Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   '51 F4 project (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1091253-51-f4-project.html)

Cobwebman 08-25-2016 10:27 PM

Joe, what you need is a new project. Take a look: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1622...59152380980371

Cobwebman 08-25-2016 10:35 PM

There are a crap load of old Fords sitting around Montana. Most of them are going to wind up a scrap iron. One of them is just waiting for you to come along and save it.

speedyweasel 08-26-2016 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by ben73058 (Post 16522599)
Sons always need supervision!

Some of us more so than others.

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 16522826)
I'm sure your son will have a ball with the truck (and like Ben said, you will still be working on it....lol)

Yes, I will and yes, he will -- if I get my way.

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 16523231)
Dragging brakes should not be much of an issue.

Agreed. Just an adjustment issue according to the jollyroger himself.

Originally Posted by Harrier (Post 16523321)
Well, Speedyweasel welcome to this group.
We need a picture of your new truck.

We are looking forward to all the PO stories. :)

Thanks for the welcome, but I've chimed in on this thread several times before. In fact - see below.

The PO stories all start with inside jokes, like "green is a nice color" and "you can't get there from here - you gotta go someplace else to start."

Originally Posted by Jimmyrigg (Post 16523999)
Keep the old girl runnin!

:-X22

Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4 (Post 16524511)
BTW, Great to have you here Speedyweasel!
Mark

Thanks, Mark. I have been lurking and chiming in here for a while. In fact, the OP in this thread said:

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 10693419)
This is a continuation of the thread begun by my son when he thought he would be getting the truck I ended up with. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-up-today.html

I have to say FTE is the best thing I could have found (actually, my son found it) as a resource for helpful hints, ideas and information.

I've let my '78 Bronco thread decay a bit (many updates I have posted on FSB but not on FTE), but I do like to keep the thread going. It's a great way to keep your bearing. When it just feels like you are stuck and not sure where to go, I go back and read through my threads... and realize just HOW MUCH I've already gotten done. It motivates me to do some more.

Anyway - I'll keep up with what I can get done. Progress will be slow at first. I just got a new job and I have many hours of training every week on top of that. But as things get done, I'll keep y'all posted. You've been helpful to that other guy :-roll and I figure I'll pick your collective brains, too.

Jolly Roger Joe 08-26-2016 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 16523036)
Maybe I should start a thread about how to make an F4 :oval a road friendly daily driver.:-hijacked

That would be a GREAT thread Ray! I know Blue is a successful example of your skills and forward thinking.

I know some others have done amazing things as well, like the disk front brakes.

But if you start a thread like that, I'm sure it will be popular with all the larger truck guys who want to travel at highway speeds safely.

I'm going to see if I can give you reps, but I really doubt it. :-arrgh So, I'll just say Attaboy! :D

Jolly Roger Joe 08-26-2016 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Harrier (Post 16522251)
I hope you son enjoys the truck. Maybe he can take over this thread and continue the adventures of Betsy!

Hey, I have't had much to say for years, but I keep posting. If you do get one of them new-fangled 65's be sure to let us know. Of course pictures would be required.

You have learned a lot over the time you have been working on Betsy. You can hang around and share your knowledge.

Hmmm. I think he already has taken it over. If I get a '65 or '66 I will return with pics. :-X06

Originally Posted by 38 coupe (Post 16522305)
We do appreciate you hanging around. This has been a fun thread. Who says hanging around FTE isn't productive? After a long day I'm usually in a much better mood if I spend some time reading through the new FTE content.

I see what you mean Fred. I was an avid reader, and tried to interject my experience (sometimes incorrectly) when I saw something I "thought" I knew about. Sometimes, I had to retract my "knowledgeable" input. :)

Originally Posted by abe (Post 16522355)
Say it ain't so, Joe!

Hate to see you sell your truck, even if it is to your son. But please stick around. We need your expertise.

Abe

And you are one of the reasons I have enjoyed being a part of FTE for 5 years. I have a little experience now, but I would not call it expertise. :D

But I am saving the :oval piece I got (and refurbished) from you. It will be in my future shop.

Originally Posted by ben73058 (Post 16522599)
Hey Joe,
Hmmmmm.... "Since my son is buying Betsy, I'm pretty much done with working on it."
My son drives our truck most of the time.... I can promise ....You aren't pretty much done working on it!
Sons always need supervision!

Stay on here with your friends Joe.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

I have made many friends directly because of FTE. Some I've had the pleasure to meet in person, and others, like yourself, only online.

And, no matter what Charlie (Speedyweasel) may tell the group, he is already WAY beyond my skill level. The only area I can show him up is in welding, and I'm still a rookie there. And he has less than a year to gain my assistance in presence with Betsy, because we're moving to Virginia.

