Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   100k miles on SVO - 7.3 Excursion!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1102034-100k-miles-on-svo-7-3-excursion.html)

SkySkiJason 09-24-2011 04:41 PM

100k miles on SVO - 7.3 Excursion!!

Ok, it won't officially be 100k until I'm on my way home next week, but I couldn't wait! I bought the Excursion in May of '08 and installed a 'modified' V3 'Vegistroke' system later that summer at 167k miles. I'm rolling up on 267k miles now and have yet to have any problems with the truck related to the high cholesterol diet. In fact, it dyno'ed 324HP at RRE a couple months ago and ran mid 10's in the 1/8th mile at least 14 times at the drag strip while the kids were screaming with joy in the back.

The X is all stock except for BTS trans and tunes and a van turbo. Its pulling a 13k lb Toy Hauler (home-away-from-home) around the country now and as my DD will see more miles/yr than ever. The Toy Hauler with a separate garage is going to give me a place out of sight and out of the weather to process WVO 'on the road' at camp. I have a gravity-fed CF I'll be setting up in there for filtering and a large gear pump to transfer clean oil from the garage into the truck.

My system is based on a V3 module I purchased from Frybrid. I had Frybrid build me a 40ish gal under-truck VO tank with a FB in-tank HE (heated pick-up) and I ran alum TIH from there to V3 module, then more TIH up to a 16plate FPHE on the firewall, before going to the 'test ports' on the heads. The lines from FPHE to heads are PTFE-lined SS braided hoses with JIC ends. I also have an aux coolant pump on the VO coolant loop. All of this heat gives me 180-200* VO before the heads while on the highway and I have run some nasty, HIGH-fats, partially hydrogenated oil at temps down to 0*F with no problem. There is no 'rubber hose' anywhere in this system!

Besides traveling cheaply, the best benefit I've had out of this experience is easily the dozens of 'greasy' friends I've made as I've traveled around the country. (my F350 has 140k miles on SVO as well) I'd like to thank all of them one more time for taking the time to meet with me and share your experiences (as well as a little VO :-X04) when I got thru your neck of the woods! :-drink

FWIW, we also made B100 for a couple years (started before I got the X) using a BioPro 190. I stopped using bio-d in the PSD's after I had some issues with B100 polymerizing in my F350's fuel tank and ultimately in the heads as the truck sat overnite. This started after I got 10k miles out of a single tank of B100... :-hair

So, I would not hesitate to recommend a V3 system (from BioFuels Technologies - previously DFA, the sponsor of this forum) for a 7.3 or 6.0 PSD to anyone considering using alternative fuels. Unlike the other 'kits' on the market and the other 'fuels' people are experimenting with lately - this is a proven performer and as such is MOL guaranteed to 'get your money back'. :-jammin

binuya 09-24-2011 05:24 PM

Congrats on that milestone. Proof that SVO is viable as a fuel, as long as it is done right. If it weren't for the fact that most of my driving is short range, (10-20 miles or less, at a time), I would go SVO. Making my own biodiesel is what works for me.

fabmandelux 09-24-2011 05:56 PM

Good on ya Jason! I have to many rigs, so I'm a bio user like Alvin, but it is very gratifying to see somebody with those miles that has done it RIGHT on SVO!

Congrats on your milestone, and if your ever near North Central Oregon (I-84) give me a shout and I'll fill up your tank with SVO!

zhilton 09-25-2011 09:01 AM

Congratulations:-X22...post like that almost makes you want to stick your tongue out at those that say a PSD will only run on D#2.

SkySkiJason 09-25-2011 11:28 AM

Thanks guys. I tell people this is the only hobby I've ever had that paid for itself! Lol.

Yeah, there were only a few PSD's running on VO when I started this journey - but I was lucky enough to correspond and meet with most of them before I did my first conversion.

The truth is, Jason Crawford - the father of Vegistroke - is the real reason so many of us have had the success we've enjoyed. It was him who had an epiphany while riding the lawnmower one day that began as the 'heart manifold' and evolved into the 'checkvalve design' that the latest version of his system/design, the V3, is based on. This guy's drive and ultimately the sacrifices he made for this 'niche' product are what legends are made of. :-jammin

muns53 10-05-2011 07:57 PM

x2 on the awesomeness of the V3 on a 7.3L! I've only got 60K on mine, but it's paid for itself and has enabled us to do some awesome cross-country trips in the Excursion that we never would have done otherwise. Met some great people along the way, too - like Jason. :-drink

SkySkiJason 10-05-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by muns53 (Post 10889990)
Met some great people along the way, too - like Jason. :-drink

Thanks Bud!! Right back at ya... :-X22 Looking forward to seeing (3) V3-powered Excursions in the same place again this weekend!!!! :-jammin