Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   2 or 4 wheel abs? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1101050-2-or-4-wheel-abs.html)

PEI 09-20-2011 05:42 PM

2 or 4 wheel abs?

Dont have my truck here right now to check, but does anyone know off hand if its 2 or 4 wheel ABS? need to pick up some rotors.

2001 F350 Super Duty Crew cab 2WD diesel

Thanks!

BigAlsPSD 09-20-2011 05:44 PM

It was optional, the only real way to tell is if it has the wiring going to the hubs, rotors should be the same regardless though.

PEI 09-20-2011 05:46 PM

Guess I will wait and double check.. The place I was going to order them from wants to know before they ship them.

Thanks,
Jason

BigAlsPSD 09-20-2011 05:51 PM

I know the rotors are different for 2WD vs 4WD but I didn't think there was a difference in whether or not you had RABS or 4WABS

PEI 09-20-2011 06:10 PM

Thats what I thought.. The connector is not on the rotor, but the caliper right?

Bobbys Big Red Rig 09-21-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD (Post 10831578)
It was optional, the only real way to tell is if it has the wiring going to the hubs, rotors should be the same regardless though.

That's good if you didn't buy the truck pre-owned and the previous owner had replaced hubs once before. Hope that came out right:-X04. I had the same question. Is there a way to know if you have 2 wheel or 4 wheel ABS? I am the third owner of my truck and second owner had replaced huds once, left a few parts out. He went with the ones with ABS connectors because they were cheaper and in stock, the cut the connectors off. He said he "thought" that was the same way it was when he got it. I went with the hubs without the connectors because I did not notice the way he did the old ones until I got them off.
Is 2 wheel ABS on the front or back?

Bobbys Big Red Rig 09-21-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by PEI (Post 10831586)

Guess I will wait and double check.. The place I was going to order them from wants to know before they ship them.

Thanks,
Jason

Sorry if I Hi Jacked, was just looking for a piggy back ride.:-X21

JOHN2001 09-21-2011 05:41 PM

If its 4wd with 4WABS you should have one line running to the caliber, one line running to the ESOF (if you have it) and one line running to the top of the hub

BigAlsPSD 09-21-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbys Big Red Rig (Post 10835305)
That's good if you didn't buy the truck pre-owned and the previous owner had replaced hubs once before. Hope that came out right:-X04. I had the same question. Is there a way to know if you have 2 wheel or 4 wheel ABS? I am the third owner of my truck and second owner had replaced huds once, left a few parts out. He went with the ones with ABS connectors because they were cheaper and in stock, the cut the connectors off. He said he "thought" that was the same way it was when he got it. I went with the hubs without the connectors because I did not notice the way he did the old ones until I got them off.
Is 2 wheel ABS on the front or back?

I have only 2WABS, rears only, I too have the hubs with the sensor installed wiring cut off, so that I can grease them yearly, the connectors for the front ABS are at the rear of the inner fender, and are not connected to anything on mine, I guess if someone installed ABS hubs and ran the wiring it could appear to have front ABS, then you would need to look at the ABS module under the battery on DS.

bigtexan99 09-21-2011 09:24 PM

As I discovered today, there IS a difference between rotors for a early 99 with ABS on the front and without ABS on the front.

The early 99 with NO ABS on the front has a smaller diameter spindle. An early 99 WITH ABS has a larger spindle.

The rotors for one will not fit another.

This is disappointing to learn after you have jacked the truck, removed the brakes, and removed the rotor.

I can't speak for other year models though....

If you have ABS on the front, you will have two lines going to the caliper. One for brake fluid and one for the ABS. If you do not have ABS, you will have only the brake fluid line going to the caliper.

dfoxengr 04-11-2015 10:04 PM

Can I assume this statement is referring to 2wd rotors/spindles? 4wd rotors should be the same, 99 and up right?

Originally Posted by bigtexan99 (Post 10836631)
As I discovered today, there IS a difference between rotors for a early 99 with ABS on the front and without ABS on the front.

The early 99 with NO ABS on the front has a smaller diameter spindle. An early 99 WITH ABS has a larger spindle.

The rotors for one will not fit another.

This is disappointing to learn after you have jacked the truck, removed the brakes, and removed the rotor.

I can't speak for other year models though....

If you have ABS on the front, you will have two lines going to the caliper. One for brake fluid and one for the ABS. If you do not have ABS, you will have only the brake fluid line going to the caliper.

whitetmw 04-11-2015 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by dfoxengr (Post 15262141)
Can I assume this statement is referring to 2wd rotors/spindles? 4wd rotors should be the same, 99 and up right?

Actually, it's build date. I "believe" it is 6/99 forward but may be 5/99.

However, the Hubs remain unchanged other than the ABS Sensor. Which, can be used on ABS / Non-ABS Systems. There is only wiring, which signals the ABS Module and it (ABS Module) limits the pressure pulsation.

jhl3 04-12-2015 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by dfoxengr (Post 15262141)

Check out this link to a post and see if this helps:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-factory.html