Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   5.4l Keeps killing Coil Packs! Need help! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1071183-5-4l-keeps-killing-coil-packs-need-help.html)

Marisa Cloessner 01-11-2012 11:06 AM

Same problem

I've been having the same problem with my '99 F-250 (5.4L) I replaced all 8 coil packs in April and have had to replace one or more every month or so since. I'm using Granatelli Hot Street coil packs, which have a lifetime warranty, so the cost is not a factor. It's the inconvenience and the huge difference in gas mileage. The only thing that shows on the computer is 'automatic misfire disabled'. I can't even find anyone who knows what that means. The Ford dealership told me to change plugs, coils, and cam sensor, all of which has been done. The Granatelli tech is stumped as well. The only time this truck is in the mud is on the roads at my deer lease and that's not often. Especially considering we've been in a drought for months. Otherwise, it occasionally gets washed, but no water under the hood. There hasn't been any indication that it's 'wet'. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the help. TIA!

phil6608 01-11-2012 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Marisa Cloessner (Post 11268481)
I've been having the same problem with my '99 F-250 (5.4L) I replaced all 8 coil packs in April and have had to replace one or more every month or so since. I'm using Granatelli Hot Street coil packs, which have a lifetime warranty, so the cost is not a factor. It's the inconvenience and the huge difference in gas mileage. The only thing that shows on the computer is 'automatic misfire disabled'. I can't even find anyone who knows what that means. The Ford dealership told me to change plugs, coils, and cam sensor, all of which has been done. The Granatelli tech is stumped as well. The only time this truck is in the mud is on the roads at my deer lease and that's not often. Especially considering we've been in a drought for months. Otherwise, it occasionally gets washed, but no water under the hood. There hasn't been any indication that it's 'wet'. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the help. TIA!

Are you replacing the same ones or on all different cylinders?
In my opinion, granatelli COPs are junk!

la90043 01-13-2012 12:07 AM

most likely it is bad/old/worn out spark plugs.

Marisa Cloessner 01-17-2012 02:44 PM

re:same problem

It's different ones every time it seems. When I replace one, it'll last about 2 weeks and it, or a different one, will go out. I'm beginning to think the same thing about Granatelli. It's irritating to spend that much money on something and just have to keep spending. Ugh! I just want my truck to run like it's supposed to.

No, it's not the plugs. It has new platinum plugs in it. I've replaced the plugs twice since April.

la90043 01-17-2012 10:34 PM

They are the correct plugs? Gapped right/correctly? If you can confirm this. Then you can elimnate it as possible causes.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=12&...w=1056&bih=531

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...w=1056&bih=531

JWA 01-23-2012 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Marisa Cloessner (Post 11268481)

Hey Marisa----it seems I'm potentially having a problem with Granatelli COP's too but not the Hot Street version, just the stock replacement versions, maybe 25K volts?. When the outside temps drop I get the SEL and a somewhat rough idle at first start up. Shutting down then re-firing seems to self correct and for the remainder of the day no other similar issues.

My code scanner always shows cylinder misfires so its been suggested I begin noticing which cylinders are misfiring. Any consistency in the same one(s) continually indicated strongly suggests its the COP's themselves. Since I kept the OEM COP's I'll swap them out one by one to see if has any effect.

The cam sensor was also mentioned as a potential source for our situation so we both might be onto something.

Having bought the Granatelli's new for just under $200 I'll hate knowing it wasn't a good investment but it very well might turn out to be just that. I'm glad I kept my originals and if this is the problem I'll never again go with this sort of thing.

critterf1 02-02-2012 10:10 PM

Have experienced nothing but trouble with the Granatelli's.

72gavek 12-03-2014 09:52 AM

???

Did anyone figure out the problem with the multiple cops going bad???
I have the same problem!

I have a 2004 ford f150 with a 5.4l. I recently replaced all 8 spark plugs and coils. Since then (august) Ive had 3 coils go bad, all on different cylinders. Yesterday I was driving home and felt that notorious miss fire. took the truck to get the code read and I got a P0303. why do these coils keep going bad? I've checked wiring, connections I am at a loss!

JWA 12-04-2014 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 72gavek (Post 14872268)
Did anyone figure out the problem with the multiple cops going bad???
I have the same problem!

I have a 2004 ford f150 with a 5.4l. I recently replaced all 8 spark plugs and coils. Since then (august) Ive had 3 coils go bad, all on different cylinders. Yesterday I was driving home and felt that notorious miss fire. took the truck to get the code read and I got a P0303. why do these coils keep going bad? I've checked wiring, connections I am at a loss!

What brand are you using? Where do you live, have the temps over night suddenly dropped and it stay cold all night long?

70f100longbed 12-04-2014 11:29 AM

Are you replacing the plug too? it could have carbon tracks on the porcelain.

72gavek 12-05-2014 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 14875038)
What brand are you using? Where do you live, have the temps over night suddenly dropped and it stay cold all night long?

I replaced all the plugs with motorcraft and the cops are Summit Racing Brand. I'm in ohio.. It's been a little cold here but nothing serious. The first 2 that went bad was when the weather was still warm.

72gavek 12-05-2014 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 70f100longbed (Post 14875440)
Are you replacing the plug too? it could have carbon tracks on the porcelain.

I did the plugs the same time I did the coils

JWA 12-05-2014 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 72gavek (Post 14877303)
I replaced all the plugs with motorcraft and the cops are Summit Racing Brand. I'm in ohio.. It's been a little cold here but nothing serious. The first 2 that went bad was when the weather was still warm.

So I'm guessing the COP's were about $200 for the set? If so that could be one reason they're failing like this.

I bought a set of Grantelli's from Jeg's, one failed within the first two months---warranty replaced. (Replacement taking place in April, Cols OH.) Next winter when temps fell below 28* overnight I'd have noticeable misfire and MIL triggered. When engine warmed I could stop then immediately restart it without any noticeable misfires (MIL still lit naturally until clearing the codes.) This happened time after time and because it was manageable with the restart it wasn't a huge priority.

The original COP's had about 210K miles have been used to replace the failing Granatelli's and they are working just fine, weather conditions not affecting them at all.

Long story short going the cheap route with COP's tends to cause problems for more than sticking with original MotorCraft. NAPA makes a nice part but even with my "discount" they're $72 or more. :eek:

I'd check around for new MotorCraft, online or brick & mortar stores nearby, even the stealership OR the FTE sponser here, White Lake Ford?

NAPA also sells a Belden/USA boot for about $5 each, p/n 702418.

HTH

heymrdj 12-15-2014 07:13 PM

COP failure should be considered a decently high cost engine maintenance and repair item. I've only had luck with the Motocraft ones. Expect 400-450$ shipped for the cheap side of a genuine set.

F250wilm 12-26-2014 01:41 PM

coils

Also verify cop check resistance make sure that's the issue also verify egr valve is operating correcte