Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   New Project: 1966 FOrd F100, Short Bed, Help!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1069022-new-project-1966-ford-f100-short-bed-help.html)

militos 05-22-2011 03:36 PM

New Project: 1966 FOrd F100, Short Bed, Help!!

Hello amigos, recently (last weekend) I got this one new Project, it is a 1966 Ford F100, Short Bed,
Modifications have been done to this truck:
Original engine I think it was a 3 with 3 on the three (was removed)

upgrades done from pervius owner:
1-Engine apears to be a V8 302 4Brrl Edelbrook Carb.
Trans: 4 speed old trans stick, I dont know anything about this transmission?

I'll place some pictues here see if some one can help me figure out the trans, I want to know if this Trans is IDeal for this Engine/Truck please.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2/PICT0026.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2/PICT0027.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2/PICT0031.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2/PICT0032.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2/PICT0038.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2/PICT0040.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2/PICT0042.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2/PICT0043.jpg

the Reason I removed the Transmission is because in my way home driving the truck, the truck catched on fire from sme oil leak at the end of the tail shaft of the transmission,,some one installed the drive shaft with out shorten it down,,when I removed the drive shaft I noticed that it was so tight ..(long, it was almost no room to slide any ways,,as the truck bounced up and down).

here are the numbers from teh Door Sticker/Tag: Help with teh Diferential GEar ratio please:

P1F1OAK879459
115 F100 461 C 09
05000 129 4000 740835

The transmission need to go to the transmission shop, the tail shaft/ousing got so hot, that the jocke is stock to the transmission end, I try to pound it out with a mallet hammer ..but I was afraid to break something , so I stop,,I'll let the profecional trans shop take care of this, but I need to know if this is the corect way to go, or should I just find a flex plate, C6, auto to bolt down into this engine, (I like to keep teh 302 engine), I wont mind shortening the drive shaft.

thansk so much,

I'll use this truck for higway driving very much,,no fancy fasting or showing off at takes off.

thanksagain.:-drink ceveza to every one.

Wills1966F100 05-22-2011 09:38 PM

I know! I hate it when the dang thing catches on fire. :eek: It's embarrassing lol. :o Note to self to buy another fire extinguisher. I had a '69 VW burn down after a long road trip. I couldn't save it and had to walk away. :(

I don't know what is ideal but you've got a nice truck :-X22 and it looks like that's a toploader four speed transmission. "If the tailshaft is marked C4AR 7A040-A it's from a Galaxie: 1964/67 with a 390 engine." -- Post#5

From the numbers you posted the original 240/3-speed transmission are gone. The original rear end is supposed to be a 3.7:1. Since the others have been replaced I would check and ID the rear end.

militos 05-22-2011 10:56 PM

Ha,,Willis, yo are so great,,thansk very much,,that's what exctly I was doing,,I tock on the truck after the old owner told me that the truck was running great,,,and 20 miles afeter,,Chakuaz!!!fire and smoke all over,and not t finish there,,I called AAA, and the driver hooked the truck behind ,,because he hve another car that he just picked up on top of th tow truck,,so I noticed thast he tock like few hrs to delivery the truck,,so I told him (dark atnight by then ) to just parked i te stret,,two days after I went to star the truck,,and it was loud as hell!!somewer ehe the driver of the tow truck hit something underthe truck,,and the whole oassanger Exhaust pipe and moffler came off, it was missing!!! I was like Haha,ha,ha this things only can happend to me.

Any ways I will save the drama,,I got great attitud about this issues,,nothig i stoping me from restoring the hack of this truck.

Is great to hear that the trans is from a heavycar,,the Galaxy,,that way I'l keeped,,I'm just going to rebuilt it before I put it back in to the truck.

and the Rear end seems to be the one you have mentioned,,because te RPM was a little hig at 65 on the high way...I may look fr a smaller one like 3.0, something around there to help wit the RPM onhigh way,.

Thanks very much Sir.

Hope every one stll on mother Eart after the Great rapt day that people are anouncing here in California,,,,I don't think anyone was lifted out to heaven by God?? do anyone is missing any relatives??

Adios.

Wills1966F100 05-23-2011 12:57 AM

Sorry to hear about the missing exhaust and muffler. Talk to AAA, they may be able to help? I hope you can get another one cheap. I have two good nine inch rear ends I keep and use on my truck: 2.75:1 and 3.25:1. I have the 3.25:1 on the truck right now. I'm liking it. There is a test you can do with one tire off the ground. You chalk mark the drum and the driveshaft and turn the wheel and count the driveshaft revolutions to discover the gearing. I would give that a try. No rapture to report lol. :) Good luck with the new project truck militos!

NumberDummy 05-23-2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by militos (Post 10372757)
P1?? F10AK879459 // 115 F100 481 C 09 05000 129 4000 740835

Welcome to FTE

1961/80: The VIN is 11 digits. What that P1 is doing there, I haven't a clue.

