Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   '51 F4 project (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1091253-51-f4-project.html)

Jolly Roger Joe 09-30-2014 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 14706054)
Welcome to the ORF club. It takes a while to settle in but I am sure you can handle it, Joe. I've been retired almost twenty years and still wake up once in a while thinking about work. I stay exactly as busy as I want to.
Edit: Except when the wife tells me to do something.:D

Originally Posted by 52 Merc (Post 14706092)

Congrats, Joe!

Thanks Ray and Wayne. I hope never to wake up thinking about my job again, but who knows...

Wayne, I don't know if we'll ever make it to the tri-cities area again, but again, who knows? If we do, I'd love to have Kathy meet you as well.

Ray, not sure where you are in S.E. TN but we're planning now for a trip to take us to TN next summer to see our land in Stewart County up near Lake Barkley. That's still a long ways from S.E.TN, but who knows? When I was a kid, we went to Lookout Mountain and I'll never forget that view. And I don't feel as ancient as Fred Flintstone yet. :D

tinman52 09-30-2014 10:07 PM

Congrats Joe, enjoy your retirement. You earned it!

Jolly Roger Joe 09-30-2014 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by tinman52 (Post 14706362)
Congrats Joe, enjoy your retirement. You earned it!

Thanks Scott. I hope to get used to it really quickly... ;)

Harrier 09-30-2014 11:48 PM

Congrats Joe! Enjoy your retirement.
If you are ever up near Central Missouri, I have a few things that would help keep you busy. :)

ben73058 10-01-2014 06:30 AM

Hey Joe,
Congratulations! Retirement Hmmmm..... Like you, I travelled a ton - I definitely didn't want to get right back on a plane for vacation. Being home was vacation enough for me!

I did find that my body was programmed after so many years to get up at exactly the same time every morning - 6:00am. You'll need to come up with a few projects to keep yourself out of trouble. It will be hard to slow down at first - you have to develop a slower clock.

My kids laughed at me - At first I'd send them Powerpoint charts & Todo Lists when discussing things.

Have Fun!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

truckdog62563 10-01-2014 08:11 AM

Add my welcome to the retirement life. Hope you enjoy all your new free time. Stu

Marauder2004 10-01-2014 06:32 PM

Congratulations to you Joe! It's time to take it easy and realize that you've earned this break in duties!

Jafo56 10-01-2014 07:26 PM

Congrats on your retirement joe well deserved! I retired in May of 2013 after a 25 year long career as a police officer, I moved out of NJ to rural PA it's just starting to sink in you will love it!!! Buy more trucks that will keep you busy!!! If you were closer I would by you a retirement cup of coffee!

Jolly Roger Joe 10-01-2014 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Harrier (Post 14706539)
Congrats Joe! Enjoy your retirement.
If you are ever up near Central Missouri, I have a few things that would help keep you busy. :)

Well heck Joe, I don't see how I could pass that up! :-X03

Thank you sir.

Jolly Roger Joe 10-01-2014 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ben73058 (Post 14706790)
Hey Joe,
Congratulations! Retirement Hmmmm..... Like you, I travelled a ton - I definitely didn't want to get right back on a plane for vacation. Being home was vacation enough for me!

I did find that my body was programmed after so many years to get up at exactly the same time every morning - 6:00am. You'll need to come up with a few projects to keep yourself out of trouble. It will be hard to slow down at first - you have to develop a slower clock.

My kids laughed at me - At first I'd send them Powerpoint charts & Todo Lists when discussing things.

Have Fun!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Well Ben, I stayed up past midnight for the first time in recent memory watching a movie. I managed to stay in bed til 8:00. My wife said it's the only time I've done that if I wasn't sick.

But I did work outside the house a little too much. I noticed another area that needs the weeds removed and remembered... I can do that later! So I quit and came into the house.

I'll get the hang of it soon, I hope. :-jammin

Jolly Roger Joe 10-01-2014 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by truckdog62563 (Post 14706939)
Add my welcome to the retirement life. Hope you enjoy all your new free time. Stu

Thanks Stu. I have enjoyed my first day! But it still feels funny that I won't have an end to this "vacation". :-X0A6

Jolly Roger Joe 10-01-2014 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Marauder2004 (Post 14708514)
Congratulations to you Joe! It's time to take it easy and realize that you've earned this break in duties!

Thanks Howard. My wife and kids have all told me the same thing... I've earned this break. But old habits die hard, and it will take some adjusting.

Rest assured I'm going to put a lot of effort into making that adjustment. :-X06

Jolly Roger Joe 10-01-2014 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jafo56 (Post 14708650)
Congrats on your retirement joe well deserved! I retired in May of 2013 after a 25 year long career as a police officer, I moved out of NJ to rural PA it's just starting to sink in you will love it!!! Buy more trucks that will keep you busy!!! If you were closer I would by you a retirement cup of coffee!

Thanks JaFo. I see in your profile you like Harleys too. I went out to start mine today, but I guess the trickle charger isn't working, and my battery was dead. I put the charger on it for 5 hours... the battery is shot. :-huh

Thanks for the coffee offer. I think I'll go get something to drink. :-drink

bobbytnm 10-04-2014 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 14708715)
I guess the trickle charger isn't working, and my battery was dead. I put the charger on it for 5 hours... the battery is shot. :-huh

Batteries don't seem to hold up like they used to, especially bike batteries. It seems like I buy a new one every other year. I hate having to replace my bike (or jet ski) battery at this time of year since they don't get as much use as in the summer months.
I guess I better see if my bike will light off today

Bobby

Jolly Roger Joe 10-06-2014 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 14714717)
Batteries don't seem to hold up like they used to, especially bike batteries. It seems like I buy a new one every other year. I hate having to replace my bike (or jet ski) battery at this time of year since they don't get as much use as in the summer months.
I guess I better see if my bike will light off today

Bobby

Well Bobby, I charged it up again and let it sit in the garage overnight. It was reading 12.76 volts with no load. Next morning it was reading 12.88 volts with no load.

So I decided to really "load it down" as a test. I hooked up a single 12 volt taillight to it and watched it dip immediately down to 9.9 volts.

I guess we're supposed to recycle these things. I was talking to the wife about how old the battery is. I don't ride the bike as often as I used to. I don't think I've even started it in 6 months... She told me that battery is at least 10 years old! Well, no wonder it's shot... :-X19