Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   2001 F150 Cruise Control not working (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1100228-2001-f150-cruise-control-not-working.html)

gdubia 09-17-2011 04:36 PM

2001 F150 Cruise Control not working

I am new here, but after doing some reading here, I am sure someone here can help me.
Last time I was at the dealer, the SM told me it would be about $300 to fix my cruise control. I don't remember what he told me the problem was, but I didn't have the work done at the time and figured I would do a little research on my own (so here I am).
I read several posts here about the cruise control on my model truck, but none quite exactly fit my symptoms, so here it goes: (The recall harness IS installed)
When I press my cruise switch at highway speed, nothing happens (except when it is raining outside - then the cruise light will come on very briefly and immediately goes back off). The first time I did the self diagnostic test there were no codes. Cruise light comes on once after each button - with no sequence of flashes following - so the static test passed, but I am not sure about the throttle lever moving since I am inside the truck pushing the buttons (I didn't think to look at the gas pedal - should this move too?).

Fast forward a couple of days....and ran the self diagnostic test again. Now I am getting 3 flashes after hitting the last button. So I popped the hood and looked at the switch. I had a little brake fluid around the pressure switch on the front of the master cylinder so I lifted the fuse and there also is a little fluid on the inside as well. I took a pic but I don't see any way to attach it here. I have not yet checked the fuse in the recall harness yet, but if it passed the static test initially, it should be good, right?

From what I have read, everything says to tryto replace the pressure switch first. I am told the switch from NAPA doesn't have the in-line fuse that the recall added. Does anyone know if the replacement switch from NAPA eliminates the possibility of a fire that the recall did? Or should I just go to the Ford dealer to get the part (and pay twice as much)

I know this is kind of a long post, but I have been tinkering with this for a few days now and I figured the more details I provide might help someone pinpoint the problem. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advacne.

projectSHO89 09-17-2011 07:28 PM

Didn't we just go through all this this morning elsewhere?

gdubia 09-19-2011 07:23 AM

Yes, but I figure the more people that see the problem, the better chance I have of getting a specific enough response that I can do this on my own.

1Aauto 09-19-2011 03:13 PM

The air bag light isn't on is it.

gdubia 09-19-2011 03:32 PM

no, no airbag light on

echo657 09-21-2011 01:02 PM

Sounds like mine...Recall crap was installed but went out again. Brake fluid leaking all over it, no cruise. I bought another one, installed it and cruise worked just fine

projectSHO89 09-21-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by gdubia (Post 10825461)
Yes, but I figure the more people that see the problem, the better chance I have of getting a specific enough response that I can do this on my own.

Numbers don't matter. What is important is *WHO* sees your question and answers. You want someone who knows what they're talking about, not just some average Joe who is well-meaning but clueless on how stuff works.

Go do what was recommended to diagnose the problem.