Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Head studs and upgrades... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1104807-head-studs-and-upgrades.html)

LOADED 06 PSD 10-04-2011 08:09 PM

Head studs and upgrades...

Hey guys, I'm looking at doing some upgrades starting with head studs, stock gaskets, erg delete and oil cooler with a new turbo wheel. I was quoted $3900.00 for parts and labor. My question is, does that sound like a decent price? After that I was looking at SCT with Erics tunes since I live fairly close to him and some exhaust after that. Not sure what to do there, I was thinking stacks or 4 inch exhaust with no cat or muffler to a 5 inch tip or the stacks with 6 inch Aussie or bull haulers.

Any recommendations on mods? I was thinking of the SCT with the gauges so I can see what's going on. My other direction I was thinking Is the Banks big hoss bundle. But want to save my trans as much as possible. The main thing is I want to gain power/performance/reliability andpossibly MPG if all possible. Is there a must do list to achieve my goals? Thanks in advance for everyones input!!!

Ian123 10-04-2011 08:18 PM

3900 sounds fair for that work. SCT is the way to go IMO and as for the exhaust that's up to you just make sure you have at least a 4" pipe if you are going use custom tunes. You will need gauges also. A scan gauge 2 or Edge insight is the best bang for your buck. They will measure pretty much everything other than EGT and fuel pressure, and if you go with the insight you can actually buy an adapter to measure those two as well.

LOADED 06 PSD 10-06-2011 09:25 AM

Thats good to know, i was not to sure what to expect but knew it would be up there.

Im still up in the air wether to go with stacks or side exit exhaust. Is there any pros and cons to go with having either?

also with the SCT doesnt that come with all gauges in the digital read out? what tuner would everyone recommend and should i go with a pillar mounted gauges or is the tuner with build in gauges just fine?

last question what are some good custome tunes from Eric would you guys recommend with the mods im doing? Am i missong a must do mods or any suggestions? thanks!!!

cartmanea 10-06-2011 09:51 AM

Why a new turbo wheel and how much is the cost on that? If you're wanting a performance boost, just go with a brand new PowerMax.

SixGunCaliforniaKid 10-06-2011 10:10 AM

I Honestly love stacks, however the only downsides to stacks is that you can get water down them if their not covered in heavy rain or snow.. not enough to hurt anything but enough to start rusting from the inside out.

When I do my single stack Im going to do a flapper on it, but that wont be until after I get my custom tool box in the back.

the only downside to a side turn out.. is you can put some coal in the window of a prius as you pass their slow POS on the highway... :-X04

oh and im sure the Anti-stack members will be along shortly to give you what-4. just remember its your rig, not theirs.:-X22

LOADED 06 PSD 10-06-2011 10:18 AM

Man...I have been away wao too long!!! What is a powermax??? The oly reason for the turbo wheel is, ive been talking to MD performance diesel for doing my mods. He was recommened by tom at erics shop here in MD. when i talked to MPD and asked for advise on what to do to my 6.0 he said APR studs with stock gaskets, EGR delete, oil cooler and turbo wheel. Im really not sure why he said the turbo wheel but he said while he was there it would be no additional labor just the $399.00 fo thee wheel and it would make the turbo spool faster. so all said and done without my tuner, custom tune, exhaust and extras for $3900.00 that parts and labor.

LOADED 06 PSD 10-06-2011 10:26 AM

I love the look and sound from stacks my concern is the soot and heat and loss of bed space. Would I have to worry about rain and or snow with bull haulers or aussie stacks? Thanks man

LOADED 06 PSD 10-06-2011 10:29 AM

Also I heard of loss to low end power, any truth to that? I was looking at 3.5 down pipe with cat delete to 4in to 6in stacks.

cartmanea 10-06-2011 10:38 AM

Personally, I think stacks are ridiculous on a pickup. Lost bed space, holes in the bed, loud, etc...

The PowerMax is an aftermarket turbo by Garrett that is great for stock injectors up to about 190s. It's actually the turbo Garrett recommended to Ford initially, but Ford went a little smaller for driveability. Same size exhaust wheel with a slightly larger intake wheel, brand new with no core charge, for about $1100. I don't know of any commercially available wheel upgrades, except the Batmowheel which is not yet released and I question the advantages of it over a PowerMax.

3.5" downpipe and 4" back and you'll be set, and personally, I'd keep the aftermarket MBRP muffler (or whatever brand you go with).

Ian123 10-06-2011 02:12 PM

Hm I thought the batmowheel was out already ???

Its not supposed to be better than a powermax, but its a cheaper upgrade for those who are on a budget. I think its a worthy upgrade considering its 1/3 the cost of a new turbo.

cartmanea 10-06-2011 02:19 PM

I'm skeptical of the Batmowheel modified turbos lasting well. The OEM turbo and the PowerMax have the rotating assembly balanced after assembly. Changing to the Batmowheel means that assembly is no longer balanced properly.

tex25025 10-06-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by LOADED 06 PSD (Post 10892080)
Also I heard of loss to low end power, any truth to that? I was looking at 3.5 down pipe with cat delete to 4in to 6in stacks.

Unless you are going to be increasing your airflow with something like a 64mm turbo, don't waste the money on anything over 4"s, unless looks is high up on your priority.

It's your money, but I also can't imagine that sharp upward angle being good for getting that exhaust out with stacks as well. As far as efficiency goes.

SixGunCaliforniaKid 10-06-2011 04:24 PM

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/at...-truck-box.jpg

Heres a tool box I designed, that I want to get that (IMHO) will look good with (or without) a single stack... but then again i like the singles.. just need to find a fabricator that can do it for me without me selling my left extremities.. :D

I tried to get the picture to work but, im on the government computer so I posted the link... hope no one minds I used to haunt the dodge forums... He He :D

SixGunCaliforniaKid 10-06-2011 04:29 PM

the two lower images are the two designs with either the smaller cabnet for hanging chains or the bigger cabnet I think the big cabnet would look ridicules unless the top was tapered into the cab.. over all in the top images the whole set up looks nice with or without the stack

EXbowtieguy 10-07-2011 02:15 PM

Hey Bill .... I'm subscribing and sent you a message .