Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   '51 F4 project (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1091253-51-f4-project.html)

bobbytnm 05-22-2016 10:01 PM

That's going to be nice!

You better be careful. Oh, sure, right now you are having your fun, laughing and joking, making innocent little quips about the darkside and how you're getting all "reckless" and getting crazy with these modifications.
...but.....

....beware...

...the darkside never sleeps. Its very persistent and patient and will remember these little slights of yours. Someday, when you least expect it.....WHAMMO! BANG! CRASH!!

You'll find you're doing something like putting little chrome caps on your valve stems, or taking your gauges apart and painting the needles with some crazy fiery red color, or maybe even spinning on a bright white shift knob.

Tread carefully mister

You have been warned

Bobby

Jolly Roger Joe 05-22-2016 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 16304721)
That's going to be nice!

You better be careful. Oh, sure, right now you are having your fun, laughing and joking, making innocent little quips about the darkside and how you're getting all "reckless" and getting crazy with these modifications.
...but.....

....beware...

...the darkside never sleeps. Its very persistent and patient and will remember these little slights of yours. Someday, when you least expect it.....WHAMMO! BANG! CRASH!!

You'll find you're doing something like putting little chrome caps on your valve stems, or taking your gauges apart and painting the needles with some crazy fiery red color, or maybe even spinning on a bright white shift knob.

Tread carefully mister

You have been warned

Bobby

Thanks Bobby! This had me literally laughing out loud... :-X04

raytasch 05-23-2016 05:56 AM

Now I have to clean coffee out of my KB.

Jolly Roger Joe 05-24-2016 09:13 PM

I've decided to round off the stake tops. I discovered the perfectly sized template is a can of Campbell's Tomato soup. No pictures yet, so it didn't happen.

I don't think I'm going to rout the faces like on the originals. There I go being all darksider again. :-X06

I find the design of the bed interesting, being new to stake beds and all. The front stake pockets are designed with holes to bolt the stakes in, since you'd probably never want to remove the "headboard". But there are holes in the other pocket sides as well, which could be used to "permanently" secure those stakes.

Harrier 05-24-2016 10:17 PM

Well at least you aren't using a darksider cookie as a template.
I'm thinking you are eating a few of them though. :)

bobbytnm 05-24-2016 11:29 PM

Hmmm, I would be willing to bet that the diameter of a Campbell's soup can is nearly identical to a Darkside Cookie

mwahhahaha mwaaaaaahhhhahhahaaaahaha, mwahahaha

Jolly Roger Joe 05-25-2016 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 16310105)
Hmmm, I would be willing to bet that the diameter of a Campbell's soup can is nearly identical to a Darkside Cookie

mwahhahaha mwaaaaaahhhhahhahaaaahaha, mwahahaha

Well, I thought it was just the soup making me feel hungry while I marked the boards. Maybe it was cookies after all...

Anyway, just to prove I did it, here's a pic of the soup can (or cookie) stakes.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...eb3031ddb7.jpg

abe 05-25-2016 01:15 PM

They look great! And uniform! Not anywhere near the dark side.

bobbytnm 05-25-2016 01:17 PM

Looks great!!

I think the shorter stake bed sides are going to look fantastic!

Jolly Roger Joe 05-25-2016 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 16311393)
They look great! And uniform! Not anywhere near the dark side.

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 16311400)
Looks great!!

I think the shorter stake bed sides are going to look fantastic!

Thanks guys.

I don't really consider myself a darksider... not yet anyway. Still using the original drive train... 226 with the crash box and 5:14 rear gears. Widow makers are gone, but the Budds look almost the same. The folks at Classic Haulers recommended not buying the repopped mirrors so I got these. No, the bed's not stock, but at least it's a Script bed. :oval So I'm going with the shorter stakes because I like the way they look. And I probably eat too many cookies already. ;)

pgg00 05-25-2016 01:47 PM

Is there such a thing as too many cookies?

Jolly Roger Joe 05-26-2016 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by pgg00 (Post 16311487)
Is there such a thing as too many cookies?

Only when you run out of belt holes.

pgg00 05-26-2016 01:30 AM

Lol. Carry a knife and make another hole

Cobwebman 05-27-2016 03:18 PM

Been going through you build; very nice work very, very nice truck. I am starting a build on a 56' F500. I can only hope mine comes out as well as yours has so far.

Jolly Roger Joe 05-27-2016 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cobwebman (Post 16316306)
Been going through you build; very nice work very, very nice truck. I am starting a build on a 56' F500. I can only hope mine comes out as well as yours has so far.

Thanks Cobwebman. And Welcome to FTE! :-wink Have you started a build thread on here yet? I'd like to see your truck.

I was lucky to find one that didn't need a lot to get it on the road. Well, brakes and wheels and wiring... but I was able to do those things myself. Being a complete novice at this, I was glad to be lead here to FTE to get answers to my billions of questions. And Stu McMillan found the wheels for me locally. I've gotten parts from several FTE members just by mentioning what I needed or wanted. And in some cases learned I was missing a part which was also provided by another member. :-X25

I've been at it for almost 5 years. July, 2011 is when I got the truck. My wife told me when I got it that it would probably take me ten years to finish it. She is usually right, but I think I'll be done before then, unless I decide to do things which aren't currently planned.

I still need to paint it. Then I need to finish the interior. I want to put some nice looking wood in the bed also (and finish the stakes). But I can drive it whenever I want now. I just can't go very fast... or very far... at 7 mpg. :)