Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   '51 F4 project (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1091253-51-f4-project.html)

raytasch 11-20-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 11057725)
Thanks Wayne. I've decided I'm not going to install it on the truck until I get the new ends, as it doesn't make sense to do that twice. I'm not driving Betsy yet, so there's no rush. And I found the tie rod ends for $40 at NAPA online.

After I straightened it as best I could, I made the toe adjustment with the original "bent" tie rod using only a tape measure to get the front and back of the tires even. Is there a better way to do this without the special tool in the Shop Manual? Or is this something I'm going to need to take it somewhere to have done correctly?

A tape works. I use a piece of thin wall tubing with a dowel rod inside and at one end. Something like vice grips on on the tubing to hold an adjustment on the dowel rod and you have a pretty darn accurate way to check toe. Both pieces I had on hand.

Jolly Roger Joe 11-20-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 11060238)
A tape works. I use a piece of thin wall tubing with a dowel rod inside and at one end. Something like vice grips on on the tubing to hold an adjustment on the dowel rod and you have a pretty darn accurate way to check toe. Both pieces I had on hand.

Thanks for that. Great idea. I was fighting to keep the tape rigid at a height near the center of the tire. With your method, the dowel could be set on something (brick, block, bucket) and make the measurement easier. I should mark a dowel before I loosen anything again to make it easier to reset it to the same width. :-drink

speedyweasel 11-28-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 11060208)
Sam, I have a 4" wire wheel. I started with that in my drill, but it was taking forever, so I resorted to the manual labor/putty knife scrape method. :)

This is the part where we both say, "man, I could really use a good blasting setup right about now."

Jolly Roger Joe 11-28-2011 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by speedyweasel (Post 11088650)
This is the part where we both say, "man, I could really use a good blasting setup right about now."

That would have made the job a lot easier and faster. But I managed to make it look pretty good anyway. It's in the garage until I can get the tie rod ends from NAPA (or elsewhere).

I learned something from 52 Merc indirectly when I got this part from him. Instead of fighting with the remaining old tie rod end (which I have not tried to remove yet) I think I'll just cut it off. Gonna replace it anyway... :-jammin

Jolly Roger Joe 12-02-2011 07:56 AM

Tis the season...

Since she's not going anywhere, I decorated Betsy for the season.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...e4d342890b.jpg

F4WineGuy 12-02-2011 09:29 AM

Atta Boy! she looks great!

raytasch 12-02-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 11105018)
Since she's not going anywhere, I decorated Betsy for the season.

She looks ghostly. Any comments from the neighbors?

Jolly Roger Joe 12-02-2011 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 11105463)
She looks ghostly. Any comments from the neighbors?

Yes, I should get her painted red, and put a Santa or snowman in the cab.:)

Dano78 12-02-2011 07:16 PM

LOL That is AWESOME! I love it! Puts new meaning into 'yard art'!

Jolly Roger Joe 12-02-2011 07:20 PM

Thanks guys.

If I get a lighted Santa or snowman to put in the cab, I'll post another pic. My wife loves the idea. And since I hope to have Betsy road worthy before NEXT Christmas, this may be the last time I decorate her. But... maybe not.

Jolly Roger Joe 12-03-2011 07:20 PM

I borrowed my son's timing light a few weeks ago, and tried to set the timing. But even with the distributor cranked to the stop, I couldn't make the marks line up. It was too far advanced, and was harder to start.

Then I read this reply from 38 coupe in another thread: "I set the timing at TDC (0 degrees) with the engine off. Turn the engine by hand until the pointer is aimed at the "bump". Pull the distributor cap. Loosen the distributor. Turn the ignition on. Start with the distributor at full retarded and slowly advance it. When the points spark, stop turning the distributor and lock it down. No timing light needed."

I made sure the rotor was pointing at #1 plug ( it can point 180 out with the timing marks lined up) although I doubt it makes a difference, and followed these instructions. The truck starts easier and runs smoother than it has since I got it.

And rather than turning the engine by hand, I used the button on the starter relay to crank the starter. If you do use this method, make sure the ignition key is OFF and the truck is in neutral before pushing that little button. :-X0A6

Dano78 12-04-2011 01:13 AM

Yeah i can't seem to get my timing light to work right on my '53 Mainline (215 Inline 6) I know it's a good timing light as it works on other stuff. I wonder if it being a 6V system, if that throws the light off. I ended up just setting it by trial and error. Will have to try your method next spring when i pull it out of it's cocoon.

But it there any truth in that? Do you have to use a timing light specific to a 6v system? I noticed the same thing with my dwell meter too. Was giving me weird readings... ended up just setting by gap. And input on this?

Jolly Roger Joe 12-04-2011 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dano78 (Post 11111537)
But it there any truth in that? Do you have to use a timing light specific to a 6v system? And input on this?

I used an inductive timing light, and since the light flashed using the 6 volt battery, I can't believe 6v versus 12v makes any difference. It senses the spark to light the light. :-huh

51PanelMan 12-04-2011 11:51 AM

I bought an old Snap-On 6V timing light at an estate sale over the summer for $5. Works like a charm.

Jolly Roger Joe 12-04-2011 12:32 PM

So, does it make a difference if it's a 12v timing light? Does a 12v timing light not work on a 6v system?:-huh

EDIT: I Googled it and came up with this...
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/timinglight.html