Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   2.3l no spark at two plugs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1080673-2-3l-no-spark-at-two-plugs.html)

samiam1017 07-05-2011 05:54 PM

2.3l no spark at two plugs

i have a 94 ranger with the 2.3l engine there is no spark at the ignition modual (the front one both on the drivers side) that controls the plugs on the drivers side of the engine. i swapped with the modual for the exhaust side but the problem stays at the same two plus and doesnt move with the modual what can be the source of this problem? ECU? thanks in advance

FireMe 07-05-2011 10:15 PM

There isn't any spark at the ignition module. Are you talking about the coil packs? If you swapped the coils and there is still no spark then you need to test the wiring for that coil to the PCM. If the wiring tests good, then replace the PCM.

dorman68 07-06-2011 06:20 AM

I would try a fresh set of spark plug wires. I had a similar issue about a year ago and new wires cured by problem.

tomw 07-06-2011 06:26 AM

I thought the drivers side spark plugs were only active in certain circumstances. In other words, they don't fire all the time. I may be wrong, but have you tried putting a timing light on one of the plug wires and watching if it fires at all? It may be normal.
Do you have any codes or CEL/SES light lit on the dash?
tom

KhanTyranitar 07-06-2011 09:27 AM

Sounds like normal operation. The drivers side plugs are not supposed to fire at startup. Replacing the PCM will not change the result, the EDIS system is a standalone ignition controller, the PCM does not control spark directly. The computer only controls timing and dwell.

pawpaw 07-06-2011 10:20 AM

Which two plug cyl numbers don't have spark????

I like tomw's idea to check for spark with a timing light.

If no joy, check the coil packs primary windings for continuity & it's electrical connector for B+ to each coil primary winding at KOEO.

If that checks out, suspect the coilpacks ground wiring for the troubled coil, all the way back to the computer, as it supplys the coilpacks primary ground switching, to operate the coil packs to fire the spark plugs, so if the ground wiring checks out ok, suspect the computers ground switching driver has a problem.

If all that checks out ok, check the end to end resistance of the two troubled plug wires.
They should measure about 1000 ohms/inch of length, 30k ohms max, no matter the length.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

trvitesse 03-24-2014 04:35 PM

Right side of front coil not firing

Have a 1994 For ranger with the 2.3Liter engine. Front coil on right side not firing. Checked coil, Okay. Found problem to be ICM. Purchased a new from Napa. Model TP503. Corrected firing problem but now the truck will only run for 1 - 2 minutes before stalling. Returned the ICM back to Napa
and exchanged for more expensive unit. Model TP503SB. Same problem occurred. Returned unit back to Napa. After some conversations with the manager. Store refunded my money. Purchased used Motorcraft unit from wrecking yard. Truck runs great!!
Some of the aftermarket ICM's are not compatible.