Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Best Material for Rear Main Seal?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1084551-best-material-for-rear-main-seal.html)

maschronic 07-19-2011 02:41 PM

Best Material for Rear Main Seal??

I have a 1995 F250 4x4 with 351w motor. E40D tranny, with a dana 60 front axle.

I will be replacing my transfer case and wanted to replace the rear main seal because it is leaking. i noticed that there are different material for them. rubber, teflon, and Premium PTFE (not really sure what that is).

as far as brands goes, they have Felpro (all 3 types), Mr Gasket (red color), and Victor Reinz (rubber and teflon).

help me pick the best one. i don't mind spending money as long as it is the good stuff.

any suggestions??

Bankrupter 07-19-2011 03:01 PM

Posting to subscribe. Good question...

PauL3861 07-19-2011 05:24 PM

I would say that it's a matter of preference. I have used just about every brand out there and I have my preferences. I always had good results with Mr. Gasket but Victor Reinz is a god product as well. So is Felpro. Most of the gaskets on my truck are Felpro. They came with the kit.....

maschronic 07-19-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by PauL3861 (Post 10596765)
I would say that it's a matter of preference. I have used just about every brand out there and I have my preferences. I always had good results with Mr. Gasket but Victor Reinz is a god product as well. So is Felpro. Most of the gaskets on my truck are Felpro. They came with the kit.....

Thanks for the input Paul!! one more question for you. what about the material the gasket is made of? rubber, teflon, and Premium PTFE?? i would think rubber is the standard one. what about teflon and premium PTFE?? i would think anything must be better than rubber.

what are your thoughts?

PauL3861 07-19-2011 07:32 PM

Rubber is a very diverse material. It can be mixed and manufactured with many different components that will make it more durable, plyable, resiliant and impervious to oils. I cannot tell you for sure that teflon is the better way to go but from a wear aspect, I can tell you that teflon is a stronger material. The premium PTFE (although I cannot tell you what it is) probably means it's a better seal just because of the prefix "premium".

As is with many auto parts, there is a large selection that range in price. Although price should not dictate a product's quality; there is generally a certain degree of durability that comes with a higher price. Better quality control during the manufacturing as well as skilled labor that assembles them as compared to some foriegn (sweat shop) crap from some developing country. Since it is a rear main and it takes what it does to change it; buy yourself some assurance that it wont start leaking 6 months after you install it and spend some money and get the premium. (just my opinion) In addition, bare in mind that what you do with your truck will dictate the seal's life . i.e.... plowing, towing,, spinning tires in mud bogs, etc, etc, etc......... Good luck

ford390gashog 07-19-2011 07:58 PM

Stay with a rubber seal! The Teflon seals work a little different as they are double lipped seals and wear out the crank surface and that requires a speedy sleeve on the crank to fix the groove!! A good rubber one will work just fine for you!!! Also PTFE is just another name for DuPont's trademark Teflon!