Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   2005 front end noise: woomp woomp? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1084155-2005-front-end-noise-woomp-woomp.html)

TXHillCountry 07-18-2011 10:47 AM

2005 front end noise: woomp woomp?

This is driving me crazy. This noise has been going on for many, many months now, but has been "livable".

2005 Expy 2WD Eddie Baur, 5.4L.

I get a noise which seems to be from the front end, hard to describe except to say it sounds like a tire/rim is out of balance. You can hear it from about 15-20mph up through 60ish, but it is most noticeable around 40-50mph. Kind of a (don't laugh) "woomp woomp woomp" sound from the front, increases in frequency with speed.

I've swapped out front tires / rims, and have replaced the front brake rotors and pads (just went with Powerslots and Hawk carbon fiber like on my F250.) Doesn't seem to have changed at all.

I'm at a loss. The front wheel bearings seem to be fine, at least as far as I can tell, no noticeable noise when turning them by hand.

Any suggestions would be welcome, I'm at a loss. U-joint? Front bearings? Other? Just don't know.

On a side note, I had the "grinding" sound while turning left or right from a stop, was the limited slip clutch pack about a year ago, and that is now going out again. Sheesh.

Thanks a million in advance,
TX

alloro 07-18-2011 11:49 AM

If you're sure the noise from the front, then the only things left are the hubs. Bearings might not make noise when the tire is off the ground for testing because one, there's no weight on it, and two, you're not turning it at 20+ MPH to get the noise to start happening.

TXHillCountry 07-18-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by alloro (Post 10590566)
If you're sure the noise from the front, then the only things left are the hubs. Bearings might not make noise when the tire is off the ground for testing because one, there's no weight on it, and two, you're not turning it at 20+ MPH to get the noise to start happening.

That's what I was thinking, which is why I haven't ruled out the front bearings. Here's another "unscientific" observation: when going down an uneven "wavy" road, when coming off a rise and you are more "airborne", the noise gets slightly less, which lends support to your weight on the hubs theory.

My next "throw parts at it" strategy was to drop the $300 for a pair of new front hubs, but I thought I'd go fishing here first before doing that.

And also because I've been fooled before by the location of sounds. That limited slip clutch pack in the rear end sounded like it was coming from the front. These noises can be deceiving, so I haven't ruled other locations out.

Thanks!

alloro 07-18-2011 12:59 PM

Only $139.95 a pair here, including shipping: EXPEDITION NAVIGATOR 2WD FRONT WHEEL HUB BEARING 03-06 | eBay

TXHillCountry 07-18-2011 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by alloro (Post 10590879)
Only $139.95 a pair here, including shipping: EXPEDITION NAVIGATOR 2WD FRONT WHEEL HUB BEARING 03-06 | eBay

I had seen that listing. I think the picture makes the auction confusing. It's only for one hub. There is no left and right specific hub, one hub part number fits either side. So the auction is for one hub, that fits either left or right.

tnx, TX

alloro 07-18-2011 08:53 PM

Yeah I see what you mean now. I hate when they do that with the pictures. Anyway here's a PAIR for $228.24 (including shipping) which is still less than the $300.00 you mentioned above: 2 WHEEL HUB FRONT EXPEDITION NAVIGATOR 2WD 03 04 05 06 | eBay

TXHillCountry 07-18-2011 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by alloro (Post 10593210)
Yeah I see what you mean now. I hate when they do that with the pictures. Anyway here's a PAIR for $228.24 (including shipping) which is still less than the $300.00 you mentioned above: 2 WHEEL HUB FRONT EXPEDITION NAVIGATOR 2WD 03 04 05 06 | eBay

Great price! Thanks for the heads up!

TX

TXHillCountry 07-29-2011 10:21 AM

Two new front hubs installed. No luck.

Made absolutely no change in the noise. I'm running out of things to replace! New Powerslot rotors, carbon fiber brake pads, two new hubs.

Any other ideas?

If not, as much as I hate to, I may have to leave it with a mechanic to be test driven.

Thanks in advance!

TX

ronjeremy6 07-29-2011 08:45 PM

I'm glad i'm not the only one. My 05 has done this since I bought it in 2008. It was a certified pre-owned with brand new Michelin LTX tires. At first i was thinking it was just a tire with a bad belt or something, but the sound doesn't change when you rotate tires.

Sent it in for new rotors and pads a couple weeks ago and had the shop check the front end for wear. Everything checked out ok, and that supports your findings after installing hub assemblys.

I have no idea what is causing the sound either. Keep us posted!

TXHillCountry 08-15-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ronjeremy6 (Post 10637413)
I'm glad i'm not the only one. My 05 has done this since I bought it in 2008. It was a certified pre-owned with brand new Michelin LTX tires. At first i was thinking it was just a tire with a bad belt or something, but the sound doesn't change when you rotate tires.

Sent it in for new rotors and pads a couple weeks ago and had the shop check the front end for wear. Everything checked out ok, and that supports your findings after installing hub assemblys.

I have no idea what is causing the sound either. Keep us posted!

Beyond what I've already done, I'm just not that familiar with the front suspension / drivetrain. It just seems that something is worn out, bent, out of alignment, out of shape, etc.

Does anyone have ANY idea of what else to look at on the front end?

Thanks!

RedHorse1 08-15-2011 02:32 PM

Sounds like you've subjected the front end to a serious inquisition and nobody confessed. How about the drive train and rear end, maybe the u-joints or CV joints?

TXHillCountry 08-15-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by RedHorse1 (Post 10699780)
Sounds like you've subjected the front end to a serious inquisition and nobody confessed. How about the drive train and rear end, maybe the u-joints or CV joints?

I think you may be right. I'm going to start working my way back.

Back when the rear end diff limited slip clutch pack when out, you would only feel it when turning right or left from a stop, and it totally felt like something was binding up front. I would have never guessed it was from the back.

I may be chasing phantoms up front (with real $$) :)

TX

bumparker 08-16-2011 07:17 AM

I've got a 2003 EB 2WD and it does the same thing. I had a wheel hub start going bad but the noise would change if under load and I was able to determine whcih hub was bad...changed both to be safe. I have the rear end clutch shudder which I keep under control with lots of friction modifier, but before I knew what it was I thought for sure it was coming from the front. The whoomp, whoomp noise sounds like one or more tires, but I run Michelins and they have been great tires and the sound does not change when rotated. It makes sense that the noise may be coming from somewhere else in the drivetrain. If you ever figure it out please let the rest of us know. It seems to be more of an annoyance than a serious concern right now.

bumparker 09-03-2011 12:45 PM

This is a followup. The Michelins were finally worn out and I got new tires on Friday. I planned to get another brand (Cooper) at Discount but they messed up my appointment and did not have the tires I ordered in stock. Instead they upgraded me to Dunlop Rover (they also said if I did not like them they will change them in the first 30 days no charge). Anyway, long story short, the whoomp noise is completely gone. The Michelins lasted over 50k miles and were always in balance...actually a great tire...but apparently they also made the noise. I'll let you know if I like the Dunlops of not, so far I have been pleased with the change.

bumparker 09-06-2011 10:02 AM

Followup on the new tires. Drove from Houston to Austin and back over the weekend. Had the Expy loaded down with people and running late, mostly 80mph on the way and 70-75mph on the way back. These tires are very quiet, I can't believe how much of a difference. Rolling and turning resistance appear to be improved, tracking is good. Can't say whether any improvement in gas mileage. Even though these were not the tires I had planned to buy, I think I'll keep them just the same. $620 installed for 4 with a $100 rebate = net $520. I'm pleased with the result.:-jammin