Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   How much shock travel? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1105568-how-much-shock-travel.html)

F350-6 10-07-2011 07:31 PM

How much shock travel?

The roads are getting worse in this drought and I need new shocks. How much travel up and down should I be looking for? My problem is I've got a 2wd with a leveling kit. While everyone else seems to be able to use the standard shocks, my truck sitting on level ground measures 14 1/2" from center of shock bolt to the top mounting plate. The standard Bilstein shock for 2wd measures 15" fully extended. I know I hit several dips and bumps in the road that cause my front end to raise up 1/2" or more above stock while driving.

Currently I've got some shocks I picked up from 4 wheel parts for a 2wd with a leveling kit, but they are pathetic. Bilstein offers a 5100 series shock for a 4" lift with dimensions of 12.17" - 18.98". Is roughly 2 1/4" of compression enough before a shock bottoms out, or do I need more? I'm thinking I might want a little more compression, but don't know how much I should be looking for. Any advice is appreciated.

Stewart_H 10-08-2011 12:34 AM

Hmmm, I have those same Bilsteins on my truck, with 2" kit too. Now you have me wondering.

Stewart

kawcrasher 10-08-2011 01:10 AM

The best thing to do is pull off a shock, flex it out and measure. Add at least an inch to the full droop number and subtract the whole thickness of the bump stop, plus an inch from the compressed number. It may be hard to a 2wd heavy truck in this position, though.

F350-6 10-08-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by kawcrasher (Post 10898296)
The best thing to do is pull off a shock, flex it out and measure. Add at least an inch to the full droop number and subtract the whole thickness of the bump stop, plus an inch from the compressed number. It may be hard to a 2wd heavy truck in this position, though.

I don't think I'll be trying that by myself. Maybe I'll just measure the distance to the bump stop and add an inch to figure the amount of compression from ride height. I can double check again after jacking up the wheel I guess.

Stewart, throw a tape measure on yours and let me know what your measurement comes up to. I did replace my springs shortly before doing the leveling kit so maybe that's why I have an issue and no one else seems to.

F350-6 10-08-2011 09:47 AM

Well 2 5/8" from the I beam to the bump stop so I guess those shocks won't work. Anyone have any other suggestions on shocks?

Vinny Mastrodomenico 10-08-2011 12:08 PM

Chris maybe you can use this adapter.
Amazon.com: Explorer Pro Comp 690001 Stem Mount to Eyelet Shock Adapter: Automotive
It will allow you to run eyelet shocks and work with the stem setup for 2wd. I would think with just the 2" spacer, you can use the adapter and use front shocks of your choice for a non lifted 4wd f350.

kawcrasher 10-08-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 10898547)
I don't think I'll be trying that by myself. Maybe I'll just measure the distance to the bump stop and add an inch to figure the amount of compression from ride height. I can double check again after jacking up the wheel I guess.

For droop just jack it up by the frame. Are 2wd SD's twin I-beam. I have never seen one up close, not many around here. If so you would to leave shock on and just take a guess on how much more down travel you need/want.

When you measure up travel pretend that bump stop isn't there. It will completely flatten out with a good hit.

Stewart_H 10-08-2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 10898547)
Stewart, throw a tape measure on yours and let me know what your measurement comes up to. I did replace my springs shortly before doing the leveling kit so maybe that's why I have an issue and no one else seems to.

Will do.

I'm at my brothers in Folsom right now, heading out for a day hike. Tomorrow is racing at Fred's Truck Drags at Sacramento Raceway. I'll be back home late Sunday so I'll try and get that measurment for you Monday.

Stewart

F350-6 10-08-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vinny Mastrodomenico (Post 10899090)
Chris maybe you can use this adapter.
Amazon.com: Explorer Pro Comp 690001 Stem Mount to Eyelet Shock Adapter: Automotive
It will allow you to run eyelet shocks and work with the stem setup for 2wd. I would think with just the 2" spacer, you can use the adapter and use front shocks of your choice for a non lifted 4wd f350.

Very interesting idea, but unfortunately it won't work. The stock shocks we pulled off my wifes 4 x 4 measure about 15" compressed. That would mean after losing another 1 1/2" or so for the bracket the 4wd shocks would be fully compressed all the time. Too bad, because we've got a great set of shocks sitting here not being used and the brackets are cheap enough.

Thanks for the thought.

Originally Posted by kawcrasher (Post 10899142)
For droop just jack it up by the frame. Are 2wd SD's twin I-beam. I have never seen one up close, not many around here. If so you would to leave shock on and just take a guess on how much more down travel you need/want.

When you measure up travel pretend that bump stop isn't there. It will completely flatten out with a good hit.

Yes, twin I beam. I'm not as worried about the droop as the compression. Seems the shortest shocks seem to be for a 4" lift which are just too long I'm afraid.

And the bump stops are pretty stout and thick. Based on what I've seen from the clear spots left on the I beams when I had worn out springs, I don't think they'll compress more than half way, but point taken.

I'm beginning to think I need to cut the bottom shock mount off and weld another one a little higher up.

Rancho Suspension 10-10-2011 04:07 PM

Got your note,
For your application* we have for the front
RS999264XL Comp. 15.625 Ext. 24.375 Travel 8.750

RS999261XL Comp. 19.25 Ext. 32.875 Travel 13.625

I would want you to PM to make sure the mounting points are correct as I went off a 4WD applications.

F350-6 10-10-2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension (Post 10905781)
Got your note,
For your application* we have for the front
RS999264XL Comp. 15.625 Ext. 24.375 Travel 8.750

RS999261XL Comp. 19.25 Ext. 32.875 Travel 13.625

I would want you to PM to make sure the mounting points are correct as I went off a 4WD applications.

2wd is different. It's got the screw shaft on top and standard eyelet on bottom. Problem is sitting on level ground measuring the shock it measures 14 1/2", so a compressed length of 15" or more won't work. I need something that is in the 12" to 17" range I think. Anyway to find a part from another application that would hold the heavy diesel motor in a one ton truck?

Thanks for the input.:-jammin

Rancho Suspension 10-10-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 10906108)
2wd is different. It's got the screw shaft on top and standard eyelet on bottom. Problem is sitting on level ground measuring the shock it measures 14 1/2", so a compressed length of 15" or more won't work. I need something that is in the 12" to 17" range I think. Anyway to find a part from another application that would hold the heavy diesel motor in a one ton truck?

Thanks for the input.:-jammin

I think I can, I think I can. ;)
I will start on this project in the AM with some numbers for you.

F350-6 10-10-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension (Post 10906119)
I think I can, I think I can. ;)
I will start on this project in the AM with some numbers for you.

Perfect. I get a lot of windshield time, so please give me the numbers for the premium model.

Rancho Suspension 10-11-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 10906131)
Perfect. I get a lot of windshield time, so please give me the numbers for the premium model.

PM incoming, a couple of more questions/clarifications.

Stewart_H 10-11-2011 05:26 PM

Chris, I called and left you a message, and as well, sent you a PM.

Lemme know if you need anything else.

Stewart