Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum135/)
-   -   FORD and TOYOTA TEAM UP (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1093449-ford-and-toyota-team-up.html)

BIGKEN 08-22-2011 10:30 AM

FORD and TOYOTA TEAM UP

Check it out...

Ford, Toyota to join forces on hybrid system for trucks, SUVs | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Sterling Archer 08-22-2011 10:32 AM

Meh. Diesel > hybrid. I would LOVE to own a diesel Land Cruiser pick-up. Thank you :-rollEPA.

Lazy K 08-22-2011 12:46 PM

The hybrid is a seriously flawed concept so good luck to Ford.
Plenty of Yota Land Cruiser pickups in Libya, most with heavy machine guns already mounted in the bed. I suppose shipping would be costly though.

Sterling Archer 08-22-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lazy K (Post 10724765)
The hybrid is a seriously flawed concept so good luck to Ford.
Plenty of Yota Land Cruiser pickups in Libya, most with heavy machine guns already mounted in the bed. I suppose shipping would be costly though.

Lol. Yup. I'd like the ma deuce option. There's a company up near D.C. that imports/exports Land Cruisers for relief organizations. They have plenty of diesel LC pick-ups. They won't sell to individuals though.:-arrgh

Product Variant
Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings Ltd. TGS

tseekins 08-22-2011 01:42 PM

I feel better about a Ford / Toyota R&D team than anyone else.

BIGKEN 08-22-2011 01:50 PM

Ford has actually been buying technology from Toyota for the Escape/Mariner/Fusion hybrids for years.

Lazy K 08-22-2011 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sterling Archer (Post 10724772)
Lol. Yup. I'd like the ma deuce option. There's a company up near D.C. that imports/exports Land Cruisers for relief organizations. They have plenty of diesel LC pick-ups. They won't sell to individuals though.:-arrgh

Product Variant
Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings Ltd. TGS

Problem is they don`t meet emissions regs for either the US or the EU.
Now if they start offering the new V8 diesel then maybe.

640 CI Aluminum FORD 08-22-2011 07:39 PM

I don't take issue with Ford and Toyota partnering to further technology and share notes basically...But I do take issue with the whole Gas/Electric hybrid concept. I agree with the statement that it is a flawed design...Nothing more than a bandaid IMO. Small diesels are outta the question to these days...10 years ago a small diesel would have been excellent for America's trucks...But today the EPA has made it so that even if we did get a small Diesel it would add 10,000$ to the MSRP and its MPG would most likely be disapointing due to all of the emission control equipment it would be required to have.

If Hybrids are to be the way of the future I would much rather see Ford futher the hydraulic hybrid system that was in the works.

Ford F-150 Used to Develop 40 MPG Hydraulic Hybrid Powertrain - PickupTrucks.com News

But either way, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that anyone that thinks this is going to save anyone any money is crazy. I'm almost 100% sure that if we somehow manage to produce a hybrid 1/2 ton truck that gets 40 or 50mpg and small cars that get 70 to 80mpg the price of fuel will shoot threw the roof. I wouldn't be surpised to see fuel go as high 10 or 15$ a gallon just so they can re-coup the money they WOULD have lost due to people buying less gas. So in essence will be pretty much back in square one from a money standpoint. Not to mention that all of the hybrid technology will more than likely raise the inital cost of vehicles threw the roof.

I honestly think that hybrids are a waste of time and efforts...And before anyone jumps my case about how we need more fuel efficent vehicles and all that...Yah Yah...Heard it before, save you're breath. But instead of spending so much time and money on hybrids, I personally think we should be investing in alternate fuels. CNG would make a great bridge fuel...Its very clean burning and more efficent than gasoline, and most modern Internal Combustion Engines can be retrofitted fairly easily to use CNG...Not to mention we have an Ultra high abundance of it right here in the United States. CNG could be used for many years while we futher reserch using a more permenent fuel like Hydrogen or something of that nature.

Greywolf 08-22-2011 08:42 PM

Screw all of that anyway - I WANT a 1/4 ton version of the Aussie 2009 XR8 Falcon UTE

*But then I'm a bit notorious for being DIRECT!

Sterling Archer 08-22-2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lazy K (Post 10725142)
Problem is they don`t meet emissions regs for either the US or the EU.
Now if they start offering the new V8 diesel then maybe.

Yes, which makes me wonder why they even bother bringing them into the U.S. Most of them (AFAIK) sell to organizations that use them in Africa, Asia, etc. I saw a semi loaded with TGS 70 series Land Cruisers on I-95 near Stafford a little while back.

Lazy K 08-24-2011 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sterling Archer (Post 10726342)
Yes, which makes me wonder why they even bother bringing them into the U.S. Most of them (AFAIK) sell to organizations that use them in Africa, Asia, etc. I saw a semi loaded with TGS 70 series Land Cruisers on I-95 near Stafford a little while back.

probably to get high tech communications equipment fitted, maybe even some light armor.

MRredford4.6 09-17-2011 05:10 PM

Well i guess my 2010 F150 is the last ford i buy , i dont want to buy anything that has to do with other countries other canada and the USA , its all about American Made . so what do i buy next when i am ready to buy?

MRredford4.6 09-17-2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by MRredford4.6 (Post 10820653)
Well i guess my 2010 F150 is the last ford i buy , i dont want to buy anything that has to do with other countries other canada and the USA , its all about American Made . so what do i buy next when i am ready to buy?

And yes i know people are going to say Toyotas made in America and honda is made in America , But once all the money is made it goes to the country they came for , We should of never let forigen vehicals on our roads !

Sand_Man 09-18-2011 09:43 AM

I know someone's gonna hate me for this, BUT...whatever happened to competition in this country? You don't like Toyota, Nissan, Honda or whatever, then by God BUILD A BETTER ONE! Most consumers buy the best they can afford, period. Whether it's new or used, they get the most for their money. Idiots buy for political reasons, just look at all the treehuggers buying Subarus for proof on that. I've never met a Subaru owner that had half a brain yet, they just follow the herd. Do you want to be lumped in with THAT group? They bought their Subaru Outback not because it was the most intellegent way to spend $30,000 (yes, they really cost THAT much) but because it looks cool with a "Save The Planet" sticker on it's bumper. My '88 Mustang GT gets better mileage, my V10 F250 Lariat crew cab does a hell of a lot more and is MUCH more comfortable, and I bought them BOTH for much less than what a new Outback costs. I didn't buy them because I believe I'm doing the right thing for the planet, or because of who built them, or even because my peers think I'm a better person for doing so. I bought them because I have always had good luck with Fords, and they were the best I could get for my money at the time. I don't want this to turn into a huge debate, but jeez, when did America turn from the place that used to kick ass and take names into the "there ought to be a law against that" place? Buy what you want, but don't blame everything on "them" because that's what got us into this mess in the first place.

tseekins 09-18-2011 11:58 AM

The F150 is not more American made then the Tundra and as far as I'm concerned, the Tundra is just as well built as the Ford and in some ways better.