Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Possible engine problems 2001 5.4L (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1100789-possible-engine-problems-2001-5-4l.html)

Coppah37 09-19-2011 06:00 PM

Possible engine problems 2001 5.4L

Hey i just bought a 2001 ford f150 7700 series truck a month ago or so. It has a 5.4L motor in it that seems to run pretty good. The truck only has 55K miles on it. I noticed when i bought it it had a slight knock in the motor but wanting the truck i figured it was probably nothing to worry about. Oil was clean and smelled good even though it was new. Now im hearing this knock pretty much only at idle. I can hear it more down in the wheel well more than up top under the hood. Weird thing is it goes away immediately when i touch the gas (1000 rpm or so). No check engine light, oil pressure is slightly above half on the stock gauge, and no seemingly problems with how it runs. Just kinda driving me crazy. If any one has had this similar problem please let me know what you think. thank you

96f150 09-19-2011 08:18 PM

a LOT of the 5.4 2 valve motors have that particular "noise". some people have had better luck with using an OEM motorcraft oil filter with the anti drainback valve in it. th knock supposedly also comes from the psiton skirt design being short si what i have heard. My 01 does it, the 4 2002 trucks at work do it, and they have pretty close to 200k on them.
Rich

phil6608 09-20-2011 01:15 AM

Check your exhaust manifolds.
If it's not one of the above mentioned,
it could be a manifold leak.

Coppah37 09-20-2011 03:41 PM

Theres no exhaust leaks i checked that first thing when i looked at the truck. Just never really heard of the knocking in other fords before. Suppose i shall just listen to it closely every now and again to be sure its not getting worse.

Torky2 09-22-2011 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Coppah37 (Post 10827530)
........ I can hear it more down in the wheel well more than up top under the hood. Weird thing is it goes away immediately when i touch the gas (1000 rpm or so). No check engine light, oil pressure is slightly above half on the stock gauge, and no seemingly problems with how it runs...........

I just wanted to point out, that unless Ford made a change on Oil Pressure "Gauges" by model year 2001, it's not really a gauge.

It is what I called years ago, an "Idiot Gauge". Which is like an Idiot Light, but instead of using a light bulb, a meter is used instead. No real analog oil pressure sender, instead just an OFF/ON pressure switch wired in series with a meter made to read roughly half-scale when the switch is closed. The oil pressure switch closes when oil pressure is above 7 - 8 PSI or so. And that moves the meter to its display point. Which makes the driver feel good that oil pressure is OK, and relieves Ford of having to bother with customer complaints about oil pressure readings.

So in short, if you have an Idiot Gauge, you will need to use a real mechanical oil pressure gauge to really see what pressure at what RPM.