F10 = F100 2WD

A = 240 1V I-6.

K = Kansas City MO Assembly Plant.

879459 = 1966, assembled July 1966.

115" Wheelbase.

COLOR code blank.

F100 2WD, 5,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

481: 4 = Medium Beige Crush Vinyl & Medium Beige Wicker Pattern Vinyl / 81 = 81A Standard Cab.

C = Ford type 3.03 3 Speed Manual all Syncromesh Transmission.

09 = Ford 9" Rear Axle / 3.70-1 / non Limited Slip / 3,300 lb. Rear Axle Capacity.

5,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

129 net HP @ 4,000 RPM

740835:

74 = Seattle WA Ford District Sales Office, where the original selling dealer ordered the truck from.

0835 = Domestic Special Order number. The truck was ordered special by the original purchaser, not bought off the lot.

Since the COLOR code is blank, the truck was painted a non standard color by FoMoCo per the original purchasers request. This makes the truck a Domestic Special Order.

militos 06-02-2011 12:00 AM

Sorry for the delay,,I havent been in my garage so much lately,,hoping that teh dramam of driving that truck home whent away.

Thanks very much for the decoding of the VIn number ,, number Dammy.

I'll start looking for the fixing of the transmission, I think it will be easy to get one from the junk yard..I don't know,,may get a automatic to stop messing around.

thanks.

Wills1966F100 06-02-2011 09:35 PM

There are a lot of three speed C4 and C6 automatic transmissions out there, but try to find a four speed AOD or better transmission if possible. Especially if you will be doing any highway driving because it will save you some gas money. Good luck at the junkyard. Let me know what you decide to do. :-X22 Thanks, Will.

militos 06-03-2011 11:45 AM

Thanks Seņor Wills1966F100, Defenitly I'll try the Over drive 4Speed auto trans, I always wanna to do that, but, can some one please tell me about what I need other than the transmission with the bell housing, to attach to the 302 engine that I have right now?

Te drive shaft wont be an issue, I cna take care of the modification, but what I really care is the part where the trans meets the engine, like flyex plate, ocnverter, and the Starter type.....and so on.

if some one gime a hint..I'll go and get me a rebult 4 speed over drive trans by next week.

Thanks very much.

urquidezp 06-03-2011 02:17 PM

I would definitely get an aod that's what my truck has it ran good and I also have a 302 on it

Pancho

militos 06-03-2011 02:23 PM

There Mister Pancho, will you please give me some details about how much work was to instal this great AOD transmission to your 302 engine?

thanks very much, I'm sure that more than my self will be real happy to read that technical part of this.

until than, Adios amigo.

I'm the one that carries A Chupacabra skin Wallet, and drink XX ( Dos Equis Beer), la cerveza.

ha.

thanks.

Wills1966F100 06-03-2011 10:23 PM

I have never done it but I don't think it's a big deal to swap in an AOD? You are going to need to access a lift and transmission jack etc. If you've got the tools and can handle the drive shaft modification then you are the right man to do the job. :-X22 I would just search for F100/F250/Mustang etc. already having a 302 with a good AOD transmission and have them pull it all and the cross member in case you need it.

I don't always drink beer but when I do, I prefer... a big frosty mug of root beer lol. :-drink

urquidezp 06-03-2011 10:36 PM

Yo pura tecate roja haha well I got the tranny off like a mustang or crown vic. The old ones with a 302 then I got the flex plate off a 89 crown Vic and the starter off the same car. I think u need to cut the drive shaft and get it balanced so u wont feel the vibrations.

Pancho

NumberDummy 06-04-2011 05:08 AM

Senor Pancho: Be aware of two things:

1) The cost to overhaul an AOD can be as much 3 grand!

2) The AOD was the worst A/T Ford ever made. Notorious for frying its guts in heavy stop and go traffic.

You prolly know, or know of my uncle, he's been one of Douglas' most prominent 'characters' since the 1950's.

urquidezp 06-04-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 10420675)

2) The AOD was the worst A/T Ford ever made. Notorious for frying its guts in heavy stop and go traffic.

You prolly know, or know of my uncle, he's been one of Douglas' most prominent 'characters' since the 1950's.

whose your uncle maybe ive heard of him. sorry for the hijack

37 Ford guy 06-04-2011 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 10420675)

Hey Bill, you're being a little hard on the AOD aren't you? The early ones sucked for sure but the 88-93 were said to be much better. The dealerships might charge $3 grand to rebuild one but who amongst us would EVER pay that much to have one of these rebuilt?? This is mostly a do-it-yourself crowd and most of us would probably hit the salvage yard or craigslist and buy another one for a few hundred before spending 3K on it. Besides there are several vendors selling guaranteed rebuilt ones from $700-1300 bucks. I've also read a little about putting guts from the next generation electronic AOD into the regular AOD case makes a really strong trans. There are definitely some affordable & dependable ways to have an AOD in your truck with a little effort and research. Just a thought....:)