Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Lost ignition key (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1067200-lost-ignition-key.html)

Major Marvin 05-15-2011 02:29 PM

Lost ignition key

Lost ignition key to an 86' or 87' f350 Dually 2 wheel drive single cab. Hello, I'm been storing my friends truck for some time now and lost the key in the process. Even when I had the key, it was difficult to get the truck to turn over without cranking the steering wheel over and jogging the auto shifter. Anyhow, how can I move this pig? Can the ignition be popped like I've seen in the movies? I considered dropping the drive axle and then renting a tow dolly in which I would use a come a long to get the truck on the dolly. The uhaul stuff is pricey. Ultimately I would like to get the front wheels steering and get the tranny in neutral so I can tow it with my 97' PSD (Ionly have to move it less than a mile in the back country). Any ideas or thoughts? I'd appreciate it, ty

1984F-150_351HO 05-15-2011 03:17 PM

Sorry to hear about your problem. I would hold off on the YouHaul idea. Here is what I would do. Around the steering column there is a plastic cover with a screw securing it from the under-side. Remove this cover. This will give you access to the ignition switch and the push rod that is connected to the key lock cylinder. Disconnect the connector going to the ignition switch; unbolt the ignition switch after marking its original position with chalk. Reconnect the wire connector to the switch. You can now use a flat head screw driver to actuate the switch and get the truck moved. The lock cylinder is also relatively easy to remove and replace. Theres a pin at the underside of the lock cylinder. Insert a small punch and that should release it and allow you to pull it out. Good Luck. A side note---if the neutral safety is messed up and the truck doesn't like to start all the time in Park; place the gear selector in Neutral and then try starting it.

81-F-150-Explorer 05-15-2011 03:51 PM

Locksmith would also be an option...

Major Marvin 05-15-2011 04:08 PM

Wow, I'll have to print this out and gather the right tools. Thanks a bunch for the access info. Reps on the breakdown, Matter of fact, reps sent..

I thought of a locksmith but I'm 3 miles off the grid and about 28 miles South of Santa Fe. I'm afraid they would charge a lot, especially for 6 miles round trip on a very rocky road..

My buddy says to go ahead and sell the truck so when I Iron out this bug and some other wiring issues I'll most likely be selling it, hot motor, etc.

Franklin2 05-15-2011 04:54 PM

You can't access the release pin without the key. The key needs to be inserted and the tumbler turned before it can be accessed for release.

You are going to think I am crazy, but the standard way to deal with this is to take a large screwdriver or chisel and a hammer, get behind the chrome part of the tumbler where the key goes in, and break the chrome part off. You can then access the pin and get the tumbler out. Then simply go down to the local parts store and get a new tumbler and set of keys, insert it, and you are ready to go.

Your set of keys will not match the door locks anymore, but if you are worried about that, I would take the door locks out and take them to a locksmith and get them re-programmed to match your new keys. I have done this myself on a old 57 chevy, so it's possible you could do this also with these door tumblers, but I have never messed with these type myself as far as making them fit other keys.

Major Marvin 05-15-2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 10344853)
You can't access the release pin without the key. The key needs to be inserted and the tumbler turned before it can be accessed for release.

You are going to think I am crazy, but the standard way to deal with this is to take a large screwdriver or chisel and a hammer, get behind the chrome part of the tumbler where the key goes in, and break the chrome part off. You can then access the pin and get the tumbler out. Then simply go down to the local parts store and get a new tumbler and set of keys, insert it, and you are ready to go.

Your set of keys will not match the door locks anymore, but if you are worried about that, I would take the door locks out and take them to a locksmith and get them re-programmed to match your new keys. I have done this myself on a old 57 chevy, so it's possible you could do this also with these door tumblers, but I have never messed with these type myself as far as making them fit other keys.

So I can buy the tumbler at Pep Boys or Autozone? About how much should I be prepared to spend? ty for the info

Franklin2 05-15-2011 08:53 PM

Go to Autozone's site and punch in part no. LC14060. It's $12.99

ctubutis 05-15-2011 09:29 PM

The official procedure from Ford is here:

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 10245747)

Major Marvin 05-16-2011 09:47 AM

Wow, ty everyone for all the information.. I need to go to town today so I'll see if autozone has the part in stock..

81-F-150-Explorer 05-16-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 10344853)

Be aware that with some year models and with some options groups, the ignition (Square Headed key) did not match the doors (Oval headed Key) anyway.

This goes by year, and also by options, (Security Group) etc...

On some years with the security group, the Doors, Glove Box, and Hood Release used the same oval headed key, and the ignition used a seperate square headed key.

So if your ignition key does not match the door key, and the heads of the two keys are different shapes, then this is how it was from the factory, and you cannot make the doors and ignition match without changing the door lock tumblers to the square type, as the cut of the square key is symetrically opposite to the oval one.

Major Marvin 05-18-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 10346100)
The official procedure from Ford is here:

Hi, I've been going over these instructions but am a bit confused. Is there a way for me to "hot wire" the truck so I can at least get it in to neutral (so I can tow it via chain)? I used to be mechanically inclined but I fear that I will have trouble doing the job top to bottom as the instructions show. Right at the moment I have to move the truck about a half a mile from one property to another. I thought of a few ways but the cheapest way would be getting her into neutral and free up the steering since the truck needs a battery, etc.

85lebaront2 05-18-2011 01:42 PM

Disconnect the shift linkage so you can put it in neutral. You still won't be able to steer it unless you do something with the column lock.

Major Marvin 05-18-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 10357602)
Disconnect the shift linkage so you can put it in neutral. You still won't be able to steer it unless you do something with the column lock.

Ty, hunting for the key even still.. I just have to get it off the property where it sits..

Ty for all the help folks

Eddiec1564 05-18-2011 02:35 PM

I drill out the tumblers,pick them out of the lock and get the lock to rotate with a screw driver as the key or needle nose pilyers depending on the lock's end that goes into the actuator. And once you get the truck moved you can decide to replace the lock assy to just use the screw driver....

I just did this to my B-law's firebird after he lost his keys......

What ever you do, DO NOT brake the drill bit off inside the lock, that was not fun at all and took 4 hours to get the lock out without busting up the colum!!

Major Marvin 05-18-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eddiec1564 (Post 10357802)
I drill out the tumblers,pick them out of the lock and get the lock to rotate with a screw driver as the key or needle nose pilyers depending on the lock's end that goes into the actuator. And once you get the truck moved you can decide to replace the lock assy to just use the screw driver....

I just did this to my B-law's firebird after he lost his keys......

What ever you do, DO NOT brake the drill bit off inside the lock, that was not fun at all and took 4 hours to get the lock out without busting up the colum!!

Thanks, 1/8th inch bit or bigger?