Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Starting Using Ether (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1108163-starting-using-ether.html)

kneisl99 10-17-2011 04:45 PM

Starting Using Ether

What is the starting proceedure for starting this diesel engine using ether? I know you are not supposed to but of course it is done.

I ask because my engine starts after 10-15 seconds of cranking from cold. Maybe 2 sessions of 10-15 seconds of cranking sometimes.

Anyways its possible due to its 191,000 miles and 22 years of age the pump and injectors are crudded up.

If they are and it starts right up using ether that would tend to confirm that theory.

So if you use ether to start your tell me how you do it! (please)

Thanks!

tecgod13 10-17-2011 05:00 PM

If you want to use ether, you need to disable the glow plugs for starters.

If the pump and injectors are original, you should replace them, they're due for it. Check the glow plugs, there are two sticky's at the top of this forum discussing the two different styles (6.9/early and 7.3/late)

IDIDieselJohn 10-17-2011 05:15 PM

Disabling glow plugs is a good idea, even though i've never bothered.

And I used Ether lots of times in my 7.3

Turn your key on, wait for the Wait To Start Light to go out, then once it's out, wait untill the clicking you should hear stops, then have someone crank the engine over, let it cranking at least 5 seconds, then give it a lil bitty shot of Ether at the end of the cold air intake tube. (DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY IN INTAKE) It "should" start right up as mine did. If it doesn't. Try a second time, if it still doesn't....find another ride and leave it be, or fix it right. Full tune up, and glow plugs!

damac 10-17-2011 05:29 PM

Just curious if you are doing this because your glowplugs are out and you don't want to replace them or if they are and its not starting?

When I first brought my truck home I had some issues like this where depending on how the truck was parked or how happy it was that day it would take more than one starter cycle. Lots of chugging and hinting that it wanted to catch though?

What I had found though is that even though I didn't have leaks on the ground after I replaced the return line kit, is that fuel was going back to the tank. Once I installed some clear hose in the engine bay I could see I was having to reprime the lines at every cold start when the truck had sat overnight.

Got a carrier electric fuel pump and I let it run for 10 seconds before starting and now the truck acts way different. I have the glowplugs on a manual switch and feel pretty confident I can start it up on the first try within 5 seconds of hitting the starter. I count to ten on the glowplug switch.

It was amazing how much that pump helped with the truck :)

ford 6.9 10-17-2011 06:18 PM

i use ether evertime i start my truck if it has sat overnight or for 5 or 6 hours. Just one lil squirt is all it takes i let it for a few seconds unless it really cold out some times it takes a lil more if it is below freezing.

eatont9999 10-17-2011 11:12 PM

My glow plugs and return lines are in good order. I hold the throttle down 1/3 - 1/2 the way and crank after the WTS light goes off. It always fires off within the first 5 seconds even if it has sat for the night or even a day. After she warms up, she fires off as soon as I turn the key.

You should investigate your injection, GP and return systems.

Aune163rd 10-17-2011 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by ford 6.9 (Post 10931677)
i use ether evertime i start my truck if it has sat overnight or for 5 or 6 hours. Just one lil squirt is all it takes i let it for a few seconds unless it really cold out some times it takes a lil more if it is below freezing.

OUCH! I would replace the glowplugs there guy, if you like I can sell you some Motorcraft GP's. They are cheap here in Billings...

kneisl99 10-18-2011 04:11 AM

Hmmm interesting. I believe the glow plugs are working properly. The return lines all appear to be good and tight. The engine has no stench of raw diesel and there are no drips with the engine running on the ground. I have had a Mercedes four cylinder diesel so i know a little. As to the manaul glow plug switch Ive seen the disgram. But where is the relay? I have one near the right battery that looks like it but the wires and terminal locations are different.

There is no cold air intake, just an aircleaner.

What exacly constitues a diesel tuneup? The aircleaner element is a little beat up but looks serviceable. I have not had the fuel filter off but plan to remove it soon, fill it with Diesel Kleen and start the engine and leave it sit a week.

Where would I put an electric fuel pump? Whats a good one to get?

That is using your head with the clear return fuel lines. Should be standard equipment!

Rollin.IH.Coal 10-18-2011 09:17 AM

i need glowplugs! and my return lines arnt leaking but the effing caps are! i have to popstart her now to save the starter! Im trying to get an elegtric fuel pump! send links pleaseeee

Country_boy_2007 10-18-2011 09:45 AM

the gp relay will be on the top of the intake behind and under the air cleaner. a good diesel service is done about every 100k. that would be new rebuilding the ip, new injectors and return lines and caps. as for the electric fuel pump do a serch on here, theres several people that run one

kneisl99 10-18-2011 03:35 PM

Hmm got a can of ether today. Just sprayed it a half second into the open end of the air cleaner. Instant start.

Could be the solution for this tried old truck with a tired old man for an owner!

When you test the GPS with a 12v light you remove the wire and put the point of the tester on the shinny pin like thing that was under the connection. Right?

The light wont light on the shinny pin but it will on the bottom of the GP.

Its the only GP I could get to without getting a months worth of physical therapy.

I think the ether should be called Glow Plugs In A Can.

SnuffthePunkz 10-18-2011 03:48 PM

**** i feel lucky with my ole girl, never had to touch ether, even at -30 C... 3 cycles of glow plugs, and she puttered right up. Tossed me around the cab good for like 30 seconds mind you.

redmondjp 10-18-2011 11:44 PM

You may have an air intrusion problem in your fuel system somewhere. In most cases, you won't see any leaking fuel either, as the leaks can be so small that they let air in but not fuel out (fuel molecules bigger than air molecules).

You can test for this by letting the truck sit for longer and longer periods of time between starts - if the amount of cranking time is directly proportional to the amount of time since it has last been started, it's almost always an air leak that is letting the fuel drain back into the tank.

As others have stated, it's time for your diesel tuneup! At a minimum, new injectors and a return line kit with all new o-rings and injector hats. Your injector nozzles wear out and you don't get as good of atomization of the fuel which makes it harder to ignite, especially with a cold engine.

A fresh injector pump comes next . . .

kneisl99 10-19-2011 04:21 AM

Hmmm that might be more than what I paid for the truck in parts alone Im thinking.

Plus I am too messed up to reach over the engine to replace those things.

I DID find a bad glow plug and hope to change that soon.

Originally Posted by redmondjp (Post 10937044)
You may have an air intrusion problem in your fuel system somewhere. In most cases, you won't see any leaking fuel either, as the leaks can be so small that they let air in but not fuel out (fuel molecules bigger than air molecules).

You can test for this by letting the truck sit for longer and longer periods of time between starts - if the amount of cranking time is directly proportional to the amount of time since it has last been started, it's almost always an air leak that is letting the fuel drain back into the tank.

As others have stated, it's time for your diesel tuneup! At a minimum, new injectors and a return line kit with all new o-rings and injector hats. Your injector nozzles wear out and you don't get as good of atomization of the fuel which makes it harder to ignite, especially with a cold engine.

A fresh injector pump comes next . . .