
Ok, so .150" rail thickness, as opposed to what? What is the difference between the two frames?

Gman

It looks like the 157" WB trucks already have that frame: HD payload or not. For the others, it's an upgrade from .100 or .110, depending on cab / bed configuration, so quite a bit. The raptor has the .110 frame. All that information is in the link I gave in post #2.
The 7-lug wheels have a 2,400 lbs capacity to support the 4,800 lbs rear axle rating, I guess, compared to the 6-lug wheels at 2,025 lbs each.

Now is there something substantial behind these numbers or are they just made up? Who knows ..... but I am sure it will feel more solid for heavy hauling and towing with all those upgrades.

YoGeorge 10-29-2011 09:58 AM

Hmmm...per Edmunds.com, they list a "Trailer Tow Package" that includes the following:
Class IV trailer hitch receiver; 7-pin wiring harness; Upgraded radiator; Auxiliary transmission oil cooler; SelectShift transmission

And a max tow package that includes:
Upgraded rear bumper; Class IV trailer hitch receiver; 7-pin trailer wiring harness; Upgraded radiator; Auxiliary transmission oil cooler; Trailer brake controller; SelectShift transmission; Black manual telescoping trailer tow power, heated exterior mirrors with turn signals and puddle lamps

This is on the XLT Supercab. Basic package is $375, max package is $940 sticker, and it looks like the max package includes the basic one.

Looks like the 7 lug wheels and thicker frame is a part of the HD payload package.

It is often hard to tell the players apart without a program; good luck with your purchase.

George

flixden 10-29-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by YoGeorge (Post 10975937)
Hmmm...per Edmunds.com, they list a "Trailer Tow Package" that includes the following:
Class IV trailer hitch receiver; 7-pin wiring harness; Upgraded radiator; Auxiliary transmission oil cooler; SelectShift transmission

And a max tow package that includes:
Upgraded rear bumper; Class IV trailer hitch receiver; 7-pin trailer wiring harness; Upgraded radiator; Auxiliary transmission oil cooler; Trailer brake controller; SelectShift transmission; Black manual telescoping trailer tow power, heated exterior mirrors with turn signals and puddle lamps

This is on the XLT Supercab. Basic package is $375, max package is $940 sticker, and it looks like the max package includes the basic one.

Looks like the 7 lug wheels and thicker frame is a part of the HD payload package.

It is often hard to tell the players apart without a program; good luck with your purchase.

George

George, I think you are still confusing the max tow package with the HD payload package. There is a tow package, a max tow package AND a HD payload package, all different things.
What you posted as being listed on Edmunds all looks correct, that's the max tow package (no suspension or wheel upgrades).

I agree, it is confusing, especially since the differences are nowhere clearly listed.

YoGeorge 10-29-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by flixden (Post 10975960)
George, I think you are still confusing the max tow package with the HD payload package. There is a tow package, a max tow package AND a HD payload package, all different things.
What you posted as being listed on Edmunds all looks correct, that's the max tow package (no suspension or wheel upgrades).

I agree, it is confusing, especially since the differences are nowhere clearly listed.

I think I've got it now....the max payload package is pretty much all the HD chassis, wheel, and axle stuff, whereas the tow packages are what Edmunds says they are--primarily accessories.

Again, good luck; sounds like you have decoded what you need to order the right truck. :)

George