Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   How much is this truck worth??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1077805-how-much-is-this-truck-worth.html)

minnesotaford 06-24-2011 12:19 PM

How much is this truck worth???

Hey,
I am new to this thread, and i am sick of driving around my crappy old station wagon XD, so i have saved enough money to buy a truck of my own, i have gone off-roading and mudding with my brother and uncle several times, now i have found this truck, how much is it worth? is it a good deal? any opionions? link is below
thanks,
Luke

FORD F150 "HUGE"

andym 06-24-2011 12:29 PM

If you've never had a truck before and don't know much about building them for offroad, I would steer clear of this one. When you buy something that has been heavily modified from the factory, there are only a few right ways to do it and a million wrong ways. Most people do it the wrong way, not because they are lazy or cheap, but because they just don't know how to do it. A poorly built lifted/offroad truck is a rolling money pit, and in the worst case, deadly.

I can almost guarantee that this truck was built wrong simply because the owner picked the wrong truck to start with. Lifting an F-150 9" and putting 40" tires on it is just plain stupid. The first time you take it out on a trail it's going to break. Half-ton components like the brakes, axles, and frame are just not strong enough to handle that much tire and lift. Also, the 302/5 speed combination is about the worst one out there for power and durability. The 302 is more of a race motor and is better suited in a mustang, not in a lifted truck. You want something with a lot of power and cubic inches. The 302 has neither. The M5OD is a decent tranny in stock form, but it won't last long with those big tires on it.

Bankrupter 06-24-2011 12:40 PM

Only reason id buy that truck is for parts. tire/wheel combo, lift kit, bed, fenders, hood. Even then 3K is too high of a parts truck price for myself. 1700 I may jump on it knowing the rubber is near = to 300 a pop alone. As Andy said, it could be the last truck you ever own/drive if done wrong and puts you face to face with a hard wood tree... Seeing its a F 150 it is done wrong w/o reading about the rear end upgrades, it does not have!

mturnbull50 06-24-2011 12:48 PM

I agree with andym for the most part. That much lift on a half ton chassis is just too much for it to handle. The 5.0 even with a 5 speed just doesn't have the stones to push that much truck. Even most professionals don't build anything extreme on that small of a chassis.

nstueve 06-24-2011 02:04 PM

351w with a cam and heads and c6 tranny is about the lowest I would have gone on that truck...

Josh88Ford 06-25-2011 04:34 AM

Lets be honest, no half or 3/4 ton ford is the best mud truck due to the TTB front axle. At the same time, its going to be hard to have a mud truck, and daily driver. There will be some sacrifices if you want both.

I am not sure where your located, but I have my 1988 f150 for sale in the Mankato area. Still a 1/2 ton, but is a little more realistically built for a daily driver and occasional mud hole. 90% of the wrenches turned were done with my two hands. built or installed everything from the 4" lift to the custom bumpers to installed gt-40heads. Engine was tore down to heads to retourqe roller rockers less than 5k ago. Vacuum hoses, sensors, tune up ect were done at that time. Truck was well taken care of and only mudded once or twice.

1988 F150

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e/108_9051.jpg

andym 06-25-2011 12:05 PM

Yeah, but you use Fram oil filters. :)

Josh88Ford 06-25-2011 11:28 PM

I changed the oil every 2-3k and it looks like warm maple syrup:-X22

nstueve 06-28-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Josh88Ford (Post 10503551)
I changed the oil every 2-3k and it looks like warm maple syrup:-X22

we've had this discussion on here 100 times already... doesn't matter how often you change your oil if you don't use a good filter. You oil could look like warm maple syrup and still have particles large enough in it to cause damage to the main and cam berings.

better filter = better filter media = particle size to small to do damage to engine :D

I personally run castrol gtx and a WIX for 5K... why not spend $2 more dollars and run it 2000 more miles.

Redneck1465 06-28-2011 08:58 AM

Hahaha I have seen that truck running around Kato before.