Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   What modifications can I make to get better torque & fuel economy out of my 6.2? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1087671-what-modifications-can-i-make-to-get-better-torque-and-fuel-economy-out-of-my-6-2-a.html)

johnnyballgame 07-31-2011 12:36 PM

What modifications can I make to get better torque & fuel economy out of my 6.2?

I've heard to get a chip or tuner installed on them, but have no clue about what the pros/cons are of them, and also if they will negatively effect the vehicle over time. I'm not happy with the 9.8 MPG I'm getting, coupled with the fact that the truck doesn't pull my 10,000lb trailer very well. It really struggles with that much weight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JBG

Super08 07-31-2011 01:05 PM

I take it you have 3.73 gears.

johnnyballgame 07-31-2011 01:08 PM

yeah and i don't understand the difference in the gears?

Super08 07-31-2011 06:19 PM

Higher ratio gears give you more mechanical advantage. In otherwords more power to the grLund. That is why it would have been better to have got 4.30's if towing heavy.

kmonty2 08-01-2011 05:43 PM

I have the 3.73 gear and have no problem with my trailer, only 9000#.

If you want better MPG, you will have to be easier on the gas pedal. You can get around 14-16 on the highway if you keep it around 65-68 with the cruise. You should not expect good gas mileage with a 7500 lbs truck that has a flat front end.

As far as the tuners, I have one and it made a big difference in the way the truck reacts to the throttle. Have not seen much increase in the fuel economy yet, but I have only used the tow and performance tunes so far. Won't be using the economy tune until Sep. I do seem to get a little better with the tow tune then the performance, mainly because the performance tune is fun and fast. I would not recommend you getting a tune just for MPG's, you will be disappointed.

Strokt350d 08-02-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyballgame (Post 10642170)
I've heard to get a chip or tuner installed on them, but have no clue about what the pros/cons are of them, and also if they will negatively effect the vehicle over time. I'm not happy with the 9.8 MPG I'm getting, coupled with the fact that the truck doesn't pull my 10,000lb trailer very well. It really struggles with that much weight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JBG

The stock truck tune makes the thing feel like it has no horsepower. It's the most "shift happy" thing I've ever driven. My truck will be in 6th gear at 37mph. The horsepower and torque it there for sure, it just has a funny way of showing it with the transmission strategies the way they are.

To prove it to yourself, take the truck out unloaded and floor it from a stop. Keep you foot on the floor. You'll see what it's got around 4500 rpm's right to the top. Then when it shifts, it pulls back to something stupid like 3500 rpm's.... :-X19

From my reading, the tuner will fix most of this. Mike from 5star pulls 10k+ with what seems to be no issues at all.

kmonty2 08-02-2011 09:51 AM

The 5 Star tunes really wake up the truck. The shift points are located in much better spots. With the 2 I have used the truck won't go into 6th until about 58 mph. And won't go into 5th until 45. You can get it there quicker if you are in M instead of D. :)

I noticed the same thing with the shifting, it just can't wait to get to the highest gear.

coobie 08-02-2011 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyballgame (Post 10642170)

JBG

I have pulled 11,000 lbs with my F250 (3.73 gear)and it pulls that weight just fine.Maybe you have some other issues?coobie

Clover_SD 08-11-2011 04:03 PM

what brands are you using for the tuners and what do they cost? Where is the best place to purchase?

Thanks
Wade

2000silverbullet 08-11-2011 04:24 PM

This guy right here:

5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services
mike@5startuning.com
843-250-0499

kmonty2 08-11-2011 07:11 PM

Mike dies a great job and you will be very happy with it, I love mine.

Super08 08-11-2011 09:01 PM

Ditto

The following errors occurred with your submission:
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

hd1937 08-12-2011 05:21 AM

What do tuners do in regards to the warranty?

Jim

love4x4 08-12-2011 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by hd1937 (Post 10688263)
What do tuners do in regards to the warranty?

Jim

They will not do it any good!!! You may have a battle on your hands getting certain things repaired under warranty if they find out you have a tuner.

That said my truck gets terrible mileage since I lifted it 4" and added 35" tires. Still plenty of power tho. :-huh

Anyway, my service advisor said to get a tuner so I can program in the tires,etc!!!! BUT do not get a heads up display model. Get something like a Hypertech that can easily be removed if a warranty issue comes up.

Sure, it will leave a "print" on the computer but unless they really expect the cause was from a tuner they will not look for it.

Yes, there is also a law that says they have to prove the tuner was the culprit. But I've still seen battles on tow vehicle forums.

So I'm still waffling about a tuner. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck as I have a motorcycle and Ranger for every day use.