Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Complete Fuel System Failure (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1096721-complete-fuel-system-failure.html)

gwcon 09-04-2011 07:45 AM

Complete Fuel System Failure

My 08 F350 has suffered a complete fuel system failure. I went into the dealer about two weeks ago with an acceleration and power issue that would occur at different times. I would step on the accelerator and have no power but the RPM's would jump up. Result of that visit was truck in the shop for two days for a replaced low pressure fuel pump. Got the truck back and still had the problem. Went back in and of course the truck would not duplicate the problem with the tech riding in the truck plugged into the PCM. Finally got the tech to experience the problem on my next visit but the truck would still not throw any codes even while the problem was occurring. Dealer said that nothing could be done until a code was thrown up but they would talk to FORD and try to resolve the problem. Bring the truck home again with the problem still not fixed. Got the "drive to clean exhaust" message on the truck when I entered my driveway(had never gotten that message before in three years of ownership). Took the truck out to the highway the next day to honor the message's wishes and after getting up to 70mph the truck burped a large amount of smoke, shuddered and went into the complete shut down mode. I had no brakes, power steering or any control of the truck at the last portion of the shut down. Glad I wasn't hooked up to my 30' trailer coming to an intersection at the time. Truck has been at the dealer for a week and a half now and they told me the fuel system has suffered complete destruction.:(They are replacing the high pressure fuel pump, injectors, fuel filters and everything else that has to do with the fuel system and still had to break down more of the engine to make sure nothing else was damaged.

Sorry to be long winded but its amazing to me that FORD did not do some more investigating when the problem was small and cheap. :-banghead

senix 09-04-2011 08:26 AM

Wow, So your fuel pressure reading were still ok I guess even though you were having symptoms.

gwcon 09-04-2011 08:51 AM

senix,

The first time there must have been a slight variation because they replaced the low pressure pump but after that yes, the pressure was normal. Tech had it hooked up to his computer for a thirty minute drive with no codes at all even while it was having the problems.

Brandon D 09-04-2011 02:34 PM

Sorry to hear about the headache, how many miles on that truck now GWCON?? I understand what you're saying that the dealership should have caught it but they won't start replacing parts at their expense until they have a good reason. The good news is that you should still be under warranty and aside from losing your truck for a couple weeks you hopefully won't be out anything else. Good Luck

gwcon 09-04-2011 02:51 PM

Thanks Brandon B. There are 34,000 miles on the truck however, its been over three years so my 3yr 36,000 is gone but I purchased the extended warranty and this damage should be covered under the 100,000 year powertrain warranty. This is why I have more than one truck. I can't run my business with my wife's car and definately could not afford to lose two weeks. Although it is covered, well I hope they don't want to fight over it, it is still a big PIA.

Brandon D 09-04-2011 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by gwcon (Post 10773266)
Thanks Brandon D. There are 34,000 miles on the truck however, its been over three years so my 3yr 36,000 is gone but I purchased the extended warranty and this damage should be covered under the 100,000 year powertrain warranty. This is why I have more than one truck. I can't run my business with my wife's car and definately could not afford to lose two weeks. Although it is covered, well I hope they don't want to fight over it, it is still a big PIA.

That's a major failure for the low mileage, they better cover it or I'd be making some phone calls. Best of luck.

gwcon 09-04-2011 03:33 PM

I agree , I will be and thanks.

StanleyZ 09-04-2011 04:38 PM

I thought the 11B23 flash was going to prevent total failures of the fuel system by shutting down the engine before that could happen. Did you have that re-flash? just wondering.

senix 09-04-2011 05:56 PM

Well it should have been caught if you had the newest flash done. Or at least I think it should have. They will cover it since you had in the shop to begin with and they were trying to figure it out when it happened.

gwcon 09-05-2011 07:37 AM

Had the latest flash when the small problems began. After the tech actually experienced the problem while driving the truck he reflashed it again with a PCM upgrade that he said they had only had for a few days.
The truck shut down like it was supposed to but you can only stop from a speed of 70mph so fast.

Toreador_Diesel 09-05-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by gwcon (Post 10773266)
....This is why I have more than one truck. I can't run my business with my wife's car and definately could not afford to lose two weeks.

For the longest time, I kept wondering why you had 3 of the same trucks...this definitely explains it.

Best of luck to you on the repair!

gwcon 09-05-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel (Post 10776548)
For the longest time, I kept wondering why you had 3 of the same trucks...this definitely explains it.

Best of luck to you on the repair!

That's the main reason but I'm also probably a couple lug nuts short of a tight tire. LOL

Thanks for the well wishes.

senix 09-05-2011 06:42 PM

Keep us posted!

gwcon 09-05-2011 08:19 PM

Will do. Should hear something by Tuesday(I would hope anyways.) Got the backup hooked up and ready to go for tomorrow. Gotta get it while you can.

gwcon 09-08-2011 10:46 AM

Brief update for anyone interested:

Still have not gotten the truck back yet. However, they drove it this AM so it is back together again. Will let you all know what exactly happened when I find out for sure but it seems the high pressure fuel pump failed(which was the tech's guess way back when the problem was small) that caused an overfueling condition which burned up injectors and caused other problems.