Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   7.3 idi hard start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1100990-7-3-idi-hard-start.html)

Blu3 09-20-2011 01:44 PM

7.3 idi hard start

Hello everyone first I would like to say im kinda new to trucks and really new to diesel. I just bought my truck 4 months ago and have not done anything with it really because i bought it for my winter vehicle.so anyways I have a hard time starting for the first time in the day.I have been doing a little research and I have had the injector lines and all that stuff replaced because one was leaking and I bought some Ford glowplugs and put those in myself and its still hard to start the first time of the day, what would be next to replace? Also the previous owner put 1 autolite glowplug in and my motor ate the tip of it. The truck is a 90 f-250

Ffemt10 09-20-2011 01:52 PM

is the said autolite tip still in the motor? (whole can of worms there) are you sure your plug controller is working correctly? The plugs on these are designed to stay on awhile after the light goes off...etc which relies on taht controller.....if none of that helps try a block heater....When you said HARD to start do you mean no smoke and seems out of fuel or has fuel and is not firiing? clarifyin this will help us help you. no fuel may mean a leak in a line or pump issues...fuel and no firing is glow plugs....

btw welcome to the forums!

Blu3 09-20-2011 04:34 PM

I have no clue if its still in there how would I find out? I figured the motor chewed it up and spit it out. There's smoke when I'm turning it over so that must mean its the controller since I just replaced the plugs? What brand should I buy? Does it make a difference like the brand of glowplugs does.

Ffemt10 09-20-2011 04:41 PM

I,am not sure if it has it broken already and hasn't killed the motor u might be ok. I don't believe the make has an affect on it. Motorcraft, napa I think....

Blu3 09-20-2011 06:13 PM

Ok so I will replace the controller here soon. I forgot the wait to start light only stays on about 5 seconds even after I replaced all 8 plugs. No the motor runs fine and I figure that plug has been like that since I bought it. The only thing I need to fix besides the controller is the tach sensor thing because my tach doesn't work and I think its affecting the tranny but I'm not sure

Ffemt10 09-20-2011 08:46 PM

I would make sure your connections are good before you replace it. do a search on how to test/check the controller. My wait to start is on for 10-15 secs for cool starts, longer for cold starts etc...I do not have an automatic, so I am not the best resource for that however from what I hear the e40d relies on the tach and will shift terribly etc when the tach is messed up. As i said do a search on both you will see great information on it, maybe someone else will chime in and give you some more information here..

either way hope i helped!!!

Blu3 09-23-2011 03:39 PM

Ok so i bought a gpr and i would like to say I'm probably dumb for this but while I was wrenching down the positive side I smacked my bottle jack thats under the hood and it sparked. Did I burn out the relay? Because after that it wouldn't even click when I turned the key to start. The relay is on the passenger fender right?

FORDF250HDXLT 09-23-2011 05:57 PM

the relay on the fender is a starter solenoid.
the glow plug solenoid/relay is located behind the air filter.
test for ground at your glow plug relay before replacing.

Blu3 09-23-2011 07:36 PM

So napa sold me a starter solenoid when I asked for a gpr? How much do they usually run for? Do glowplugs need to be broken in to work there best?

FORDF250HDXLT 09-23-2011 07:52 PM

you should read the two top threads in their entirety.this will help you grasp the bulk of the info you need.

Blu3 09-26-2011 07:38 AM

Ok so my truck starts fine now I got the gpr on and it was a bitch way back in the back, I'm used to working on my lowered civic. My wts light still only stays on for 5 seconds should it get longer as it gets colder?

Ffemt10 09-26-2011 08:19 AM

Im glad to hear it starts right away now...they plugs are new and so is the controller so it might not take that long for now...when it gets colder it may take a few seconds longer...i do believe your plugs stay on for a min after that light goes out anyway....

Blu3 09-26-2011 01:29 PM

Ok cool thanks.one more question not worth starting a new thread, my dash light fuse was burnt when I got it and I put in a new one and it burned out when I turned on the headlights is this a common problem? Should I bump it from a 5amp to 10 or 15amp

Ffemt10 09-26-2011 01:51 PM

I am not sure how that is wired. Idk that they should be wired the same. I would shoot a guess as you have a short with the headlight wiring...someone else might know the answer on this???

snaponprofile 09-26-2011 01:52 PM

Put a fuse in for what ever was there before.