Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   IAC valve ???????????? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1103444-iac-valve.html)

Dutter 09-29-2011 09:18 PM

IAC valve ????????????

I have it unpluged because it make my truck rev on the higher side, and whn i unplug it, it bring the rpms to about 600. And i was hopen thad save me on gas, but would it really ooor not

pawpaw 09-30-2011 07:47 AM

If the IAC is acting out, maybe try removing & cleaning it with a plastic safe spray & see if that helps, if not, replce it as Ford recommends we do when it acts out.

Unless you set around idling the engine all day, disconnecting the IAC won't save much gas & when you turn on some load, the engine is likely to run rough or stall, so the driveability aggravation of disconnecting it, is likely to be worse than the joy of disconnecting it for any meager fuel savings you might get.
Think about it this way, if Ford could have gotten measureably better mpg on the Ranger by omitting the IAC, it wouldn't have gone to the expence of installing one in the first place!!!!

Keep the vehicle in good tune with the tires aired up to spec, use the specified engine oil & Top Tier fuels to keep the fuel system & engine innards clean, modify All of your driving habits, like stay out of the throttle, get into top gear quickly, stay out of stop & go traffic & you'll be more likely to be pleasantly surprised by fuel savings!!!!!

michigan66 09-30-2011 03:14 PM

Hi dutter, I am amazed at all of the issues you have with your truck. How is it that you have so many problems with it? I hope you aren't just making these up for the sake of online conversations.

Dutter 09-30-2011 05:58 PM

yep iv tried cleaning it, and it wouldnt bug me as much untell i hav to slow down i feel the truck down shifting. And i actually tried kooking it thro a switch to see what difference it makes. And i keept the gas at one spot and turnd the IAV one and it make the truck go alittle faster as if i gave it more gas. And yeah i drive that dam truck like a old man untell i get to a down hill lol. And sadly yes i do have ALOT of problems with my truck like right now im blowing on fuse EVER 2 seconds NO JOKE. So i gota track down weres it shorting out because the fuel pump wont turn on with out it. EVENTHOUGH i just re wired the power ground and sending for the pump and put in a new fuel pump:-banghead:-banghead:-banghead:-banghead. And i was goin to go riden this weekend but i gota get it fixed to get to school. grreeaaattttt and yeah now i cant really harp on chevys now :-X16. And all of this happened in the past 3 days

Fordzilla80 09-30-2011 06:58 PM

Your truck is roughly 17 years old. That's quite the age these days. With all the electrical components used, even in 1994, the problems are bound to stack on. If your IAC is causing the idle to rise, then clean it, or replace it. If your idle is still high, check to see if the idle has been adjusted by someone else. I know on my 03, idle adjustments using the idle screw are highly frowned upon because any adjustments not set by the factory can hinder performance.

Hank85713 09-30-2011 08:41 PM

I have had mine disconnected for about 200000 miles. Yes I adjusted the set screw and it idles at around 700 rpm with/without ac on. We tried to trouble shoot and after all ,the codes found that there is a shorted wire someplace in the harness. Guy had all kinds of manuals which we kept referring through as the scanner codes kept changing and the manuals kept getting deeper and deeper into the system. All the IAC is supposed to do is up the RPM when the AC is one supposedly. I dont miss it at all.

Dutter 09-30-2011 11:11 PM

lol yep the truck is about the same age as me. So yeah its no surprised its had it problems. And all the chevy guys harp on it, but there in newer trucks and this truck has been thro hell and back. And yeah i think ill eather lower the adjuster with IAC on or raise it with it off. Because here in CA theres that stupid smog *****, even tho im in North CA were its nothing but good ol boy pot growers

greenpus 10-01-2011 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hank85713 (Post 10871056)
I have had mine disconnected for about 200000 miles. Yes I adjusted the set screw and it idles at around 700 rpm with/without ac on. We tried to trouble shoot and after all ,the codes found that there is a shorted wire someplace in the harness. Guy had all kinds of manuals which we kept referring through as the scanner codes kept changing and the manuals kept getting deeper and deeper into the system. All the IAC is supposed to do is up the RPM when the AC is one supposedly. I dont miss it at all.

what year truck? pretty common problem on the 98-2000 models. The TPS wires short out and cause the IAC to malfunction. Easy fix...

Hank85713 10-01-2011 10:04 AM

its a 94 4.0. Have no problems as stated so not gonna worry about a repair.