Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum182/)
-   -   Ford Truck Recall (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1088081-ford-truck-recall.html)

truknutt 08-01-2011 07:43 PM

Ford Truck Recall

Has anyone seen or heard this tid-bit?

Ford is recalling 1.1 million older pickup trucks because corrosion can cause the straps holding their gas tanks to fail, potentially allowing the tank to drag underneath the truck or fall off completely.

The car maker said the recall affects certain F-150 trucks from the 1997 through 2003 model years, F-150 Heritage models from the 2004 model year, F-250 models from 1997 through 1999, and Lincoln Blackwood vehicles from 2002 and 2003. The vehicle were built from June 20, 1995 through Aug. 4, 2004 and sold or registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia.

These states are known to use a lot of road salt or other de-icing chemicals to control ice during winter months. Ford says prolonged exposure to the chemicals may cause the straps that hold the fuel tank underneath the vehicle to corrode.

The corrosion can cause one or both straps to fail, which can result in the tank falling to the ground. It could also cause the fuel lines to separate from the tank. In either case leaking fuel could become a fire hazard.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began investigating the problem about a year ago and intensified the probe in May.

Under the recall, Ford will notify owners and tell them to take their vehicles to a Ford or Lincoln dealer to have the fuel tank straps replaced with straps that have increased corrosion protection. The service is free of charge. The recall is expected to begin about Sept. 12. Owners may contact Ford at 866-436-7332.
<!-- article end -->

MRUGG 08-01-2011 11:51 PM

Very inerresting.I know of a couple friends a few years back that had them break and had to replace.

NJ Dale 08-06-2011 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by truknutt (Post 10647606)
Has anyone seen or heard this tid-bit?

Ford is recalling 1.1 million older pickup trucks because corrosion can cause the straps holding their gas tanks to fail, potentially allowing the tank to drag underneath the truck or fall off completely.

The car maker said the recall affects certain F-150 trucks from the 1997 through 2003 model years, F-150 Heritage models from the 2004 model year, F-250 models from 1997 through 1999, and Lincoln Blackwood vehicles from 2002 and 2003. The vehicle were built from June 20, 1995 through Aug. 4, 2004 and sold or registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia.

These states are known to use a lot of road salt or other de-icing chemicals to control ice during winter months. Ford says prolonged exposure to the chemicals may cause the straps that hold the fuel tank underneath the vehicle to corrode.

The corrosion can cause one or both straps to fail, which can result in the tank falling to the ground. It could also cause the fuel lines to separate from the tank. In either case leaking fuel could become a fire hazard.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began investigating the problem about a year ago and intensified the probe in May.

Under the recall, Ford will notify owners and tell them to take their vehicles to a Ford or Lincoln dealer to have the fuel tank straps replaced with straps that have increased corrosion protection. The service is free of charge. The recall is expected to begin about Sept. 12. Owners may contact Ford at 866-436-7332.
<!-- article end -->

I guess F350's dont fall under that recall? If ya want to hear something funny though.... Three weeks ago, Toyota bought back my 97 Tacoma with 145K miles for 11 grand. It was a frame rust recall and my truck had a few holes in it the size of a quarter,so I took it to my local dealership and they gave me a check for the truck. Then I went on craigs list and bought my Super Duty.The Toyota frame rust recall was only in certain states because of road salt as you mentioned on the Fords.

Oldtrucknut7077 08-11-2011 05:45 PM

Thanks Dave. What a shame it doesn't apply to the 2000 Excursions. I need to drop the tank on mine due to some rusting issues.