Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Used V10 engine $950 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1105597-used-v10-engine-950-a.html)

wpnaes 10-07-2011 09:15 PM

Used V10 engine $950

How's this sound on price? 85K miles
2000 excursion V10

What to look for is this scenario? Take as much of the computer/wiring as possible?

Thx.

dkf 10-07-2011 09:43 PM

For one find out how long it was sitting out like in the pics with the oil fill cap off, therm housing, TB exposed for all the world to see and etc. Would be nice to hear it run but I'm sure that ain't happening. If you can get the wiring yeah snatch it up before Jimbob runs over it with the lawnmower.

topscrt 10-08-2011 08:39 AM

try to turn over the motor if you can . turning the crank pulley. look for any exhaust port or exhaust manifold with excessive oil or antifreeze marks on any cylinder

Fordfanatic4life 10-08-2011 03:09 PM

i'd be nervous of buying a used engine from a "rolled" over vehicle without hearing the engine run..

if the engine was still running while upside down, that cant have been healthy for the bottomout...

i'd pass unless you heard it run.

galaxie641 10-08-2011 03:14 PM

Problems I see: open TB, open thermo housing and open oil fill. Owner will say that all 3 were only uncovered for the pic and I'd say he is lying. It is only worth a core the way I see it.

You also want oil pressure numbers and compression on all cylinders. Any good scrap yard measures all those things and will give you the info, as well as covers up all the openings to the engine.

Daz00Excursion 10-09-2011 02:57 PM

any used engine is a gamble. i would go over it with a fine tooth comb. compression check..see if you pull a valve cover off and check it..better if you have one of those inspection video camera thingys so you can check the valves and insides of the engine. see if you turn it over easily.also would be better if they provided a warranty. if no warranty i would walk away. if its a private party i would walk away.

case in point. when i was looking for an LQ9 donor for my 00 Silverado. found one on craigslist from private party. everything seemed kosher till i got it home and opened up the bottom end. number 4 bearing was shot to poop and it had bad valves on passenger side head. the guy said it was pulled from a 47k mileage 06 escalade. it was more like 130k mile motor. luckily the guy worked with me and refunded me half of my money and gave me the 4L80E trans and and SS rearend. it really helps to have a buddy who is an IRS agent and threatening the guy to have my buddy "look" into his records lol...anywho morale of the story is..check..double check and triple check it over before you shell out the money.

Grand Pops always use to say" if its too good to be true..it usually is a lemon"

wpnaes 10-09-2011 03:08 PM

Thanks Guys for all the info/advice. Quite a difference in price, but this one likely can be run before purchase.
ford v10 motor

Daz00Excursion 10-09-2011 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by wpnaes (Post 10902274)
Thanks Guys for all the info/advice. Quite a difference in price, but this one likely can be run before purchase.
ford v10 motor

that is a good buy. considering a used reman engine cost $3300 bucks stock. Jasper Engines is a good place to get work done.