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 16522826)
Don't be a stranger Joe
I'm sure your son will have a ball with the truck (and like Ben said, you will still be working on it....lol)

This thread has been awesome! You will be missed. Please drop a line from time to time and let us know how you are doing.

Bobby

Bobby, we never got a chance to meet face-to-face. I tried enough times, but you were always out of town. Believe me, I understand that. I traveled for a living for 37 years.

I have had fun while learning with this thread. We are moving to Virginia by this time next year, so my remaining time to work on Betsy has a time limit, no matter what Charlie (Speedyweasel) says.

Originally Posted by Harrier (Post 16523321)
Well, Speedyweasel welcome to this group.
We need a picture of your new truck.

We are looking forward to all the PO stories. :)

As he has noted already, Charlie has been contributing to this thread from its inception.

Originally Posted by Jimmyrigg (Post 16523999)
Keep the old girl runnin!

Charlie, and I think, my granddaughters, will keep Betsy running. That's one of the reasons he's getting the truck.

Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4 (Post 16524511)
Hey Joe, I think you need to buy a monkey face F4 now and stay on this forum with your son. You can "restore" them together and keep us posted}>.
BTW, Great to have you here Speedyweasel!
Mark

Mark,

All I can say is... see above... :)

Originally Posted by Cordless (Post 16525099)
Joe, stick around. I'm just starting work on the '52 F6 that has been in my family since new. Your thread and videos are one of the reasons I decided to go forward with this project. I'll need your perspective.

Thanks.

This is one of the nicest things about being a part of this group. I know you must realize there are many differences between your truck and mine. But if anything I've shown in this VERY long thread has helped you and others, it's more than worth it. :-X03

And since your truck has been in your family for years, I think you'll understand why I'm looking for a truck like my Daddy's. A 1965 F100 long bed V8 manual trans. I can still see him driving that truck where others told him he could not go without 4 wheel drive and chains.

Originally Posted by Cobwebman (Post 16525192)
Ya Joe, stick around. I'm getting ready to do more on my F500.

I'll help you in any way I can.

Originally Posted by Cobwebman (Post 16525220)
Joe, what you need is a new project. Take a look: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1622...59152380980371

I am looking for a "new truck". But the search is rather specific ('65 - '66) with a 352 V8 and a stick. I may have found one in Arizona (thanks Charlie). And one thing I've learned the hard way, even though it has been reiterated here many, many times. I am looking for a truck that's "mostly finished".

Originally Posted by Cobwebman (Post 16525240)
There are a crap load of old Fords sitting around Montana. Most of them are going to wind up a scrap iron. One of them is just waiting for you to come along and save it.

I appreciate that info. And I am definitely not stuck on any area of the country to find a rust free "next" project. I will not be looking in Wisconsin or Minnesota, but Montana is not out of the picture. I'm starting in the Southwest though. Maybe less chance of rust.

Originally Posted by speedyweasel (Post 16523138)
You're not going anywhere. Or you'd better not be. The bed will be a lot of work and you already know all the measurements. Maybe we can work out the dragging brake issue before you find YOUR Daddy's truck.

So, while you may switch forums to one of them thar newfangled things from the '60s, you're not getting off that easy.

Thank you for agreeing to sell me the truck. I never thought you'd sell it. I love it and your granddaughters love it - and they will undoubtedly want to help work on it like they have with the Bronco and the Excursion. Come to think of it, I'll put them to work on the bed once I get the lumber.

Don't worry, jollyrogerjoe fans. The truck has already captured the hearts of a 3rd generation in this family.

While I'm still here, I will do what I can to "finish" the bed (but you're buying). I have an idea of how "I" want it to look, but you have to decide that now. My plans have been based on the mirrors I have on the truck, meaning a lower than stock set of stakes. If you want it to look more like stock, that can be done, but the mirrors will need to be changed so you can see behind you.

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 16523231)
Edit: Dragging brakes should not be much of an issue.

I'm a lazy SOB. I know what's wrong (after all the things I've asked about on here) but it's so close to being right, I haven't bothered adjusting it.

I guess I could have responded to each of these separately to increase my thread's reply count. I have to admit, it's been kind of "rewarding" to have the most viewed and responded to "build thread" on this forum. But I think a lot of that is because I;m such a blabbermouth. I will now admit to the group that I was amazed when I passed Keith's fire truck build (as I told him). You guys have been good friends, and I don't want to leave you. I really enjoyed attending Truckstock last year and meeting those of you I hadn't seen while I was working (Ross). But I can't imagine my rookie's experience helping anyone who has read the thread. I will still respond to any updates where appropriate, as I have the thread set to automatically notify me.

abe 08-26-2016 09:11 PM

Joe, thanks for the kind words. I am glad you are saving the Ford script. It does make nice garage art.

