Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Rear view camera - random problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1082127-rear-view-camera-random-problem.html)

DrewF 07-10-2011 11:01 PM

Rear view camera - random problem

I picked up my new truck last Friday, and already the rear view camera is having a problem.

Sometimes it comes on, and is all fuzzy and black and white.
Other times, it comes up solid blue, then the display goes off.

Guess I'll be making my first trip to the dealer.....but it wont be the selling dealer, as they are about 70 minutes away.

Anyone else had this issue? I did a quick search, and nothing came up.

nebmike 07-10-2011 11:36 PM

I've had mine about six weeks now, and have experienced the same exact thing. In addition, I've had times where it wouldnt shut off when going from reverse to drive -- it would stay on until I shifted into park.

I'm not too concerned about it, so I'll just wait until I need to be at the dealership for something else...

kper05 07-11-2011 07:22 AM

Best option is to visit your dealer for this one.
Also if you're concerned about whether or not you'll be able to reproduce the issue at the dealer, take a video of what happens so you'll have that if you need it.

DrewF 07-11-2011 07:26 AM

Yeah, I have already taken photo documentation of the issue. This way the dealer tech knows I am not making things up.

doczenith1 07-11-2011 02:01 PM

Mine has done the b/w fuzzy a few times as well. Seems like it happens when its hot out and the camera has been in direct sunlight for a while. Out of curiosity, do you guys have the NAV system or standard radio? I have the standard radio.

DrewF 07-11-2011 02:19 PM

I have the standard radio too.

nebmike 07-11-2011 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by DrewF (Post 10562146)
I have the standard radio too.

Same here.

carpbob 07-11-2011 07:05 PM

Have you taken the tailgate off for line-x or anything? If so check the plug.

DrewF 07-11-2011 07:21 PM

Not yet. I'll probably check the plug. It seems to work after I open/close the tailgate. I checked the wire where it comes out of the bed and into the tailgate, but it looks fine.

Double-Trouble 07-11-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DrewF (Post 10563325)
Not yet. I'll probably check the plug. It seems to work after I open/close the tailgate. I checked the wire where it comes out of the bed and into the tailgate, but it looks fine.

I would take the cover off the tailgate and check for a loose ground. If I didn't want to take it to the dealer.:D

cabindoc 07-18-2011 08:14 PM

You might also try taking the radio out and check the connection to the back of the radio.

grantschim 07-19-2011 05:18 PM

I've had my 2011 for several months and the rear-view camera has worked flawlessly. I have the Nav System.

2horses 07-19-2011 05:50 PM

Mine has been flawless with the NAV system - maybe it's more of a display issue than a camera issue? Since all of y'all that are having the same problem have the same rear view mirror display, it could be the problem instead. Maybe it's heat related.

lkbrow1 07-19-2011 07:08 PM

The wiring to the camera video is a coax cable. Right before the plug that allows you to disconnect the tailgate the coax is spliced back to regular wires that go into the connector. You could have an intermittent connection there. If the video signal is weak the display will remain blue until it times out then goes blank. If a video signal is strong enough, the camera stays on after shifting into drive until you reach a minimum speed. I can back out of my drive way, pull up to my mail box, read a letter, and the camera will stay on until I leave the mail box.
I removed my tailgate and connected a camera to the harness that was in a license plate holder.
that's how I got so familiar with the functionality.

Painted Horse 07-19-2011 10:50 PM

"I removed my tailgate and connected a camera to the harness that was in a license plate holder. that's how I got so familiar with the functionality."

Did your license plate camera plug into the harness or did you do a splice. I've been wanting to add a camera on the back of my trailer for when I back into dark spots when days get shorter.