Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   EGT Sensor Warranty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1092152-egt-sensor-warranty.html)

RM2738 08-17-2011 11:20 AM

EGT Sensor Warranty

Are the EGT Sensors in the Exhaust & DPF covered under the 5/100,000 mile warranty on a 2008 6.4L? Dealer wants $700 to replace one sensor in the exhaust.

Can you site where you get your answer from for reference?

Thanks

ljutic ss 08-17-2011 02:42 PM

That should be part of the engine which is 5/100,000

RM2738 08-17-2011 03:38 PM

That's my argument. But that's not how they look at it.

ljutic ss 08-17-2011 04:15 PM

Show them your warranty guide page #28 "list of parts covered by defects warranties" exhaust gas recirculation system. (EGR) the coverage is for 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever occurs first. Have them print out where they are not covered. These parts fall under the emission system, page #17 shows "emissions warranties for your vehicle" go down to diesel engine and it shows 5/100,000 for the entire emission system, providing the defective part was not damaged due to negligence, or altered.

RM2738 08-17-2011 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by ljutic ss (Post 10706938)
Show them your warranty guide page #28 "list of parts covered by defects warranties" exhaust gas recirculation system. (EGR) the coverage is for 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever occurs first. Have them print out where they are not covered. These parts fall under the emission system, page #17 shows "emissions warranties for your vehicle" go down to diesel engine and it shows 5/100,000 for the entire emission system, providing the defective part was not damaged due to negligence, or altered.

Thanks.

I cited page 21 where it says that all parts, including sensors, are covered. They say because it's on the exhaust that it's not covered.

senix 08-17-2011 04:58 PM

EGR is covered as it is part of the motor.

EGT sensor is not since it is a sensor on the exhaust. Only covered by the 36/36.

buy the sensor and do it yourself.

ljutic ss 08-17-2011 05:58 PM

EGT sensor is part of the emissions system along with the catalytic converter, even fuel filler cap falls under the emission system. Look on page 20 electronic engine control sensors and switches, even exhaust manifolds are covered. I am almost sure this warranty 5/100,000 on emissions is a federal mandate. Like I mentioned, ask the service manager to print out showing those sensors are not covered.

senix 08-17-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ljutic ss (Post 10707348)
EGT sensor is part of the emissions system along with the catalytic converter, even fuel filler cap falls under the emission system. Look on page 20 electronic engine control sensors and switches, even exhaust manifolds are covered. I am almost sure this warranty 5/100,000 on emissions is a federal mandate. Like I mentioned, ask the service manager to print out showing those sensors are not covered.

See page 17 of the link

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../08frdwa3e.pdf

ljutic ss 08-17-2011 07:37 PM

I can't log on to your link, but my warranty booklet page 17 shows "emission warranties for your vehicle" emission defects warranty for a diesel as 5/100,000 and the same for emission performance warranty.

senix 08-17-2011 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ljutic ss (Post 10707731)
I can't log on to your link, but my warranty booklet page 17 shows "emission warranties for your vehicle" emission defects warranty for a diesel as 5/100,000 and the same for emission performance warranty.

Trouble is the sensor is not on the motor. The the pages that follow and it is not listed.

wp6529 08-17-2011 07:47 PM

It appears that the EGT sensors are not covered under the powertrain warranty, however they are absolutely covered under the emissions defect and performance warranties:

"Also covered by the two emissions warranties are all emissions-related
bulbs, hoses, clamps, brackets, tubes, gaskets, seals, belts, connectors,
non-diesel fuel lines, sensors, and wiring harnesses that are used with
components on the list of parts, above."

ljutic ss 08-17-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by wp6529 (Post 10707766)
It appears that the EGT sensors are not covered under the powertrain warranty, however they are absolutely covered under the emissions defect and performance warranties:

They even mention the fuel filler cap falls under emission warranty.

wp6529 08-17-2011 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ljutic ss (Post 10707849)
They even mention the fuel filler cap falls under emission warranty.

Probably only the gas filler caps, since diesels do not have evaporative emissions. Same reason the diesel fuel lines aren't covered under the emissions warranty.

RM2738 08-17-2011 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by wp6529 (Post 10707766)

That's what I cited. But I was told that those sensors are not emissions related. It's not the dealer, it's solely Ford. the service writer showed me in Oasis where it shows that after 36,000 miles those sensors are not under warranty.

I contacted Ford customer relations and started an escalated ticket to see what they will do. I was told by the agent that their interpretation of the above clause within the Warranty guide is that those parts are covered under warranty ONLY if one of the components listed above that clause in the warranty guide fail and need replacement. Basically, she changed the verbiage in her mind to read "...that are REPLACED with components on the list of parts above." Which is silly, what's the chance a DPF and or DOC fail at the same exact time as a sensor.

My rebuttal was the fact that the verbiage says "...that are USED with components on the list of parts above."

senix 08-18-2011 05:14 AM

EGT sensor used to be covered because of the part #. Ford changed to a non-covered part #.