Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   How to remove driver door panel? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/108284-how-to-remove-driver-door-panel.html)

bobward737 03-29-2003 10:29 PM

How to remove driver door panel?

:confused:

Hey everyone..

haynes manual in hand, still skittish about removing driver's side door panel on my 97 to access mirror bolts to change mirror.

The power window/lock wires are so darn short. How do you get those plugs out of the switchplate? Which is the locking tab? Did not want to "pull a wire out.."

Next, there are a bunch of screws? Where? How many clips? Lift UP on the panel, right?

Any experienced suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll do my 4WD switch next. saw teh tthread - that's me too. Clicks all by itself electrically between 2WD and 4WD only when I'm in 4WD. Pain in ... ...

Thanks for you help, Bob

the4by4freek 03-30-2003 08:52 AM

Bob, First Thing you need to remove is the plastic sail panel at the top of the door panel......little triangle peice right in the front. This removes by poping out the top and then lifting straight up on the piece. There is one screw there, it needs to be removed. Next you need to pop out window switch panel. Do this by pulling straight up on panel, there is a clip in front and one in the rear. There is also a screw in there. The wiring clips are pretty straight foward, use a small screwdriver and gently pry up on the lock, while at the same time wiggling the plugs loose. Last screw is located under the courtesy light lens in the bottom of the door. Pop the lens off but be carufull not to break the little tabs off. You will see a screw bechind the lens that needs to be removed. Then lift the panel straight up until the clips are free, then remove door panel, DON'T FORGET! you will need to unplug mirror control wiring and courtesy light wiring after panel is off! Hope this helps! Oh by the way, passenger side is the same also, just not as many wires!

ms6073 03-31-2003 09:07 AM

Bob,

I think the first thing you need to do is get yourself some real service documentation! In my experience, Haynes manuals have good picutres, but I have had so many instances of downright incorrect information that I try to avoid them now. I used a Haynes manual as a reference to do a routine tuneup on my '92 Mazda Miata a few years ago. You know what, the Miata came with a 1.6L engine from 89 until 93 and a 1.8L engine from 94 onward but the manual did not differentiate and it took an extra 2-hours to get the correct spark plug wire sequence!

I would suggest that you consider getting a Ford Service CD from Ebay (usually $5-$10) or you might want to visit Flat Rate Tech and make a $25 donation for which in return you will shortly recieve a Ford Service DVD (the same one Ford service technicians use) that will cover all Ford vehicles for almost all model years since '96 (several options to choose from).

Michael

PaulC 03-31-2003 10:12 AM

It's critical to remember that the door panel slides UP for removal. Pulling the panel out (horizontally) will guarantee broken, irrepairable mounting clips.