Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   weather-stripping (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1110487-weather-stripping.html)

hobbs53 10-25-2011 09:25 PM

weather-stripping

I read an old thread about weather stripping from Pep Boys that apparently isn't available any more (I can't find it anyway.....)
I need to replace the door stripping on the '59 Styleside......really would prefer after market (don't want to replace the retaining strip on the bottom of the doors, since they're rusted away and will be cut off and metal welded back in)....
any experience...any idea's ...any thoughts.
thanks!!

rcjccobra 10-26-2011 04:49 PM

I buy most of my stuff from LMC and have had really good luck with them.

Walston 10-26-2011 07:03 PM

I got mine from Dennis Carpenter and it worked very well. If you are not gonna replace the strip on the bottom of the door, make sure that when you glue the strip on you don't block off the holes on the bottom of the door that allows the rain out when is get by the window felt.

hobbs53 10-26-2011 08:30 PM

Thanks.....got the front windshield/seals/mirrors, etc. from LMC. Really don't want OEM seals as I've heard they're a PITA and don't necessarily seal. I've got 1/2-5/8" gap and don't know the OEM would seal (and don't want to have to replace the strip at the bottom of the door to hold the seal in place...will call LCM tomorrow to find out more about their door seals...

59 shorty 10-27-2011 12:11 AM

Hobbs53 Years ago when I drove my 59 daily I got the generic type door seals from my local chain auto parts store.just took a peice of the old rubber with me to match as closely as I could to what they had. it was not factory perfict of coarse but worked very well for many years. I think it was Shucks( now O'rillys)

hobbs53 10-27-2011 05:38 AM

Thanks so much guys!! DEEPLY appreciate your thoughts. Walston, great point about not blocking the holes at the bottom of the doors for drainage!!...the whole bottom of the passenger door is rusted and needed to be replaced, so will have to remember to make sure they replaced the holes.
Would you guys put on the strips before remounting the doors or afterward. I've heard getting the door to line up again is a bear......plus the new seals won't allow the door to close all the way, so wondering how i'd get the door lined up if i can't close it...
thanks again!!

Walston 10-27-2011 05:46 AM

I installed mine with the doors on the truck.

hobbs53 10-27-2011 05:50 AM

Thanks Walston!!...your truck looks GREAT!!

ibuzzard 10-27-2011 07:21 AM

Hobbs,welcome to FTE.There have been a few complaints about doors not closing properly after installing new seals.I ,too,used Dennis Carpenter seals and could barely get the doors to slam shut.After some days,though, they began to settle down and within a few weeks were perfect.

Like Walston,I did mine on the truck with no problems.

hobbs53 10-27-2011 07:25 AM

ibuzzard......thanks for the greeting and info!!....haven't done a project this extensive before, so DEEPLY appreciate your input..
thanks again!!

hobbs53 10-27-2011 06:50 PM

pulled the trigger on the Dennis Carpenter seal.....one less thing to decide on.....

thanks guys!!