Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   exhaust leak (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1109340-exhaust-leak.html)

nookiemonster55 10-21-2011 04:23 PM

exhaust leak

Gotta exhaust leak noted at the y pipe collector where it attaches to the back of the turbo on the drivers side...Ordered crush gaskets from Clay, and got to thinking do these crush gaskets go on the top of the up pipes or at the bottom where they come off the exhaust manifold...tried looking for images etc.

Also what seals them at the bottom where they come off the manifold?

Would love to do the bellows but money doesn't allow right now:-X15

Also installing some nice plenum inserts while I have her torn down and a through cleaning of all top side components! And, is there anything to look for specifically on the exhaust manifold themselves to indicate a leak other than black soot streaks?

schlepprock250 10-21-2011 04:31 PM

While you have the spider and I/C tubes out of the way to do the plenums,I would go in and do the UVCH .50 mod....

miller_feed 10-21-2011 04:42 PM

Donuts go at the top of the up-pipes and the bottom is metal to metal seal.

nookiemonster55 10-21-2011 05:45 PM

Thanks, gonna tear into it this weekend, unless wifey drives it around this weekend...man she loves that EX! and she is only 5'1''

PaysonPSD 10-21-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by nookiemonster55 (Post 10947884)
man she loves that EX! and she is only 5'1''

The fact she is 5'1", not despite the fact, is why she loves that EX. It makes her feel good. She gets to be head and shoulders above a great majority of people when in the EX. Otherwise she doesn't get that experience unless she walks around on stilts. :) JMHO

ChunderDownUnder 10-21-2011 06:20 PM

I reckon chicks in big trucks look cool:-jammin

Nsaan 10-22-2011 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD (Post 10947937)
The fact she is 5'1", not despite the fact, is why she loves that EX. It makes her feel good. She gets to be head and shoulders above a great majority of people when in the EX. Otherwise she doesn't get that experience unless she walks around on stilts. :) JMHO

My sister drives a 03 7.3 Excursion Limited 4x4, that has larger tires on it. She is like 4'11" and loves hers... it is hilarious seeing her get in it, I didn't think the seat went that far forward.:D

nookiemonster55 10-22-2011 12:55 PM

LOL ok guys, back to the thread :) I have an extra pedestal and exhaust housing that I have already gutted the flapper valve...on gutting the pedestal I have read some just cut the rod short and plug that hole....I have taken out the entire spring /cylinder assembly and have not done anything else as of yet..

Question is can i just put the end cap/snap ring back on and plug other end and leave the internals out? I am going to leave the solenoid unplugged and put a resistor on the female end of the harness so no code is thrown