So you are heading back east? Maybe we'll see each other at a Truckstock sometime!

bobbytnm 08-26-2016 09:19 PM

Joe,
Moving to Virginia. That will make it a lot easier to work n the truck since you, due to your experience and distance, will be forced into a supervisory/consultative type roll. You can direct the work and then click your tongue in sympathy when the lad doesn't heed your advice and stumbles....LOL

Speedweasel, Welcome to the madness!!

Bobby

Jolly Roger Joe 08-26-2016 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 16527480)
Joe, thanks for the kind words. I am glad you are saving the Ford script. It does make nice garage art.

So you are heading back east? Maybe we'll see each other at a Truckstock sometime!

We are moving to Virginia from the Republik of Kalifornia as soon as it makes financial sense to do so. I will become a legislated criminal in this state before we move but I plan to hide until we get the truck loaded.

We both grew up here, and it's a shame what this state has become. I won't live here any longer than necessary.

I do plan to go to future Truckstocks when they are within driving range.

But we'd both like to see the northeast in autumn, so maybe we'll hook up that way.

Jolly Roger Joe 08-26-2016 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 16527504)
Joe,
Moving to Virginia. That will make it a lot easier to work n the truck since you, due to your experience and distance, will be forced into a supervisory/consultative type roll. You can direct the work and then click your tongue in sympathy when the lad doesn't heed your advice and stumbles....LOL

Speedweasel, Welcome to the madness!!

Bobby

Bobby, you don't know Charlie. He will ask for help when he needs it, but he won't need it nearly as often as I did. I don't know where he learned all this stuff... It was not from me. ;) And he's not a child. He's 39 years old with a family.

And, on a side note, as we are travelling back to VA with a trailer load of goodies, I still would really like to meet you face-to-face at last. We might find an occasion to open a frosty beverage. :-drink

bobbytnm 08-26-2016 10:37 PM

Joe,
39 is still just a kid...lol

When you start heading east, and you find yourself in the area, I'll take you up on the offer of a frosty beverage (providing I'm in town...lol).

Bobby

Jolly Roger Joe 08-26-2016 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 16527703)
Joe,
39 is still just a kid...lol

When you start heading east, and you find yourself in the area, I'll take you up on the offer of a frosty beverage (providing I'm in town...lol).

Bobby

And that's always been the problem... you're never there when I'm there. Maybe we'll plan to cruise through Albuquerque on a weekend for a change.

speedyweasel 09-05-2016 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 16527615)
Bobby, you don't know Charlie. He will ask for help when he needs it, but he won't need it nearly as often as I did. I don't know where he learned all this stuff... It was not from me. ;)

I'm sure I'll need plenty. And these guys will want to see how Betsy progresses so I'll post up what I have anyway. I still clearly need your help on my "young" truck - never mind one 26 years its senior.

Jolly Roger Joe 09-05-2016 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by speedyweasel (Post 16550028)
I'm sure I'll need plenty. And these guys will want to see how Betsy progresses so I'll post up what I have anyway. I still clearly need your help on my "young" truck - never mind one 26 years its senior.

Oh, you're going to find that Betsy is a lot easier to work on in several areas than your new-fangled Bronco.

And you failed to mention that we went out Saturday for your first crash box driving lessons.

He did really well, a lot better than I did. After just a few trips around the block, he was hitting 3rd gear with no grinding. I'd say Betsy has found a good home. :-blah

speedyweasel 09-05-2016 10:33 AM

You're right! That's because there are no pics ... so it never happened.

Jolly Roger Joe 09-08-2016 05:09 PM

Pics or it didn't happen

No, this is not in response to Speedyweasel's crash box driving lessons in Betsy.

This is in response to the requests for pics of my "new" truck. I shopped for a long time all over the west to find a truck like my daddy used to have. I found one I really wanted near Phoenix, but it sold before I could get there to look at it. I found another that looked so good, it just had to be Photoshopped. But that guy never got back to me.

This morning, I changed my CL search by a few digits, and found the truck I drove home this afternoon. She currently wears the moniker "Stella" as you can see by the license plate. I'll be changing the plates to give one back to the seller and to use my Daddy's 65 Ford F100 plate number.

Shut up and show us the pics already...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...32d34c8083.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...da089f6ee9.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c03a301b85.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...cab73fc7f4.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...98dfb258e4.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...47c59b9247.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...8ad18ac8a5.jpg