Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   clunking noise when turn and hit a bump (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1100312-clunking-noise-when-turn-and-hit-a-bump.html)

built tough 09-17-2011 10:58 PM

clunking noise when turn and hit a bump

hey guys so i put a lift into my truck 4inch bds and 325/65/18 bfg a/t and theres a clunking noise coming from around under my feet now it does it when i turn either direction. I have noticed my tires are rubbing on my radius arms but not that bad so i dont think it could possibly be making that loud of a clunk. what else could it be steering stabalizer? it only does it every now and again so its hard to diagnose any help would be appreciated thanks

matty169 09-18-2011 01:13 AM

try this.......

Disconnect your sway bar end links and drive. Your noise will almost certainly go away. Now, is it the end links or the sway bar bushings or both?

2006powerstroke90 09-18-2011 08:28 PM

Just a thought...u joints in the front axle?

Rossner 09-18-2011 10:17 PM

its the sway bar links, i had the same problem after putting a 4in lift on my truck.

beef producer 09-20-2011 12:45 PM

clunking on 2000 f250 7.3

After dropping the swaybar the noise was still there. We have finally traced the clucking on my 2000 f-250 to the rubber cab to frame mounts. There is one right under your left foot and a total of six in all. Two up front, one on either side where your feet are, and two on the back of the cab.
When the mechanic pulled them off the rubber had been pushed down and bulged out until the two metal pieces were bumping together. That was obvious because the metal has been peened over on the edges and was shiny.
Problem solved right? Not quite !!!! Ford says the number off my mount is actually for a f-550. :-yeahrighNOT SO! I have two friends with similar trucks and the mount is the same on all 3. No big deal I'm not going to argue just send me a pair of f-550 mounts - right? Not so easy - Ford doesn't stock those mounts. They have to order them from the manufacturer. Now they say they say they can't get them.
As many entries as I see on this forum about clunking there must be some solution out there. I have seen aftermarket urethane mounts - is that the solution?

Bkiggins 09-21-2011 12:39 PM

Hey Beef Producer, Just seen your post and I had the same on my 07 PS and so I ordered the swaybar bushing kit and was getting to put the jack stands under the truck and I look up and there was a #2b stone stuck in the (Not sure what it is called but) the beam that bolts to the front axle to the frame about mid way under the front doors. Sorry for the poor discription but best I can do.

beef producer 09-21-2011 01:20 PM

That is the area. It is surprising how much the cab of the truck moves up and down on the frame. These mounting blocks are definitely shot. They are supposed to be cylindrical but these are more like short fat exagerated barrels. The rubber does very little good. Mostly it is metal to metal and that is after 137K miles. I wonder about the guys with 300K miles.
I can't believe Ford doesn't stock them and can not get them from the manufacturer.

built tough 09-22-2011 12:59 PM

thanks guys just now getting around to it been very busy ill try to tighten up the sway bar bolts hard to see if the clunk is still there or not its ver speratic but its hunting season so im sure ill find it if its still there thanks