Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   How To: Power Steering Pump Replacement (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1069519-how-to-power-steering-pump-replacement.html)

ArdWrknTrk 09-22-2015 05:08 AM

Pretty sure that line fits the now extinct Cardone modified pump.

My pump is 1986.
There are a lot of metric fasteners on vehicles of this vintage.

DPDISXR4Ti 09-22-2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 15661766)
Pretty sure that line fits the now extinct Cardone modified pump.

Okay, got it. The '79 F250 line only applied to the non-original Cardone pump, now discontinued.

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 15661766)
My pump is 1986. There are a lot of metric fasteners on vehicles of this vintage.

I suspect nowadays most of us would be getting the donor from a '80/90's E-series van. It would be helpful to know which line might work as-is with this pump, both for the I6 and V8 engines (if there's a difference).

ArdWrknTrk 09-22-2015 09:24 AM

Since I have V-belt front dress I went with an '86 460 pump and mounts.
You need the pulley from the Saginaw, they have a different bore/shaft than the C2 style.
Not sure when Windsors went serpentine but I do know the 351HO was carbed and V through 87.

Eric3501 02-04-2016 07:12 PM

OK, I know this is an older thread but hope someone catches this anyway....I have a '89 F-250 with a 302. I finally got it to start and took it for a short drive, and it weaved all over the place. Got home and checked the power steering fluid. Nothing showing on the stick. However there was no whine from the pump at all. Now, will the weaving go away by fill and bleeding the air out, or should I be looking at something else?

88n94 02-04-2016 08:37 PM

I don't think adding power steering fluid will do anything to get rid of the weaving. I would add TYPE F automatic transmission fluid to bring it up to the proper level anyway though.

As far as the weaving I would suspect worn tie rod ends or a worn drag link.

Eric3501 02-05-2016 12:33 AM

Thank you for the reply 88n94. I kind of figured it would be something along those lines. I questioned my sister, who I got the truck from, and she said it has done this weaving wondering since they owned it. Come to find out, the power steering has been leaking for a while. She said her husband had put some sort of oil with something like Barr's stop leak in it because they could not find the leak. How far he went to find the leak I'm not sure. But then the truck wasn't used very much for the last four years, and then I got it.... If the price wasn't so cheap, I wouldn't have but it was more to help SIS out more than anything. Interior needs redone, cheaper to put a good motor in it from a dismantler than to fix this one, power steering issues. gauge issues. Second fuel tank don't work, etc. Definitely going to be a long project...By the time I finish it, it will almost be a new truck...Just trying to get it well enough I can use it around the house as I work on it. Keep things lubed and moving so to speak. Thank you again. Eric