Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Chevy confirms global Colorado pickup for U.S. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1106410-chevy-confirms-global-colorado-pickup-for-u-s.html)

powerstroke72 10-10-2011 11:24 PM

Chevy confirms global Colorado pickup for U.S.

Just found this on Autoblog

Chevy confirms global Colorado pickup for U.S.

Obviously GM still sees a market for their compact pickup trucks in the U.S. I wonder if Ford was just waiting to let GM play their hand or if they're still going to give the rest of the world a new Ranger and leave the U.S. customers out.

ON EDIT: Here's the pickuptrucks.com article on it as well.

It's Official! The New Colorado Is Coming to the U.S. - PickupTrucks.com News

ToMang07 10-10-2011 11:30 PM

A diesel Ranger AND a diesel Focus would be incredible. :-jammin

The fact that there is a 60-70+mpg Ford Focus in Europe but not here drives me mad. :-arrgh

Also, more diesel demand would be good because if we had more diesel refineries the cost of diesel would be lower than gas, let alone more efficient. (<Less emissions.) :-whud

DFWBII 10-10-2011 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ToMang07 (Post 10907413)
A diesel Ranger AND a diesel Focus would be incredible. :-jammin

The fact that there is a 60-70+mpg Ford Focus in Europe but not here drives me mad. :-arrgh

Also, more diesel demand would be good because if we had more diesel refineries the cost of diesel would be lower than gas, let alone more efficient. (<LESS class=inlineimg title="Whad Up?" alt="" border="0" src="http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums/images/smilies2/cool0046.gif" :-whud

Ya got that right!!! thats our gument fer ya tho.

Bdox 10-10-2011 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by DFWBII (Post 10907423)
Ya got that right!!! thats our gument fer ya tho.

Please explain! What part of our govt is responsible for us not having a diesel Ranger?

:-huh

ToMang07 10-10-2011 11:46 PM

US Environmental Protection Agency

Bdox 10-10-2011 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by ToMang07 (Post 10907458)

OK, I looked that page over pretty well, and it provides no answer to my question.

powerstroke72 10-11-2011 12:04 AM

I think it's a mixed bag. The necessity to meet EPA regulations ends up requiring added expense to the vehicle in the form of the smog equipment, etc. In turn, the price of the vehicles increases and begins to edge into the territory of the larger trucks. I believe the Corporate thinking on this is that folks won't want to pay F-150 prices for a Ranger. I believe they're wrong and the trucks don't really have to cost that much either.

I believe the other thinking is that they really have no accurate way of gauging demand for the diesel in a small truck. And they're probably afraid of losing some F-150 sales to it if they were to offer it. Again, I think they're wrong. I think that if they offered the diesel in the Ranger, they'd begin to see some GM and Ram (read Fiat) defectors coming over and overall sales would increase.

There's still demand for the Ranger or it would have been discontinued before now. I still want to think that they were waiting for GM to show their hand before announcing anything, if they even do.

I know if they did offer the Ranger (the new Global Ranger) with the diesel, I'd probably look at one as a second vehicle.;)

ToMang07 10-11-2011 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bdox (Post 10907485)
OK, I looked that page over pretty well, and it provides no answer to my question.

Emissions. Ford can't afford to put emissions on the car that meet's the EPA's demands, meanwhile selling the car at a price where people will buy it.

It make no sense that a car that gets better mileage than a friggin prius won't pass "emissions standards."

IMO we should get rid of the EPA, or at least cut it WAY back and disarm them.

Bdox 10-11-2011 02:07 AM

Maybe the underlying problem is that they can't bear the idea of breaking the F150's top seller status. I have an F150 but I would love to have a smaller more manuverable truck in addition to the one that I have. It would be worth it if I could get it with 4x4 and 50-60 mpg! Most especially it it had massive torque, it would be a dream come true.

My F150 is a nice Lariat with all the goodies and it's a super crew cab. So it's great to take two couples out to dinner, it's a great grocery getter, but not much of a work truck with the small bed. I have a tool box that shrinks the bed even more but it is needed for security. The bed it too high for reasonably easy access. I'm 5'11" but I carry a small folding ladder to reach into the bed. A smaller truck would be great.

I don't know exactly what the EPA rules are that would drive up the cost so much.

Do you get lower emissions when you burn vegetable oils?

I don't know how old you are but I am old enough (and have lived many years in Southern California) to have seen the rise of air pollution and the growth of the EPA and the subsequent drop in air pollutions. They have done a lot of good as far as cleaning up the environment.

The Marine Corps used to change oil in those big old tanks and they would just pull the plug and dump 36 gallons of waste oil on the ground. They don't do that now because the EPA made a rule against the practice. So I would prefer that we don't shut down the EPA.

ToMang07 10-11-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bdox (Post 10907604)
Maybe the underlying problem is that they can't bear the idea of breaking the F150's top seller status. I have an F150 but I would love to have a smaller more manuverable truck in addition to the one that I have. It would be worth it if I could get it with 4x4 and 50-60 mpg! Most especially it it had massive torque, it would be a dream come true.

My F150 is a nice Lariat with all the goodies and it's a super crew cab. So it's great to take two couples out to dinner, it's a great grocery getter, but not much of a work truck with the small bed. I have a tool box that shrinks the bed even more but it is needed for security. The bed it too high for reasonably easy access. I'm 5'11" but I carry a small folding ladder to reach into the bed. A smaller truck would be great.

I don't know exactly what the EPA rules are that would drive up the cost so much.

Do you get lower emissions when you burn vegetable oils?

I don't know how old you are but I am old enough (and have lived many years in Southern California) to have seen the rise of air pollution and the growth of the EPA and the subsequent drop in air pollutions. They have done a lot of good as far as cleaning up the environment.

The Marine Corps used to change oil in those big old tanks and they would just pull the plug and dump 36 gallons of waste oil on the ground. They don't do that now because the EPA made a rule against the practice. So I would prefer that we don't shut down the EPA.

It's a political discussion, so I will leave it at I'm "Not a fan."

However, when it comes to EPA and diesels... new ones need filter fluid. Filter fluid for their exhausts. It's that ridiculous. Diesels are more expensive anyway because of the way they are built, but the EPA's standards are way overkill. Look at the "future" MPG requirements.... you think that's gonna be a good thing for us autos/automakers???

keyul 10-11-2011 06:51 PM

That colorado looks down right FUGLY

Fordfanatic4life 10-11-2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by keyul (Post 10909947)
That colorado looks down right FUGLY

it looks ALOT like a mini Tundra..

NO sale...

stingray152003 10-13-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life (Post 10910783)
it looks ALOT like a mini Tundra..

NO sale...

i thought it looked like a Malibu mated with a tundra and had the new colorado.

keyul 10-14-2011 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by stingray152003 (Post 10916364)
i thought it looked like a Malibu mated with a tundra and had the new colorado.

Malibu + tundra + hammerhead shark

Mack185 10-22-2011 09:32 PM

Rumor has it that they're going to build it right here in Missouri, Wentzville to be exact.

That would be great seeing how many folks lost their jobs when the Chrysler plant shut down.