Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Dual exhaust on a v10 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1087701-dual-exhaust-on-a-v10.html)

jlarsen513 07-31-2011 02:51 PM

Dual exhaust on a v10

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and haven't been able to find a thread yet about dual exhaust on a V10. I was wondering of anyone has done it and if you noticed any power difference. Also opinions on the sound. Thanks for your help!

redford 07-31-2011 03:51 PM

Hi jlarsen513 and welcome to FTE.

What year is your V-10? The reason I ask is the 3 valve (3V) engines (2005-2010) have pretty decent flowing stock systems and may not respond to a dual exhaust upgrade well. The 1999-2004 engines (2V) have fairly restrictive exhaust systems. You would probably feel a power increasing with dual exhaust......but, there are cheaper ways to get better flowing exhaust in a 2V engine.

A/Ox4 07-31-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by redford (Post 10642729)
......but, there are cheaper ways to get better flowing exhaust in a 2V engine.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...st-sawzall.jpg

:-drink

ArcticV10 07-31-2011 06:56 PM

I put dual exhaust on my 02 V10 slight power gains. Fuel mileage is better but i love hearing it so im pretty heavy on the petal. :-X04

A/Ox4 07-31-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by ArcticV10 (Post 10643306)
I put dual exhaust on my 02 V10 slight power gains. Fuel mileage is better but i love hearing it so im pretty heavy on the petal. :-X04

Hows it sound? I've only ever heard bad sounding V10s around here... I'm told that good sounding ones exist.

dkf 07-31-2011 07:02 PM

Keep the single 3" pipe size, replace the stock muffler with a large capacity aftermarket muffler and add an exhaust tip if you wish. Thank me later.

ArcticV10 07-31-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by TreySpooner65 (Post 10643310)
Hows it sound? I've only ever heard bad sounding V10s around here... I'm told that good sounding ones exist.

well hard to explain without actually having a video but most people think it sounds like a diesel or at least iv had alot people ask if its a diesel. Maybe il try to post a vid in a while.

NJ Dale 07-31-2011 07:10 PM

My 2000 F350 V10 has dual exhaust from the muffler back, but I always thought it came that way factory because I noticed it appeared the pipes were never cut after I bought it from the original owner. I love the sound.Anyone know if once these pipes rust that going to 4 inch would give much better sound and/or power than the stock 3 inch?

dkf 07-31-2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Dale (Post 10643349)
My 2000 F350 V10 has dual exhaust from the muffler back, but I always thought it came that way factory because I noticed it appeared the pipes were never cut after I bought it from the original owner. I love the sound.Anyone know if once these pipes rust that going to 4 inch would give much better sound and/or power than the stock 3 inch?

Sound like you have a SIDO muffler on your truck. (SIDO = Single In Dual Out) All they did was cut the stock exhaust off right in front of the old muffler and installed the SIDO muffler and dual tailpipes. If you want the dual exhaust look I would recommend going that route. No super duty ever rolled off the line with SIDO setup or dual tailpipes.

Another option for dual exhaust is what is known as "true duals". True duals are one exhaust pipe off of each engine bank running from the header/manifold back to the tailpipe. On the SD and most modern trucksboth pipes have to be routed down one side of the frame rails because the fuel tank is in the way. Routing both pipes down one side creates and unequal length true dual setup which is not optimal.

As for the 4" pipe it will change the tone some but IMO its not optimal for power production, especially down low.

jlarsen513 08-01-2011 04:13 PM

The truck is a '99. I've owned another '99 and I went the route of aftermarket muffler. It changed the sound a little and maybe better throttle response. Just looking at doing something different. I put a true dual with an x pipe on my F150, it made a huge difference I think.
I guess my next question would be dual 3" or 2 1/2". I'd think 3" wouldn't have enough back pressure. Thanks for the suggestions!

dkf 08-01-2011 04:19 PM

Dual 3" is WAY overkill, especially on an NPI engine.

NJ Dale 08-01-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by dkf (Post 10643769)
Sound like you have a SIDO muffler on your truck. (SIDO = Single In Dual Out) All they did was cut the stock exhaust off right in front of the old muffler and installed the SIDO muffler and dual tailpipes. If you want the dual exhaust look I would recommend going that route. No super duty ever rolled off the line with SIDO setup or dual tailpipes.

Another option for dual exhaust is what is known as "true duals". True duals are one exhaust pipe off of each engine bank running from the header/manifold back to the tailpipe. On the SD and most modern trucksboth pipes have to be routed down one side of the frame rails because the fuel tank is in the way. Routing both pipes down one side creates and unequal length true dual setup which is not optimal.

As for the 4" pipe it will change the tone some but IMO its not optimal for power production, especially down low.

Thanks for the info,that explains why I've had a hard time finding the replacement muffler based on this Trucks specs. I finally wound up just taking measurements on the inlet and outlets with the existing muffler size to order a new one.You said that "No super duty ever rolled off the line with SIDO setup or dual tailpipes" so the previous owner must of had a shop weld it together because there is no break between the Cat and the SIDO muffler or between the muffler and the duals coming out.

A/Ox4 08-01-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Dale (Post 10647233)
Thanks for the info,that explains why I've had a hard time finding the replacement muffler based on this Trucks specs. I finally wound up just taking measurements on the inlet and outlets with the existing muffler size to order a new one.You said that "No super duty ever rolled off the line with SIDO setup or dual tailpipes" so the previous owner must of had a shop weld it together because there is no break between the Cat and the SIDO muffler or between the muffler and the duals coming out.

There are two methods used when modifying exhaust systems, the clamp method, and the weld method. Both are pretty good, but for the person who wants to be thorough, welding is the way to go. Not that uncommon.

dkf 08-01-2011 06:27 PM

Some shops fully weld, some use all clamps and some use both. The only place I use clamps on my systems is the muffler.(Along with a couple tack welds) Sometimes a baffle comes loose inside the muffler and you have to replace it. With some work you can usually get the muffler off without cutting the piping: cut tacks, put on the new muffler and reclamp it. I like to avoid short sections of filler pipe if at all possible.

EODguyJake 08-02-2011 02:18 AM

I put a large capacity single in/single out flowmaster on my V-10. I had the exhaust shop curl the pipe around the spare tire, tuck it up out of sight (really liked the no pipe look), and angle cut the end so it was facing the ground for more sound. It sounded like a healthy 5.0. I was talked out of duals, as the shop said they had yet to find a setup any of their customers liked. However, this was many years ago.